Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396015 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #495 on: July 24, 2013, 11:20:31 am »
The Forum broke this story, now the local press have caught up:

Hopes dashed that pleasure cruises will return to Llandudno before end of summer
Published date: 24 July 2013 | Published by: Iwan Berry
Read more articles by Iwan Berry Email reporter

PLEASURE cruises will not be sailing from Llandudno Pier this summer after further delays to renovation work.

Marine licensing issues are threatening to halt renovation work to the fenders and landing stage on Llandudno pier and engineers have been ordered to stop work until the licenses are renewed. In April, sea tours company Waverley Excursions was forced to cancel its maiden voyage to the pier due to delays.

Responsibility for the improvements was taken over by Six Piers Ltd from Conwy Council in June, with work on the landing stage by engineers MP Marine beginning earlier this month.

But Simon Mason, general manager of the pier, warned awaiting new licenses for work could take up to a month – which could push back the planned opening date to October.

He said: “The work started about two weeks ago, and we received a visit from the Crown Estates telling us the licenses were out of date. It could take up to a month to get work re-started.”

He added: “We were told by Conwy that the licenses were in place. We were assured we when the work was taken over that a license was in place, then we discovered it’s not. This could be anywhere between a month to six weeks for a delay, and that’s only if the weather’s looking favourable, which it’s not.”

Cllr Garry Burchett, Mayor of Llandudno, said: “If this is true then I have to say I am horrified. It’s ridiculous. The last thing we want is to have to wait until next year.”

A spokesperson for Waverley Excursions said it would continue to aim for a tour date launching from the pier on September 3.

Mike Norris, for the Crown Estate, said the pier was owned entirely by Six Piers Ltd and therefore Crown Estate did not have any responsibility for licensing work on areas it did not own.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/124912/hopes-dashed-that-pleasure-cruises-will-return-to-llandudno-before-end-of-summer.aspx

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #496 on: July 24, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »
Is anyone surprised by this?  Don't all shout at once.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #497 on: July 25, 2013, 02:13:32 pm »
Just disappointed Fester, as another chance to cruise our beautiful coast line goes begging.  :(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #498 on: July 25, 2013, 04:11:01 pm »
Am I the only one a little confused by Mr Mason saying Crown Estates visited and then the quote from the Crown Estates says its nothing to do with them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:52 pm »
Am I the only one a little confused by Mr Mason saying Crown Estates visited and then the quote from the Crown Estates says its nothing to do with them.
I thought that was a little odd. Crown Estates seemed to be saying that it was nothing to do with them?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #500 on: July 25, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »
CCBC will be responsible,believe me.

Offline No 6

« Reply #501 on: July 26, 2013, 02:03:08 am »
I'll be quite honest - as the pier structure is entirely owned by Six Piers who carry out work on it year in, year out; and no work is taking place in the sea bed beyond low water mark, I did wonder what interest Crown Estates have.

This adds to the confusion as when the pier was built, they may have taken rights to carry out maintenance as part and parcel of the title.

The area of the landing stage is relatively new - 1967 - so the legal title there will be relatively recent, and readable.

Time for a clear Yeah or Nay from Crown Estates

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:44 am »
I'll be quite honest - as the pier structure is entirely owned by Six Piers who carry out work on it year in, year out; and no work is taking place in the sea bed beyond low water mark, I did wonder what interest Crown Estates have.

This adds to the confusion as when the pier was built, they may have taken rights to carry out maintenance as part and parcel of the title.

The area of the landing stage is relatively new - 1967 - so the legal title there will be relatively recent, and readable.

Time for a clear Yeah or Nay from Crown Estates
All is revealed in the attached document:

Offline Blongb

« Reply #503 on: July 28, 2013, 12:26:21 am »
On Page 5 of the Schedule of restrictive covenants continued it states :-

"And also will, at all times keep the premises in a good and proper state of repair, and in proper condition, free from all defects
injurious to navigation or the adjacent lands or the public interest."

Am I wrong? or does that imply the Pier Company was responsible in Law for keeping the landing stage in a condition fit for purpose and that no Public Body held them to account?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #504 on: July 28, 2013, 12:52:31 am »
This is one of two threads entitled Llandudno Pier.    Confused?  I am!  (although it doesn't take much to confuse me)  :-X
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #505 on: July 28, 2013, 08:01:59 am »
This is for current news and affairs on the Pier.... The other is for old affairs  Z**
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2013, 11:16:43 am »
This is for current news and affairs on the Pier.... The other is for old affairs  Z**

I put it on this thread Ian because that's where Dave R had put the Deeds link for the Pier. Am I wrong for commenting on what is current in this thread?  ???

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #507 on: July 28, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »
I think a restrictive covenant is not the law of the land.  It is something which is enforceable by only the grantor/beneficiary or their successors.  Anyone know who the successors are in this instance ?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #508 on: July 28, 2013, 07:32:40 pm »

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying Ian.   :-[ :-[

Fester...

Offline No 6

« Reply #509 on: July 29, 2013, 01:12:50 am »
The beneficiary of those covenants is the Crown as it is the Crown that imposed them.

The responsibility to enforce them is also the Crown's