Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395905 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #525 on: August 05, 2013, 10:36:30 am »
I was there Sunday afternoon as well, went for a walk to the end with wife and mother-in-law.  We went onto the pier at the Happy Valley entrance but came back through the "funfair" ... thought I was in Rhyl in the old days, all that seemed to be missing was someone shouting out bingo numbers.  Spoils the pier and Llandudno, IMHO.

When I worked on the pier about 30 years ago there was a "bingo hall" in the Golden Goose as it was then, complete with someone shouting out the numbers.  I can't remember the blokes name when I was there but I do remember he made a sharp exit after being caught out having relations with the very young daughter of a very large gentleman  :o.  The funfair was also there, it was called Professor Peabody's back then.  I remember one year we were given scratch cards to hand out to customers in the arcades which had various prizes including half price admission to Peabody's as well as free cups of tea in the cafe and free halfs in the bar.  If you held the cards up to the light you could see what the prize was so we sorted them out and made sure anyone who had a kid with them won the half price admission to Peabody's (and anyone with a red nose won a free half in the bar!).

I do agree that the position of the funfair isn't ideal but it has been there for decades so this isn't a new problem by any means.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #526 on: August 05, 2013, 11:08:56 am »
 :o :o :o   Dave??   Didn't you call the Bingo numbers on the pier at one time???    :o :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #527 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:44 pm »
:o :o :o   Dave??   Didn't you call the Bingo numbers on the pier at one time???    :o :o
Indeed I did, and good fun it was too. However, I never made any 'sharp exits', except when it was time to go home.  :laugh:

I think I very vaguely recall the scandal that Andy refers to, cant remember the guy's name though.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #528 on: August 05, 2013, 02:29:58 pm »
I can't remember the bingo callers name (I don't think it was Dave but I can't be sure) but I do remember the father and daughter, not least because the father had been Akela when I was in the cubs.  I still see him from time to time bombing around Colwyn Bay on his mobility scooter.  Next time I see him I might ask him if he can remember the lads name.

Or maybe not as those mobility scooters move faster than I can run  :'(.

Emo Philips

Offline Trojan

« Reply #529 on: August 06, 2013, 05:43:22 pm »
Indeed I did, and good fun it was too. However, I never made any 'sharp exits', except when it was time to go home.  :laugh:

I think I very vaguely recall the scandal that Andy refers to, cant remember the guy's name though.

Do you remember the girls name?  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:33 pm »

:cyclist40:

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #531 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:17 pm »

I remember the girl's name, but won't be revealing it to protect the guilty :P.  I have a very vague recollection that the bingo caller was called Wayne but it's so long ago my recollection might be entirely unreliable.

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: August 07, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »

I remember the girl's name, but won't be revealing it to protect the guilty :P.  I have a very vague recollection that the bingo caller was called Wayne but it's so long ago my recollection might be entirely unreliable.
That's the guy! Bit of a drip, as I recall. Did the girl's name begin with an L?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #533 on: August 08, 2013, 12:43:52 am »
Lolita?  :D

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #534 on: August 08, 2013, 08:59:07 am »

That's the guy! Bit of a drip, as I recall. Did the girl's name begin with an L?

It might have started with an L  ;).

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: August 08, 2013, 09:24:26 am »
It's all coming back to me now, I was working on the Bingo then too. Remember her hanging around, she was a nice girl. Thought she was from Glan Conwy though? You've got a great memory, Andy!

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #536 on: August 10, 2013, 06:30:33 pm »
She was from Glan Conwy which is how I knew who she was.  I think she must have been about three years younger than me but in a village like GC you tend to know everyone within four of five years either side of your own year in school.  Before anyone starts heading out to the valley her family out decades ago.

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »
Work on the Landing Stage is now well underway again, the old wooden Fenders are currently being dismantled ready for replacement (see photo).

On another note, I was amazed to see that the Bar, Cafe & Arcade at the Pierhead all shut at 6pm tonight, even though it is the peak trading week of the year and there were plenty of people about.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #538 on: August 22, 2013, 12:03:46 pm »
I think its been said before,they will not pay the overtime

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: August 24, 2013, 10:21:03 pm »
MP Marine have now removed all of the old fenders from the Landing Stage. Although they are working at full speed, I understand they are unlikely to meet the proposed sailing date of 3rd September for the Waverley.