Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396229 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #720 on: May 27, 2015, 06:28:42 pm »
We had the Roman room in my day , born to run  could enter there till 11 off the pier .

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #721 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:51 pm »
I think Mrs. Fester lights up the pier beautifully and should  be proud to see her photo on the forum.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #722 on: June 01, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »
The new owner of the Pier, Mr Adam Williams has made the decision to open the Bar, Cafe and Arcade at the Pier Head, until 10pm so I was able to fulfil my dream last night.
From the Promenade I could see the neon signs telling me that everything was open, so Mrs Fester and I made our way on.
That's great news, hope it is a success.  $good$

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #723 on: June 01, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »
I think it is great news about the facilities at the end of the Pier opening much later into the evening. However they really should do something about the poor lighting on the way down.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: June 02, 2015, 08:47:05 am »
I think it is great news about the facilities at the end of the Pier opening much later into the evening. However they really should do something about the poor lighting on the way down.
Agreed, the section by the Grand Hotel is very poorly lit, it will deter people from walking further down the pier.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #725 on: June 10, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
New Royal Mail stamp.....

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #726 on: June 10, 2015, 12:44:21 pm »
Brilliant. I wonder who the photographer was?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #727 on: June 10, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »
Brilliant. I wonder who the photographer was?

I think it was ....architectural photographer Lee Mawdsley

Offline hollins

« Reply #728 on: June 10, 2015, 06:48:05 pm »
Yes, thanks SteveH. I looked up his name and found this link to his Royal Mail photos. It shows other piers and seaside places in large pictures. A bit too large for the Llandudno one because you can see some metal barriers trying to hide some works or something and also the line of brown chairs don't look too good.
Still, great that they chose the Llandudno one for the first class stamp.

http://www.leemawdsley.co.uk/index.php?/projects-1/royal-mail/

Offline No 6

« Reply #729 on: June 12, 2015, 12:01:45 am »
Balmoral is scheduled to re-open the berthing head at Llandudno on the 2nd July Details :-

http://www.heritagesteamers.co.uk/balmoral/

Local Priced Timetable below

Offline SteveH

« Reply #730 on: June 16, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »
Coastal steamer set to return to Welsh coast after three-year lay-off

A much-loved coastal steamer will return to passenger service around Wales this month after a three-year lay-off.

The newly restored MV Balmoral cruise vessel will embark on its first “Celebration Cruise” this weekend, with its first call at Penarth and a cruise down the channel to Ilfracombe.

Under Captain Steve Mallett and his crew, the ship has been transformed over the last few weeks after Balmoral supporters raised over £300,000 on top of a £344,000 Coastal Communities Grant awarded in January this year.

Owned by the Balmoral Fund Ltd, the ship will be operated by White Funnel Ltd, a name which is synonymous with passenger ships on the Bristol Channel.
Laid up at Bristol in 2012, Balmoral was the last of the famous P&A Campbell/White Funnel Fleet which became a traditional sight around the South Wales coast.

The company is now trying to raise vital funds to cover the large operating costs and to lay the coaster up over the winter before it sets sail again next year.

Paul Doubler, spokesperson for the Balmoral said: “It has been something of a miracle to return Balmoral to cruising this summer, but we are not home and dry yet.

“We have to have great public support to run a very costly ship. It would be tragic if in this, our first season back a combination perhaps of poor weather and low passenger numbers affected her long term future.”

Sailing schedule
Short cruises will be running throughout Father’s Day and Monday will see a trip from Porthcawl to Minehead and Ilfracombe.

On Tuesday, June 23, Balmoral will make its first call at Swansea with a trip to the Exmoor Coast, Porlock Bay and Ilfracombe.

It will then sail up to North Wales to re-open Llandudno Pier on July 2, with further calls at Menai Bridge and Caernarfon.

The coastal steamer, which can carry 691 passengers, will then return to the Bristol Channel on July 8, for a regular season of cruises around the Bristol Channel and Penarth, whose council donated £1,000 to the restoration of Balmoral.

There will also be many calls from Porthcawl and Swansea with a special cruise from Briton Ferry on July 19.

For tickets and for full sailing details, prices and times throughout June, July, August and September go to www.whitefunnel.co.uk or call 0117 325 6200.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/coastal-steamer-set-return-welsh-9464119

Offline SteveH

« Reply #731 on: June 24, 2015, 12:54:41 pm »
Llandudno Pier: 'We'll put every penny back into the pier'             &shake&
Amusements are part of British holiday
They have thrived but Adam does remain concerned for the future of the amusement trade in North Wales and says the sector has not had enough support or credit. He said: “We are creating revenue and employment but we are getting neglected because I think people don’t like the image they think we portray because the history of arcades always appear to be seedy.

"But it is a fundamental part of leisure tourism in Britain.

“I think we are forgetting what makes a British holiday, the seaside, the fairground, the amusements, that is the basis of every child’s British holiday and memories is what runs British tourism. We can’t forget memories.
“The amusement industry employs a lot of people. We have the growth in adventure tourism which is great, it is a ride at the end of the day. It is expensive though and is not something you go on time and time again.
“Something like Zip World is very good and gets people here and puts us on the map but it is a one off for many people.
"People might spend some time there on their holiday but then where else do they want to go, families will go to the seaside and we need to make sure we don’t neglect this sector.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-well-put-every-9516007

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #732 on: June 24, 2015, 01:28:35 pm »
It is a shame that the toilets have now closed inside the amusement arcade by the pier entrance.

They were very convenient for everyone.

The nearest now is either behind Barclays Bank or at the far end of the pier.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #733 on: June 24, 2015, 02:09:28 pm »
It is a shame that the toilets have now closed inside the amusement arcade by the pier entrance.

They were very convenient for everyone.

The nearest now is either behind Barclays Bank or at the far end of the pier.

&well&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wally

« Reply #734 on: June 24, 2015, 02:12:47 pm »
The gents at the  end of the pier was closed the other day. Very inconvenient for anyone who had walked up there from the amusement arcade.