Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395977 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »
We have a small collection of Robertsons Gollies including a large advertising gollie about 3 foot tall, that does not make us racist at all, I've always found that it's just politically correct white people who worry about it   ¢¢##
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2011, 02:51:42 am »
I had a white Golly called "Honkey"

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2011, 09:06:17 am »
I've always found that it's just politically correct white people who worry about it

I's a curious one, the Golly issue.  But it does raise an interesting issue, which is that what folk call 'political correctness' is , perhaps,  just a synonym for 'politeness'.  In fact, these days I doubt if any ethnic minorities give a fig about the Gollywog, but might still object to being referred to as a 'Wog'. FWIW, I suspect the real problem - as ME alludes to - is other people taking offence on behalf of others. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2011, 09:19:30 am »
We've gone right off the topic of 'Llandudno pier'  :) but I'm 100% in favour of politeness, but this politically correct nonsense when we had such things as person hole covers (manhole) and chairperson became ridiculous. I've even heard of ladies being offended if you hold the door open for them or give up your seat on a bus for them?? Sometimes, whatever you do or say is wrong  :)

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:30 am »
when we had such things as person hole covers (manhole) and chairperson became ridiculous

But were those cases genuine?  Last Summer, a Llandudno councillor told me that some members of the Llandudno TC wanted 'Christmas' to be renamed 'Winter festival' and he thought it was outrageous.  It was also untrue.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Yorkie

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2011, 11:44:28 am »
I don't regard anything that you may hear from Llandudno Town Council as being true!     :laugh:

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:16 pm »
Suepp has hit the nail on the head. 
Holding a chair for someone is hardly the same as being racist.  When I was a child many years ago, sadly, I didn't know any better and I had a gollywog and indeed a collection of Robertsons badges.  But times have moved on and they are racist just look in to their origins.
If yopu can't see that try selling them in Brixton and see how long you last.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:07 pm »
So where did you sell your collection?  We don't want to sell and if I did it would be on Ebay or at a carboot sale, I would not go all the way to London would I?

Ebay has very strict rules on things like racism yet there are lots of golly items for sale

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=gollywog

I hope you are not implying that I am racist for owning a collection of Robertsons gollys, it would be a very unfair conclusion!

Yorkie

« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2011, 03:11:06 pm »
There are lots of caucasian people I don't like and who I will "slag off" whenever the opportunity occurs.  Does that make me racist?    )*)&

We've had a white one posted on the Forum, here's a Black one.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »
There are lots of caucasian people I don't like and who I will "slag off" whenever the opportunity occurs.  Does that make me racist?

I don't think so.  But racism is all about the misuse of power. It's the belief that the genetic factors which constitute race, ethnicity, or nationality are a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that ethnic differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.  Thus, when a politically dominant group devises and uses terminology intended to denigrate and subjugate another group based purely on their skin colour or ethnicity, that is racism.  The need to nip it at the early stages was recognised as being necessary to secure equal opportunities for all citizens, and is - really - how we've ended up with Obama,

There are also different kinds of racism, one of which is aversive racism.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:12 pm »
[Thus, when a politically dominant group devises and uses terminology intended to denigrate and subjugate another group based purely on their skin colour or ethnicity, that is racism.

How about religion? Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims etc.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »
I didn't know that gollies were religious ;D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2011, 01:34:25 am »
I didn't know that gollies were religious ;D

Voodoo is a religion.

At the Jamie Hayes Gallery in the New Orleans French Quarter you can buy Children's Voodoo dolls.

http://www.jamiehayes.com/shop/category/dolls/voodoo-child-dolls/

I suppose there's people out there who think these dolls are racist, maybe? 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:00:55 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:31 am »
We have a small collection of Robertsons Gollies including a large advertising gollie about 3 foot tall, that does not make us racist at all, I've always found that it's just politically correct white people who worry about it   ¢¢##

Funny you should say that.....

https://wartimehousewife.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/my-name-is-the-wartime-housewife-and-i-love-golliwogs/

There was a programme on Radio 2 last year with Jeremy Vine, where the thorny issue of Gollys was discussed and people rang in with their views.  The responses pretty much backed up what I knew from my own friends and suspected about others:

Black people don’t think they look like Gollys.
I bet that’s come as a surprise.
It doesn’t matter how strenuously the white, liberal, middle classes hop up and down and suggest that everyone is deeply offended by them (the Gollys that is) –  I would suggest that it is only they who draw the comparison, not anyone else.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2011, 07:56:38 am »
How about religion? Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims etc.

That's an interesting one, T. One thing I would say, however, is that three of the above groups comprise members who choose to be part of them;  the Jews are unique, in that their nationality and religion are inextricably intertwined in a way none of the others is.