Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395788 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:58 am »
Some people I know had a bench in Happy Valley in memory of his Mother. They were resposible for its upkeep.

On the Council blurb they use the word "Donate", to my mind that means "give".    ;)
I think the money raised should be used for the upkeep of the parks - I wonder if it is?  :roll:

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:24 pm »
The Benches in Parks etc are £800:

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=7852&doc=28056

I am surprised there are no terms and conditions.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:12 am »
Work is ongoing to replace the cross ties on Llandudno Pier:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:54 am »
I noticed that the Pier Pavilion site had been cleared of its undergrowth, so thought would go and have a nose around, accompanied by two other forum members.  $good$ The most interesting find was some remnants of the original tiling from the sea water swimming pool built in the Pavilion's basement back in 1884, still in pretty good condition 127 years (and a large fire) later :

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2011, 10:52:55 am »
Was the swimming pool not built in the Baths Hotel?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2011, 05:28:00 pm »
I noticed that the Pier Pavilion site had been cleared of its undergrowth, so thought would go and have a nose around, accompanied by two other forum members.  $good$ The most interesting find was some remnants of the original tiling from the sea water swimming pool built in the Pavilion's basement back in 1884, still in pretty good condition 127 years (and a large fire) later :

That's interesting Dave and should raise a few questions.   Who cleared the site and who paid for it?   
If it's CCBC then I wonder if they have approached the owner for permission to do so.     

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
Was the swimming pool not built in the Baths Hotel?
No, it was in the Pavilion's basement:

"the pavilion basement housed what was then the largest indoor swimming pool in Britain. Unfortunately for the pier company, problems with seawater quality (the pool was filled twice daily from the tides) meant that this novel idea did not prove successful and the pool was filled in shortly afterwards."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »

That's interesting Dave and should raise a few questions.   Who cleared the site and who paid for it?   
If it's CCBC then I wonder if they have approached the owner for permission to do so.     
What usually happens is that the CCBC serve a notice on the owner to clear the site, he ignores it and so CCBC do the work, then bill the owner.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2011, 06:26:30 pm »
No, it was in the Pavilion's basement:

Ta.  $thanx$

I wonder then where the Baths came from in the Baths Hotel.

Was it a Mr Bath who owned it?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
"the pavilion basement housed what was then the largest indoor swimming pool in Britain. Unfortunately for the pier company, problems with seawater quality (the pool was filled twice daily from the tides) meant that this novel idea did not prove successful and the pool was filled in shortly afterwards."

We enjoyed looking around there the other day although erindoors had the wrong shoes on!

Thinking about it that site must be at or below sea level if the sea filled it, yet it seemed dry?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »

We enjoyed looking around there the other day although erindoors had the wrong shoes on!

Thinking about it that site must be at or below sea level if the sea filled it, yet it seemed dry?
It's at beach level but seems to be sealed as it was quite dry.  The basement used to get flooded on a regular basis when the drains got blocked up back in the early 1990s, though.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2011, 10:24:57 pm »
the drainage must be working better now somehow, we'll have to look again when the tides in!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2011, 04:30:43 pm »
I noticed that the Pier Pavilion site had been cleared of its undergrowth, so thought would go and have a nose around, accompanied by two other forum members. The most interesting find was some remnants of the original tiling from the sea water swimming pool built in the Pavilion's basement back in 1884, still in pretty good condition 127 years (and a large fire) later :

I took a look at the cleared site this afternoon when passing and I could not see those whilte tiles from the road but I am wondering if Tusons Amusement Arcade from the sixties was actually inside the swimming pool?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2011, 06:43:24 pm »
I noticed that the Pier Pavilion site had been cleared of its undergrowth, so thought would go and have a nose around, accompanied by two other forum members. The most interesting find was some remnants of the original tiling from the sea water swimming pool built in the Pavilion's basement back in 1884, still in pretty good condition 127 years (and a large fire) later :

I took a look at the cleared site this afternoon when passing and I could not see those whilte tiles from the road but I am wondering if Tusons Amusement Arcade from the sixties was actually inside the swimming pool?
You'll have to walk  down into the site itself to see the tiles, they're in the left hand corner of the basement, as you walk down the ramp bit. Yes, it must have been used for Tusons, and then later on, the Round The World car ride and finally the Dungeon horror waxworks. . Merddin Emrys remembers going in there when it was Tusons.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »
 $thanx$

I can remember walkng down that ramp area and under the Pier Pavillion into Tusons and going on the dodgem cars at the far end.