Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395854 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »
 >?>??

:laugh:

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
So, Fester, you saw a sign that informed you the pier was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and you understood it should only refer to the arcade.

Strange, every time we saw the sign on either a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, the pier gates were always locked.    ?{}?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »
Oh Christ.... what I am saying (before I surely expire) is that there was a sign on the arcade door saying that it was only open Thursday to Sunday in the winter.

Of course I realised that this applied only to the arcade, and not the pier...... because the pier was OPEN on all the days I saw it. 

I can only conclude that there were some Mondays or Fridays (when I didn't work in Jan or Feb) where you encountered locked gates.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2012, 11:50:03 pm »
was this the same year?  L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2012, 08:18:19 am »
Oh Christ.... what I am saying (before I surely expire) is that there was a sign on the arcade door saying that it was only open Thursday to Sunday in the winter.

Of course I realised that this applied only to the arcade, and not the pier...... because the pier was OPEN on all the days I saw it.

Fester, please allow me to spell it out for you before you burst a blood vessel.

We both agree there were notices displayed inside the glass windows of the arcade stating the arcade was closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  D)

However, eventually a SECOND notice appeared outside the pier entrance and just to the left of the pier gates stating the pier was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

We first saw the SECOND notice probably during January when the weather began improving.

I apologise if I did not make it clear enough.

In that case, DaveR, did you ever once see a sign outside the pier gates stating the pier (not arcade) was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday ?

This a red herring, DaveR, as we noticed that and we had also seen a notice inside the arcade to that effect as well but as time moved on the pier gates were locked and the sign outside clearly stated the pier was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

To help clear up the obvious confusion, I e-mailed the General Manager this morning and he has since confirmed there was a sign at the pier gates for three months and has also admitted it should have been made clearer that the closure only referred to the arcade.

Given the fact that there was a sign just outside the pier gates that you obviously missed.............. ))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #245 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:25 am »
Bri, you made yourself completely clear, and at the risk of repeating myself I will do the same.

YOU saw such a sign on a day when the pier was closed.
I never saw such a sign because every day I went to the pier it was open!

Therefore you must have gone to the pier on a day when I didn't.  Pretty simple really.

If you think about it, I think we have been actually saying the same thing all along.
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2012, 10:04:34 am »
Which pier is this?

;D

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2012, 10:17:30 am »
YOU saw such a sign on a day when the pier was closed.

Nearly correct, Fester, except me and Mrs Roberts saw the SECOND sign on more than one occasion.

We even saw the SECOND sign when the pier was open on the days the SECOND sign said it would be open.

By the sounds of it, it seems you did not ever see the SECOND sign.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2012, 10:30:24 am »
Let me bring this argument to an end. I've looked back through my photos and found this one from February (heavily enlarged, so not great quality). This is the sign that Bri is referring to, but it is very poorly worded because it is actually referring to the arcade's opening hours, not the pier itself.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2012, 11:23:43 am »
Well done Dave R 8)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
For a moment I thought we would have to Summon the Marquis of Queensbury to ensure a fair battle !     >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »
Today I had the pleasure of meeting one of the very few Forum members I have never met.

You've guessed it... it was inevitable.... Mr Bri Roberts, and the very delightful Mrs Bri Roberts too.

Nice to meet you both, and its always good to put faces to names.   :) :)
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »
Lucky the pier happened to be open at the time  L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:26 am »
A MAN was taken to hospital after almost falling off the pier at Llandudno.

Worried bystanders dialled 999 yesterday lunchtime after seeing a man in his mid-30s desperately clinging on to the structure

Coastguards were alerted, who in turn sent the Llandudno RNLI inshore lifeboat and onshore coastguard teams to the pier.

A Holyhead Coastguard spokesman said: “We received reports of a man falling off Llandudno pier.

“He was hanging on to the stanchions of the pier when the lifeboat crew and coastguard teams arrived.”

The rescuers managed to prise him to safety and he was taken away to a waiting ambulance, the spokesman added.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/03/27/man-taken-to-hospital-after-nearly-falling-off-llandudno-pier-55578-30630742/

I would say its pretty much impossible to 'fall off' the pier, he must have jumped. We used to get it all the time on hot days  in the Summer when I worked there. Some idiot would jump off thinking the water would be warm and discover instead that it was freezing cold. They would then desperately hang onto one of the piles whilst I called out the Lifeboat to come and rescue them.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2012, 01:11:16 am »
If I see some drunken di#k-head jumping in to the sea off the pier,  I will be sure to immediately write off a letter to summon the coastguard.  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...