Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396008 times)

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #810 on: January 10, 2016, 10:31:37 am »
Hi All,

I came across a TV program here in Australia some time back titled 'How Britain Worked' starring Guy Martin. The show was made around November 2012 and covered the restoration of the Llandudno Pier. It was of interest to me as I was trying to trace my father's history (born in Llandudno 1909). I looked back on this forum but could not find any reference to this show in relation to the Pier.

At the risk of opening Pandora's Box, was this not a positive thing?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #811 on: January 10, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »
Hi All,

I came across a TV program here in Australia some time back titled 'How Britain Worked' starring Guy Martin. The show was made around November 2012 and covered the restoration of the Llandudno Pier. It was of interest to me as I was trying to trace my father's history (born in Llandudno 1909). I looked back on this forum but could not find any reference to this show in relation to the Pier.

At the risk of opening Pandora's Box, was this not a positive thing?

Hi Down Under.
Yes, it was a great programme, and it was referred to on here at the time.
If I remember rightly, there was no big fuss made about it, and it wasn't discussed on THIS particular thread, because the programme featured other parts of Llandudno too.

Put Guy Martin into the search bar on this Forum, I'm sure it will take you to the correct thread.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »
I have often thought that whilst the positioning of the 'memorial' seats on the Pier may give due prominence to the tribute plaque aren't the seats the wrong way round? Especially on the side facing the bay wouldn't you want the seat to face the water and the bay rather than face the Orme and just have people passing close by you blocking the view?

Offline Barber

« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »
I have often thought that whilst the positioning of the 'memorial' seats on the Pier may give due prominence to the tribute plaque aren't the seats the wrong way round? Especially on the side facing the bay wouldn't you want the seat to face the water and the bay rather than face the Orme and just have people passing close by you blocking the view?
A good idea in theory, but if the benches were the other way around they would probably have to take up more pier space in order to provide enough legroom.

Offline hiraeth

« Reply #814 on: January 16, 2016, 11:35:39 am »
A Pier memory.
One of my sons used to work on the pier in his holidays (?30 years ago!) He was a rock climber and was useful to hang suspended under the pier to clean off rust and repaint. He was also asked to throw the mooring rope back onto the deck of the Isle of Man ship as it left it's mooring. Also a night watch, creepy on a wild and windy night when he took the dog for support, he didn't like the Ghost Train area very much!
He always said how pleasant all the pier staff were and would often make him a cuppa.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #815 on: January 24, 2016, 09:53:43 am »
I noticed yesterday that the burger/coffee kiosk at the pier entrance has been removed, I understand it is to be replaced by a large Welsh gifts/seaside fancy goods kiosk.

What was also interesting was the number of kiosks on the pier with 'to let'  signs in them, like the psychic, gifts, and photography kiosks. Obviously, trading on the pier cannot be that lucrative for some traders.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #816 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:46 am »
I wonder if the lady in the psychic kiosk knows what is coming.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #817 on: January 24, 2016, 11:18:21 am »
I noticed yesterday that the burger/coffee kiosk at the pier entrance has been removed, I understand it is to be replaced by a large Welsh gifts/seaside fancy goods kiosk.

The most off-putting thing about the pier has been that burger kiosk at the entrance; running the gauntlet of that disgusting smell was awful and many people approaching the pier turned away not venturing onto the pier because of it. The only surprise is why it was allowed to continue for so long.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #818 on: January 25, 2016, 09:13:33 am »
I also noticed when on the Pier that MP Marine have 'set up shop' outside the Bar, in order to carry out maintenance work. Hopefully that ropey looking section of Railing by the Slide is on the list!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #819 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:54 am »
Haven't been on the pier for a while, but the patch of railing hit me in the eye the other day. It seems to stand out from the rest.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #820 on: January 25, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »
I also noticed when on the Pier that MP Marine have 'set up shop' outside the Bar, in order to carry out maintenance work. Hopefully that ropey looking section of Railing by the Slide is on the list!

It must be Dave,  it had been removed today when I walked by.... and the area fenced off.
It's good to see those 'eyesore' areas being addressed.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #821 on: January 26, 2016, 09:03:54 am »

It must be Dave,  it had been removed today when I walked by.... and the area fenced off.
Yes, it's good to see the Owner living up to his promise to maintain the Pier well.  $good$

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #822 on: January 26, 2016, 10:19:53 am »

I think you should be fenced off  ;D

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #823 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:32 pm »

What was also interesting was the number of kiosks on the pier with 'to let'  signs in them, like the psychic, gifts, and photography kiosks. Obviously, trading on the pier cannot be that lucrative for some traders.

Large rent increases by the new owner?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #824 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:18 am »

Large rent increases by the new owner?

Amongst other issues, yes.
Fester...