Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 410557 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #615 on: September 24, 2014, 09:51:46 am »
American cruise liners could arrive in Llandudno by next year

Published date: 24 September 2014 |
Published by: Mike Williams

AMERICAN cruise ships could be heading to Llandudno as early as next year.

Tourism chiefs are in talks with US companies to add the resort to their destinations itinerary during cruise holidays with vessels making use of the pier’s new landing stage to bring passengers ashore.

Pier manager Simon Mason, who explained the moves to attract the cruise liners to the resort are being led by the Welsh Government, said: “The hope is to have them here in 2015 - if not they should certainly be here by 2016. It is going to happen because the Americans want it to happen.”

Mr Mason said the long-term scale of plans is “frustrating” but is confident the ships, packed with tourists from the East Coast of the US, will arrive now the landing stage is complete.

“It will open up a whole new world for Llandudno, because the Americans are always big on the kind of thing we have here. They come for castles, herritage and history - in Llandudno, they will come straight onto the pier in a Victorian seaside town - the mountains are just down the road and it’s all right there for them.”

The cruises would be another addition to a growing list of seaborne transport attractions set for Llandudno.

Hovercraft firm Hoverlink announced plans for a connection from Llandudno to Merseyside in May.

The Waverley paddle steamer, which carries up to 700 passengers, was also set to arrive from Liverpool in August, but failed to dock twice  due to the rough sea conditions.

But Waverley Excursions still hope to bring the vessel to Llandudno next year.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/138540/american-cruise-liners-could-arrive-in-llandudno-by-next-year.aspx

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #616 on: September 24, 2014, 10:52:44 am »
American cruise liners could arrive in Llandudno by next year

I do not want to be negative, but my first thoughts were, why here, when Holyhead is already set up for these ships, (they have 16 booked for 2015)  and only a coach trip away from the tourist sites, I also understand the passengers have to be ferried ashore, and after the Waverley's docking problems.....

Waverley Excursions still hope to bring the vessel to Llandudno next year.
I hope they do come but, they cannot afford any more cancellations.

I still say there is an opportunity for a suitable permanent boat, to be working from the pier, and this should be investigated by Mr Mason.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #617 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:01 am »
Liverpool is also set to take off as a cruise turnaround port.

There is a major Cunard event there next May.

Offline Dave

« Reply #618 on: September 24, 2014, 11:33:04 am »
The benefit to the cruise line might be the saving on port docking fees but passengers would have to be tendered ashore. Personally, as a passenger I would prefer to be on the dock with freedom to come and go as I please but landing on shore whatever way in Llandudno offers more choice than Holyhead does for those who want to organise their own days out. Liverpool has plenty of attractions close at hand but for Holyhead, you need to take an organised a tour or take an expensive taxi ride. A very lucrative part of the cruise ship's income might be lost in Llandudno.

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #619 on: September 24, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
A long walk from and to end of pier exposed to the weather, a lot of the passengers will be elderly and not used to roughing it.
 Also is there room for a fleet of coaches by the pier gates ?

I am sure Holyhead is a much safer option for them when they can berth alongside whatever the weather.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #620 on: September 24, 2014, 05:38:05 pm »
A long walk from and to end of pier exposed to the weather, a lot of the passengers will be elderly and not used to roughing it.
I am sure Holyhead is a much safer option for them when they can berth alongside whatever the weather.

A fleet of golf buggies ?  ?

If it does end up in Holyhead, somebody needs to get organised and have a  free shuttle coach, lined up to bring them here.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #621 on: September 24, 2014, 06:28:24 pm »

Those of what is used to Cruzing, can tell of the utter chaos trying to get up to 3,000 people off a liner even at a "walk off" port.  I don't think we will see any large American or even English vessels parking at Llandudno until a deep water berth is available.  We have had this chat before!
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #622 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »
"Those of what is used to Cruzing, can tell of the utter chaos trying to get up to 3,000 people off a liner even at a "walk off" port."

Those numbers had not crossed my mind, puts a different slant on it all together.   ???

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #623 on: September 24, 2014, 06:47:45 pm »
Or even just 1,000. Tours can add to the chaos.  Each coach takes 50 passengers, so with just 1000 taking tours makes 20 coaches.  A fleet of taxis standing by, plus the usual touts, police, sightseers, it doesn't take much imagination to realise the problems.

The liners are getting bigger and bigger and are virtually small floating towns.

Forgot to mention that the crew also like to take a trip ashore, so add another few hundred.

ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #624 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:32 pm »
Almost worth building a new dock..... ;D

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #625 on: September 24, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »
Maybe in Colwyn

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #626 on: September 24, 2014, 10:26:22 pm »
  Wrex---Maybe Bryn the Chef might be on a winner if he lasts out for a dozen or so years

Offline Dave

« Reply #627 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »
Ah, been wondering what the big trench is for between the pier and the skip... a deep water dock.

Offline No 6

« Reply #628 on: December 04, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
An early Christmas present for Llandudno, Menai and Caernarvon???

http://www.heritagesteamers.co.uk/balmoral/future.htm

And I'm sure we won't be doing a fly by!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: December 04, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
An early Christmas present for Llandudno, Menai and Caernarvon???

http://www.heritagesteamers.co.uk/balmoral/future.htm

And I'm sure we won't be doing a fly by!
Will be great to see the Balmoral back in Llandudno.   $good$