Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 410813 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #795 on: July 06, 2015, 07:42:58 pm »

........ it stands to reason that a single person making random observations might, just conceivably, be less than accurate.

There is indeed a chance that Academic Surveys of various kinds 'might' be more accurate than my observations / opinions.
I would put that chance at 50-50.
i.e. There is a 50% chance that I am correct, and a 50% chance that I am incorrect.

I base that on the FACT that every single poll and survey prior to the recent General Election concluded that Labour would triumph, no poll of any kind came to the opposing conclusion.

I however, kept saying that I believed that the Conservatives would win!   
So, apart from being a 'frustrated comic',  it is just possible I may be a VISIONARY!   :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #796 on: July 06, 2015, 07:57:10 pm »
I base that on the FACT that every single poll and survey prior to the recent General Election concluded that Labour would triumph, no poll of any kind came to the opposing conclusion.

Actually, the Survation telephone poll (6th May) got the result about right, in fact, and I don't recall any  other polls suggesting an overall majority for either Labour or Tory.  The overall conclusion most came to was that there'd be another coalition;  they simply didn't realise that coalition would be the Tories themselves... 

Better stick to comedy. You're better at it than clairvoyance.    WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #797 on: July 06, 2015, 08:17:51 pm »
Topical programme on ITV Wales at the mo'. Wales This Week looking at seaside resorts struggling to attract 21st century holidaymakers. Llandudno & Rhyl being covered.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #798 on: July 06, 2015, 08:25:52 pm »
Topical programme on ITV Wales at the mo'. Wales This Week looking at seaside resorts struggling to attract 21st century holidaymakers. Llandudno & Rhyl being covered.

I much preferred 20th Century visitors anyway.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #799 on: July 06, 2015, 08:28:40 pm »

Actually, the Survation telephone poll (6th May) got the result about right, in fact, and I don't recall any  other polls suggesting an overall majority for either Labour or Tory.  The overall conclusion most came to was that there'd be another coalition;  they simply didn't realise that coalition would be the Tories themselves... 

Better stick to comedy. You're better at it than clairvoyance.    WWW WWW WWW

So you won't even concede this teensy little point?   Who's the Alpha Male now?
I still say... Pollsters 0  Fester 1

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #800 on: July 07, 2015, 07:29:54 am »
 WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #801 on: August 08, 2015, 10:36:41 am »
FIRE: A bin was accidentally set on fire on Llandundo Pier in the early hours of this morning. One fire crew from Llandudno put the blaze out at 12.15am. A discarded cigarette is thought to have sparked it.REFDP

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #802 on: October 27, 2015, 05:55:31 pm »
It's nearly six months since the pier was sold to new local owners. Maybe it's too soon to judge but have there been any noticeable changes thus far?

Llandudno Pier sold to Tir Prince leisure boss
15:12, 6 May 2015

Offline Barber

« Reply #803 on: December 20, 2015, 03:39:33 pm »
There has been some previous discussion on this forum about the benches on the pier.  I sponsored one of these benches a few months ago soon after the new owners took over.  The cost was in excess of £600 on the basis of a 10 year lease to include annual maintenance.  I was happy to think that this bench would be a long term tribute to my family.
Recently I received a letter from the pier owners which said:

'The maintenance of the benches has become a real drain on both our investment and man hours.'
'Due to this we will now have to charge an annual maintenance fee for the benches.  The fee will be £40 a year which we will invoice for you annually in October'.

I don't know if other bench sponsors read this forum, but if you do I was wondering how you feel about this demand for an extra £360 (with no guarantees that it won't increase), which seems to me to be in breach of the original contract and totally unenforceable.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: December 21, 2015, 11:15:06 am »
That seems more than a little unfair to all those people who have paid for the benches and expected no further costs during the 10 year period.  &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #805 on: January 07, 2016, 05:21:19 pm »
I couldn't agree more about the costs but I do wish that those who feel the need to have a memorial bench didn't feel the need to adorn it with flowers, particularly plastic ones. It's really depressing to see dead stalks wrapped in cellophane with a note attached where the ink has run. A walk along the pier, and the way things are going, a walk along the prom, is becoming more like a stroll around a cemetery. Enough is enough and In my humble opinion part of the deal should be that nothing other than a discreet plaque should be allowed to adorn the bench.
Or is it just me ?

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #806 on: January 07, 2016, 07:07:07 pm »
I do wish that those who feel the need to have a memorial bench didn't feel the need to adorn it with flowers, particularly plastic ones. It's really depressing to see dead stalks wrapped in cellophane with a note attached where the ink has run. A walk along the pier, and the way things are going, a walk along the prom, is becoming more like a stroll around a cemetery. Enough is enough and In my humble opinion part of the deal should be that nothing other than a discreet plaque should be allowed to adorn the bench.
Or is it just me ?

I agree with you Dave, it's a memorial bench with a plaque, not a grave site.  :(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Barber

« Reply #807 on: January 07, 2016, 08:03:27 pm »
I agree too, and in fact the letter which asked us for more money also had a section which said that this would no longer be allowed.  So, in future there should be just the plaques and no further tributes on display.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #808 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:22 am »
I do wish that those who feel the need to have a memorial bench didn't feel the need to adorn it with flowers, particularly plastic ones. It's really depressing to see dead stalks wrapped in cellophane with a note attached where the ink has run. A walk along the pier, and the way things are going, a walk along the prom, is becoming more like a stroll around a cemetery. Enough is enough and In my humble opinion part of the deal should be that nothing other than a discreet plaque should be allowed to adorn the bench.
Or is it just me ?

I agree with you Dave, it's a memorial bench with a plaque, not a grave site.  :(
I do agree, too. There is the odd bench on the Prom that is so adorned with flowers and photos that is practically impossible to sit on it properly without damaging the said items, defeats the whole object of providing a bench really.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #809 on: January 08, 2016, 09:34:04 am »
The past four years have flown by. $good$

Sponsoring a bench, whether on the pier or anywhere else, is certainly a nice idea.

However, what can become a problem is the sponsors fixing floral tributes to the bench.  This will often deter other people from using the bench and surely the benches are intended for people to sit on.  If the sponsors visit only occasionally, put on the flowers and then go away, who is supposed to remove the flowers when they die (if real ones) or become tatty (if artificial)?  After a while these benches can become eyesores. 

I know that I'm not alone in thinking this.  Right, Bri?