Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395535 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
But will there be a storey about the lack of care being put into the upkeep of Llandudno;s gardens and lawns,no.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:23 pm »
Another aspect of this landing stage news which intrigues me, is the spin off tourism which could be generated no matter how large or small the boats arriving are.

I mean, there are a great many people who came to Llandudno in the past, just to watch the steamers dock.
People like to see this things, whether out of nostalgia or just general interest.

I think that in future, if ships dock quite regularly, then Llandudno will gain an enhanced reputation and people will come back to the town in high numbers.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2012, 09:21:28 pm »
It certainly is great news for Llandudno and will undoubtedly raise the profile of the town.  If cruise ship passengers were to come ashore here many of them will be foreign visitors.  Currently I don't feel the town gets enough non UK visitors especially when you consider the high number that visit neighbouring Conwy and its castle.  This pier investment coupled with money being spent on the Railway Station, the ski slope, Llandudno museum, the Clarence, Alice trail and probably Tudno Castle are reasons to be upbeat and proof that compared to many other towns, especially seaside towns, the outlook is quite rosy.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »
There is a lot of scope here for cruise ships.  Have a look at Swan Hellenic's "Minerva" on the web.  This vessel can do river cruises as well as coastal work, so its draft should be possible for Llandudno calls.  It also has its own tenders which are lowered and ferry passengers to suitable landing points. I hope someone in Conwy will be talking to such operators.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »
Its draft is 6 metres.

So all in all I think that on most occasions tendering from ships anchored half a mile off the North Shore will for the most part be quite feasible.

Don’t forget the tide.

I sincerely hope this can happen in my lifetime.   ££$

Incidentally, the Kungsholm is now a luxurious floating hotel in Oman.

http://www.veronicaduqm.com/over/index.htm

Offline Ian48

« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2012, 06:29:05 am »
That's interesting about the Swan Hellenic Minerva. I have never heard of it, so looked at the website, and they have a cruise in July called 'Gardens of the Celtic Fringe', which is exactly as it says on the tin.

It screams for them to stop off in Llandudno and visit Bodnant Gardens!

http://www.swanhellenic.com/cruise-itinerary.html?areaid=37&cruiseid=18704

That cruise also visits Portrush in NI, which like Llandudno is a resort town (granted with a small harbour, but more like Conwy Marina to be honest).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:12 am »
That's exactly the sort of ship we should be encouraging to visit. I hope CCBC staff are actively contacting cruise ship operators to make them aware of the new facility.

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2012, 10:33:19 am »
Jim Jones of Conwy's tourism department has spoke to cruise lines who have expressed an interest. The pier already owns the required licence so it looks very positive.
Incidentally I have been tendered ashore from a cruise liner off the coast of Alaska so I don't think Llandudno will pose too much of a problem. Cruises around the British Isles are growing in popularity and there are a number of lines including Fred Olsen and Voyages of Discovery which operate smallish ships catering for around 500 to 600 passengers.

Offline hollins

« Reply #308 on: June 28, 2012, 11:13:32 am »
Does anyone know how long the work would take and when they might start?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
Fred Olsen passenger capacities (standard occupancy) are:

Balmoral    1350
Braemar     929
Blackwatch 804
Boudicca     880

Discovery    698
Voyager      556

Voyager has started sailing from Liverpool and once the port has opened up properly for Cruise Ships no doubt these smaller vessels will all make use of Liverpool.   Fred Olsen does come to Holyhead with the Round Britain Cruise.   With Holyhead and Liverpool both more suitable I personally cannot see them making the very short journey just to visit Llandudno.  However, we must live in hope.

The Waverley and other day tripper type boats will probably be more suited.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »
Yorkie be more positive,if CCBC and the town council get their act together and make the town attractive and well maintained anything could happen,ok Yorkie you are right.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »
That's exactly the sort of ship we should be encouraging to visit. I hope CCBC staff are actively contacting cruise ship operators to make them aware of the new facility.
???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2012, 01:33:38 pm »
Yorkie be more positive,if CCBC and the town council get their act together and make the town attractive and well maintained anything could happen,ok Yorkie you are right.

Let's not all start looking at the Councils small attempts at improving things through rose coloured glasses.   It is also important for contrary views to be considered and to keep our feet firmly on the ground.   >>>
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »

Quite coincidently, I have just received Fred Olsen's 2013/14 Brochure and they are publicising that they will be having a number of departures from the new Pier Head Terminal in Liverpool - so it's already happening!   
 $walesflag$
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:21 pm »
The Pier Tackle Shop is being renovated. The side facing the sea gets hammered every winter in the storms.