Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396233 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:58 am »
Ah
But will you be able to afford the 2nd Class stamp  ? :laugh:

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2012, 11:48:47 am »
Walked down the pier on Sunday and hope that Feste etc. did well as it was packed.

However although it was a good idea for the owners to camouflage the derelict site with huts/shops it means that there is a complete bottle neck from the entrance to where the wooden flooring starts. 

We had to squeeze on, not for the first time either, as the queue for ice cream snaked across the entrance then struggle through the crowds.  Some of the huts by the Golden Goose have put stands way out so that also was causing congestion.  Sureley an accident waiting to happen?  If anything went wrong further down there would be some sort of stampede.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »
You're quite right, the layout is very poor and actively deters people from heading further down the Pier.

On a related note, I understand that good news about repairs to the Landing Stage may be imminent.  ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »
You're quite right, the layout is very poor and actively deters people from heading further down the Pier.

On a related note, I understand that good news about repairs to the Landing Stage may be imminent.  ;)

Yes Dave...!
I told the guy with Alzheimer's the good news tonight, you know, the guy who always asks about the landing stage?
Sadly, I fear I will have to tell him again tomorrow... and the next day.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2012, 11:11:55 pm »
Then, in his own mind, he will have good news every day and will be toasting 'Pier Six Ltd'.  ;D

Offline sjwright

« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2012, 12:01:06 am »
Went kayaking under the pier the other day, some interesting things under there. One thing I noticed was the cast iron column in the corner under the gents toilets is at quite an angle, this been struck by something or is this natural movement?

I'd noticed this from the shore some time ago, but it appears worse these days.

Also, directly underneath the arcade looks like a former walk way, although only the floor at either end survives. Was this for services, or part of the former landing stage?

I ask because I noticed on the east side of the pier head looks like there was probably a stairway, some supports still exist on the legs and the latticework is interrupted to presumably give head height:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2012, 12:15:53 am »
Not sure about the 'jaunty angle' of that column under the gents loo, I can't imagine that a collision has ever caused that.

But, the rusting walkways underneath the arcade at the pier head is indeed the remnants of the main way in which people used to access the steams ships.
There was an iron and glass canopy in front of the now arcade doors, (the area can still be seen by the outline of the decking), people passed through this and down stairs onto that gangway and then forward to the landing stage.

There is at least one picture on the Forum gallery of that entrance being used by bustling passengers.
I will endeavour to post the link to it.
Fester...

Offline sjwright

« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:02 am »
Nice one.

I had a look on google to see if I could find anything to go with my theory of a stair case and found this:

Why would there be stairs! Did the original landing stage extend round that far? I don't ever recall seeing any old pictures with anything that went as far round as this, bit it does seem odd that there would be stairs going to the sea, given that the tide never goes completely out at the pier head  ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #263 on: June 24, 2012, 12:42:21 am »
I can't find the image I am looking for in the gallery, (I went through the entire file)...although I have a physical copy of the print I am referring to.

I was under the pier head last year with Dave R, looking at that very staircase. I recall it being said that the staircase was a way down to a smaller gangway, which I think was a another mini landing area for small launches.
Dave will no doubt add to this or correct me when he sees this article.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:10 am »
Some interesting pics, Sjwright, thanks for sharing.  $good$

Fester is quite right, that staircase was used to enable access to smaller motor launches etc, that could not use the main Landing Stage. It was accessed via the old Landing Stage entrance at the front of the Pierhead Pavilion (see photo below), which was removed in 1969 when the present Landing Stage was built.

Not sure about the wonky column, though, although the pier was hit by a drifting ship in 1908, maybe that was the result?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2012, 10:23:18 am »
yes that side stairway was for the tenders off the cruise ships ,navel ships that used to call here , and that gangway ,without the glass canopy was still used in the early 70s wish i could go back to then

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
Norman is right about the steps, I can recall seeing it used by RN "liberty boats" when we used to have the occasional frigate calling.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »
Frigate in Llandudno Bay.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2012, 12:51:19 am »
Watch this space...

We may be only DAYS away from a very significant announcement about ships docking at Llandudno Pier!  :) :)

Maybe only HOURS away....  $walesflag$
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2012, 07:10:48 am »
Familiar words that have already been spoken about many other eyesores in and around the town.  Don't hold your breath.

I reckon it's a load of bollards!    :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero