Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395947 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #540 on: August 24, 2013, 11:10:48 pm »
The work to strip the old fenders and buffers is easy in comparison to the constructive work needed to replace them.

The workers have been told to get the job done before Sept 3rd, however they think that is hilarious. Another 6 weeks is the absolute best they can complete in, even if they work flat-out.
The replacement fenders are being made but will not even leave MP Marine depot in Cumbria before 3rd Sept.

I am telling you now that the chances of The Waverley docking at Llandudno Pier as scheduled is ZERO.  It will not happen.
This is from those on site, and the Pier management too.
In fact it is rather cynical of the Waverley Company to have not yet refunded those passengers who have paid for tickets.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #541 on: August 25, 2013, 12:22:00 pm »

In fact it is rather cynical of the Waverley Company to have not yet refunded those passengers who have paid for tickets.

Like most companies they will try and hold on to the money for as long as possible, that's just the way of the world, but to be fair, I have had a refund of the difference because the 3rd of September cruise was less expensive than the one I originally booked.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: August 25, 2013, 02:01:46 pm »
MP Marine are working through the Bank Holiday weekend but, as Fester says, it's impossible to meet the deadline of Sept 3rd sadly.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #543 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:06 pm »
Last year

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #544 on: August 26, 2013, 12:15:16 am »
The funny thing is, you can see the old fenders and buffers stacked up in the car park by the tackle shop, but they seem to be in EXTREMELY GOOD CONDITION.

So, they needed to be removed and replaced before any boat can dock?  To my mind they look fine... but are now chopped up ready for land fill.

Nothing wrong with those timbers or rubbers.  ?{}?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:58 am »

Can't be too careful with the state of your rubbers, accidents happen all too easily!   ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:33 am »
The funny thing is, you can see the old fenders and buffers stacked up in the car park by the tackle shop, but they seem to be in EXTREMELY GOOD CONDITION.

So, they needed to be removed and replaced before any boat can dock?  To my mind they look fine... but are now chopped up ready for land fill.
Funnily enough, I thought the same when I first looked at them, but if you look more closely, some of the wood is quite rotten in places and I think the frame itself was damaged as I recall chains hanging down from the Landing stage that weren't attached to anything. Amazing how well some of the wood has survived though, given its been buffeted by 44 years of storms.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #547 on: August 26, 2013, 08:59:23 am »

Are you sure, Fester, because the 'Conclusions' of Consulting Engineers' report were:

Conclusions

7.1 The fendering framework was of a substantial framework and comprised hardwood vertical baulks.

7.2 Most of the timbers and fittings of the framework have been lost.

7.3 The timbers that remain show sign of decay and splitting due to overstressing of bolted connections.

Offline hollins

« Reply #548 on: August 26, 2013, 09:59:25 am »
Piers at risk, BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23838775

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: August 26, 2013, 10:36:35 am »
7.3 The timbers that remain show sign of decay and splitting due to overstressing of bolted connections.

There's a hole in your Bulwark,
Dear Fester, Dear Fester,
There's a hole in your Bulwark,
Dear Fester - a hole.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #550 on: August 26, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »
With what shall he fix it dear Ian dear Ian?

I think with Yorkshire Grit.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #551 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »
There's a report out that suggests seaside piers should be in the hands of co-operatives or public ownership rather than private owners.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/26/seaside-piers-neglect-community

Personally, I think its rubbish. The most successful piers in Britain are all in private ownership, Brighton and Weston Super Mare Grand, to name but two. What it is fair to say is that a private owner need to be committed and well capitalised in order to be successful. Hopeful dreamers will get nowhere (see Colwyn Bay). I find local authority owned piers rather sterile and uninteresting (Bangor & Beaumaris), they need the spark of private ownership to bring them alive, just as the original builders intended.

The full report is here:
http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/peoples_piers.pdf

Offline hollins

« Reply #552 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:17 am »
Some lovely photos of piers here but how can they have forgotten about Llandudno?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10266257/Britains-best-piers.html?frame=2653402

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: August 27, 2013, 08:08:26 am »
 A terrible omission. &shake&

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #554 on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:11 pm »
Dear Supporter

September 3: Sailing from Llandudno by Paddle Steamer Waverley

Thank you for booking a trip aboard Waverley. 

We were very much looking forward to our visit to Llandudno and to welcoming you aboard, but we have been informed by Conwy Council that repairs to the Pier will not be completed in time for Waverley to call.

We understand that this will be a disappointment especially as the works were originally scheduled to have been completed in May.

The contract for the pier works was awarded in June but then it was discovered that the licence to undertake the works had expired whilst contract negotiations were taking place.  In an attempt to minimise the delay, the contractor arranged to have preparatory works done off site whilst they awaited the renewal of the licence, however this did not save enough time to complete the works for September 3.

We have been working closely with the Harbourmaster in an attempt to source boats so that we could run a tender operation to ferry passengers out to Waverley but none of the local boat owners are able to undertake this. We have also looked at transferring passengers to another port by coach but this is not a viable option either.

The good news is that works have started on the Pier and are expected to be completed soon and we hope to be able to welcome you aboard Waverley when she visits Llandudno next year.

We can only apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and a refund of your tickets is being processed and you will receive an email confirming this shortly.

Kind regards

Kathleen O’Neill

Chief Executive
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)