Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395855 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:29 pm »
What aspects did you find strange Bri?

The Pier arcade has been closed on the mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays in the 'dead' weeks of winter.
Ostensibly because no one wants to spend anything, and there are obvious costs attached to being open.

The rest of the pier has been open to 'promenade' on, every day unless there are gale force winds.
Health and Safety regulations dictate that the seaward end of the pier must be closed when the wind exceeds a certain level.
The pier can be (and annoyingly has been) closed for this reason even in the summer months.

What was the nature of your enquiry?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:05 am »
No problem, Fester.

•   It took nearly two weeks for me to receive a response to my web enquiry.

•   The reply says the pier is open 7 days a week when it has not been.

•   I do not believe one has to wait until Easter to visit the shops and facilities.

•   And as norman08 has already indicated, the gates to the pier entrance were closed on Mon, Tues and Wed when the weather was good.

who forgot to open the gates in feb then , the weather was good

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:50 am »
Hmmm, I can't speak for Mondays, but I have been working on the pier, (if you can call it working) every Tuesday and Weds in February.   I can't remember seeing the gates being shut after 10am.

However, what often happens is that it seems like nice weather at the landward end, but the pier is actually getting battered by dangerous winds at the other end of the pier.
Also, you will find patches of frost which don't clear all day.  (Health and safety again)

As far as shops are concerned, almost all have been open since mid feb.  I would say 90% of them.
Only the kiddy rides are closed, but they will be open weekends, and some weekdays before Easter.
They need a lot of staff you see, and the concessionaire can't cover his costs before end March.  No demand.

The cafe and bar have been open every day since mid feb.

Things are not perfect, but hope that helps.

Anyone need any natural remedies, gifts etc...you will find me there 6 days a week!  :laugh:

Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:12 am »
Thanks for your reply, Fester.

You will have to let me know which shop is yours so I can call in and say Hello.

From what I can remember, the arcade (aka Golden Goose) began shutting on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and there was a notice to that effect posted in the arcade window.

However, then the pier gates started to close midweek and there was a sign outside the pier gates stating the pier was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

FYI, I cannot speak for the second entrance by the fishing tackle shop.

I recently visited the pier website and noticed a CONTACT tab so I submitted a simple enquiry asking when the pier will begin opening again 7 days a week?

http://www.llandudnopier.com/

By coincidence, the pier started opening again on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before I received the reply informing me the pier was always open 7 days a week !!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2012, 12:09:58 am »
Something very odd going on, which does not tally with my business records.

You see, I don't use the Happy Valley entrance, I usually walk on from the prom entrance.

Since Feb 4th, I have been on the pier 5 days a week, only closing Mondays and Fridays (which are a complete waste of time).
I was prevented from working on one day only, due to a lingering frost on the pier.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
I've walked on the Pier quite a few times during the Winter months, when the arcade was closed on Mon, Tues, Weds. I was still able to walk up to the Pierhead and back.

Here's the latest pier attraction - it blends in well with the general state of the pier, don't you think?  &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »
In that case, DaveR, did you ever once see a sign outside the pier gates stating the pier (not arcade) was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday ?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »
Is that Festers new coffee shop extension to his shop?  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:15 pm »
In that case, DaveR, did you ever once see a sign outside the pier gates stating the pier (not arcade) was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday ?
No, Bri, it said that the arcade would be closed on Mon, Tues, Weds, not the Pier itself. Thinking back, I've been able to walk on the pier itself nearly every time I've gone there, with only the odd closure because maintenance work was being carried out or bad weather.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »
I've walked on the Pier quite a few times during the Winter months, when the arcade was closed on Mon, Tues, Weds. I was still able to walk up to the Pierhead and back.

This a red herring, DaveR, as we noticed that and we had also seen a notice inside the arcade to that effect as well but as time moved on the pier gates were locked and the sign outside clearly stated the pier was only open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Judging by the post below, we were not the only ones facing a lock-out.

who forgot to open the gates in feb then , the weather was good

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:25 am »
I am no defender of how the pier is managed, and there is much improvement that could be made.

However, despite going to (and working on) the pier throughout February, I have never seen a sign preventing access to the pier itself.
I am not stating that YOU didn't see such a sign Bri,  I'm just saying that apart from one day because of frost, I was able to access and work on the pier.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:43 am »
To help clear up the obvious confusion, I e-mailed the General Manager this morning and he has since confirmed there was a sign at the pier gates for three months and has also admitted it should have been made clearer that the closure only referred to the arcade.

It must have been a coincidence that every time we visited the pier, when the weather was good, then the pier must have been closed for structural repairs and the pier gates locked.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »
Bri... I accept your apology then.   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »
Given the fact that there was a sign just outside the pier gates that you obviously missed.............. ))*

However, despite going to (and working on) the pier throughout February, I have never seen a sign preventing access to the pier itself.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »
Given the fact that there was a sign just outside the pier gates that you obviously missed.............. ))*

Errr, no.... I saw it every day ... and UNDERSTOOD it .... it applied to the arcade only.
then I proceeded onto to the pier, unrestricted!
Why do I have a mental picture of a dog with a bone here Bri?
Fester...