Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396239 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #480 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »
i was thinking it had been put in to land the big one that usually gets away

Offline No 6

« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2013, 01:51:10 am »
The work starting on the berthing head is a splendid sight! - and site!

Congratulations to Jim Jones at Conwy B C and Simon at the Pier for proving that our faith the work would proceed was well founded

time to buy tickets for the 3rd September!

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #482 on: July 12, 2013, 07:17:29 am »
I think I shall leave my purchase until nearer the time.

I am told that Conwy CBC is at the point of issuing Invitations to Tender for the repairs needed to the pier sufficient to bring excursions ships back to Llandudno

Can anyone confirm???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:10 am »
That is possibly the archetypal example of... 'missing the boat'
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #484 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:24 pm »
Work is continuing to replace the frame of the Landing Stage Gangway (iPhone photos):

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: July 16, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »
I hear a bit of a problem has emerged with the Landing Stage work, something to do with a licence to carry out the work having expired. Looks like a delay to the work of a couple of weeks at very least.  :(

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #486 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:40 pm »
Red tape,Clarence and Tudno Castle come to mind,somebody in CCBC is taking the pee

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #487 on: July 17, 2013, 12:32:40 am »
I hear a bit of a problem has emerged with the Landing Stage work, something to do with a licence to carry out the work having expired. Looks like a delay to the work of a couple of weeks at very least.  :(

I am hearing that the delay is much worse than that.
Completion approx TWENTY WEEKS from now.
That means the September sailing of the SS Waverley is now impossible.  :(
Fester...

Offline No 6

« Reply #488 on: July 19, 2013, 12:39:00 pm »
Fester

Can you please contact me off list with your source please.

No 6

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #489 on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:08 pm »
No need for that No6. (although I have enabled my email, so you can contact me)

It was the MP Marine workmen themselves, who mentioned this to the Fishermen on the Pier, who in turn reported it to the Fishing Concession.

It may be a a case of Chinese whispers, I hope it is...  but it was said that the Council officials who are able to renew the authorisation are on holiday.
Perhaps the scale of the delay was exaggerated?  Once again, I hope so.
Fester...

Offline No 6

« Reply #490 on: July 19, 2013, 11:49:05 pm »
This is what I have found - from the horse's mouth.

As I once fell foul of the same people I know what they are like to deal with.

As the work is beyond low water mark, it is taking place in an area owned by the Crown Estate, albeit that the structure of the pier is owned by Six Piers Ltd (Trevor Hemmings)

Apparently when Conwy were intending to do the work they obtained a licence from the Crown Estate and when they passed the responsibility and funding to Six Piers to complete the work, it came with assurance that all permits and consents were up to date and "in ticket"

MP Marine made a good start and then up comes the nice man in the grey suit and says "Excuse Me - can I see your papers please - oh dear - Those are out of date. You will need to re-apply and you must stop work now"

The result will be at least a month's delay and probably six weeks, men laid off, tourists, not least me disappointed - I had promised my grandsons that as I experienced decades ago that grandad would take them a sail to Puffin Island from Llandudno this year - what price that now?

It really makes you spit and shows everything that is wrong with this country. The works had been consented - a thinking sentient human being could have issued an extension - but we are talking of the bureaucrats bureacrat here.

You want to complain - The address is H M Queen, Buck House! or who's the other guy - err the prince of "Wales"?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2013, 11:53:48 pm »
So, sadly it seems we are mired in red-tape, once again.
This benefits nobody, and inconveniences many.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #492 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:06 am »
However.... what we have all failed to recognise, is that the renovation work to the decking, railings and shoulders is now complete at the junction of the old and new parts of the pier.
It looks excellent.   Progress indeed.  $good$
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2013, 09:16:13 am »
t really makes you spit and shows everything that is wrong with this country. The works had been consented - a thinking sentient human being could have issued an extension - but we are talking of the bureaucrats bureacrat here.

I couldn't agree more. I've just experienced a similar saga helping a profoundly deaf friend with DVLA.  Initially he'd been diagnosed with sleep apnoea and was required to notify DVLA. He also stopped driving. Two weeks later the clinic treating him gave him the all-clear, and a week after that DVLA notified him his license was suspended.  Because their wheels move so slowly, they didn't take his licence from him until after he was pronounced fit to drive - wonderful.  It took me six weeks to get them to reinstate it, and they apologised, but - of course - by then he'd spent a few hundred on taxi fares.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #494 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
It took me six weeks to get them to reinstate it, and they apologised, but - of course - by then he'd spent a few hundred on taxi fares.

Must have fallen asleep in the back seat with the meter running.  ?{}?