Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 392289 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #975 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:08 pm »
It's not always straightforward. Insurance is one major issue and film companies in general tend to have a flexible relationship with what they say at the outset and what they tend to do once on location.  Would be interesting to know the precise details.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #976 on: July 20, 2018, 02:23:18 pm »
I've been forwarded some information - anonymously - which I'll print here:

"Adam Williams went on holiday after leaving a contract unsigned for £75k with the BBC for 4 days filming.
This would have netted him approximately £50k profit.  On his return it's alleged he demanded the sum be upped to £90k.  The film company reluctantly agreed.

It's then alleged that on the day the film cmpany trucks arrived, he pushed for another £15,000,  at which point the film company had had enough and arranged Penarth Pier within an hour of his demand.

The BBC were also going to give the four affected kiosk owners £1000 each.  They are distraught now."

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #977 on: July 20, 2018, 03:23:05 pm »
Seems some people are so greedy they end up with nothing! How stupid, should have taken the original amount and kept it on good terms then get more filmwork in the future! Or as in this case be greedy and get nothing! 🤔
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #978 on: July 20, 2018, 04:14:52 pm »

"Adam Williams went on holiday after leaving a contract unsigned for £75k with the BBC for 4 days filming.
This would have netted him approximately £50k profit.  On his return it's alleged he demanded the sum be upped to £90k.  The film company reluctantly agreed.

It's then alleged that on the day the film cmpany trucks arrived, he pushed for another £15,000,  at which point the film company had had enough and arranged Penarth Pier within an hour of his demand.

The BBC were also going to give the four affected kiosk owners £1000 each.  They are distraught now."

What have the BBC got to do with it? They aren't financing it, Sounds like a load of nonsense to me  :-X

Offline Dave

« Reply #979 on: July 21, 2018, 09:02:42 am »
Whatever the truth the fact is the production company upped sticks and headed to Penarth which hadn't originally been planned. I'm amazed they went ahead and set up in Llandudno in the first place without contracts being signed to cover all the locations they wanted to use. Sounds like a game of poker that was won by someone who wasn't even sat at the table.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #980 on: July 21, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »
Whatever the truth the fact is the production company upped sticks and headed to Penarth which hadn't originally been planned. I'm amazed they went ahead and set up in Llandudno in the first place without contracts being signed to cover all the locations they wanted to use. Sounds like a game of poker that was won by someone who wasn't even sat at the table.

I am not sure anybody won,  most of all Llandudno,

Offline Dave

« Reply #981 on: July 21, 2018, 04:51:59 pm »

I am not sure anybody won,  most of all Llandudno,

Penarth?

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #982 on: July 21, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »
Penarth?

Not really as the pier there is supposedly being closed for a couple of weeks.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #983 on: July 21, 2018, 05:06:51 pm »
I forgot about Penarth.........................

FILM CREW EJECTED FROM LLANDUDNO PIER TAKES OVER PENARTH PIER
Posted on July 18, 2018      Penarth's on-line daily news service

There appears to be escalating chaos around the filming of a Judi Dench, Eddie Izzard movie called “Six Minutes to Midnight” – being apparently being filmed partly in Penarth and partly in Llandudno,
Requests by  the film crew to carry out “structural alterations” to Llandudno Pier were refused by the firm that owns the pier and filming work is said to have “come to an abrupt end

As a result scenes which were to have been filmed in Llandudno are to be shot on Penarth Pier – further limiting access to Penarth Pier for local residents and visitors.

This morning the Vale of Glamorgan Council issued a brief and unexpected press release saying that Penarth Pier would be closed from today Wednesday July 18th until Saturday July 21st.  It’s most unusual for such minimal notice to be given of the closure of a major public facility.

The release also stated that businesses on Penarth Pier would be able to claim compensation for loss of business during the closure . The Vale Council has said that “any businesses affected by this will be compensated by the production company” [i.e not from the council]

Meanwhile the Six Minutes to Midnight film crew – a massive caravan of some 40 trucks – is pulling out of Llandudno and returning to Penarth to carry on filming .
The irony is that the production company making the film Mad as Birds Ltd is based in Llandudno.

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2018/07/18/penarth-pier-to-be-closed-for-the-rest-of-this-week/

Offline Dave

« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2018, 11:03:19 am »
There is more than the short term benefits of a cash injection to consider when it comes to film locations. There can be a long term benefit too, particularly if the film is a box office hit, as visitors want to see the places for themselves. I'm sure it helps if it's an obvious landmark too.
I bet Penarth will benefit from extra foot traffic on their pier. A missed opportunity in Llandudno that's for sure. 

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2018, 11:16:40 pm »

Your anonymous source failed to inform you of all the extra demands that the film crew required to be carried out, at the last minute, before they started to film and which hadn't been agreed to in the unsigned contract. All the benches removing plus the removal of the fire main pipe work plus the shutting down the pier to the General Public for up to 4 days. The amount of money the Production Company were willing to pay would not have covered Adam Williams losses. Let Penarth have the disruption, they're welcome to it.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #986 on: July 23, 2018, 12:11:52 am »
Let me add a bit to this BlongB, and correct part of what you’re saying.
It’s well over a month ago that Simon told me personally that the pier was going to be closing for four days in July for filming.   From the Happy Valley gates upwards.  That’s long been known.  In fact Simon broadcast it on his Facebook page round about that time.
He’d told the four affected concessions before he told me, as he was also looking into the possibility of compensation for them.
Fast forward a couple of weeks, and the concessions were aware that about half the benches would have to be moved.  Those nearest the 2 caravan sales kiosks.   That was annoying because they normally store them in the arcade in winter, but couldn’t in high season.
I don’t know anything about the water pipe that supplies the bar, toilets and cafe though.
An easy thing to edit out I would have thought, just like the wind farm was going to be.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #987 on: July 25, 2018, 09:32:51 am »
To add to fester's comments, I spoke to a current concessionaire the other day and they said that they had been told many weeks ago that the pier was to be closed for a week for filming in July.

I note the comments from Vale of Glamorgan Council re the closure of the pier for filming:

Councillor John Thomas, leader of the Vale of Glamorgan council , said: “We see this as an excellent opportunity to allow one of the Vale’s most iconic landmarks to be featured in a production which is likely to attract a large audience.

"It is also an excellent income opportunity for the council which, given the current financial climate, we could not turn down.

“Businesses who have had to close for this period will be suitably compensated for the disruption and we hope that in the long-term, it will attract more visitors to the area.”

Funny how the film production company could make sure of Penarth Pier without damaging it???

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2018, 09:01:13 pm »
Mr Williams is a money man,end of

Offline Mike

« Reply #989 on: August 09, 2018, 09:16:02 pm »
So much for the token system on the pier  - Was on the pier on Saturday and overheard  the attendant on  the swing ride next to the trampolines say to two customers 3 tokens but you cant buy them from here - just give me £2 cash...
Was back there again last week with my daughter, now 4 tokens (£4) for about 5 mins - gone up 33% in 1 year!! of four trampolines mostly had 1 or 2 children using it. Same on other rides.
Drop the prices and fill them up! 1 x £4  is only £4 income, better 4x£2 or 3x£3