Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 405990 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2013, 08:51:35 am »

There are five major buildings at the end of the pier and they are all wooden
Supposing one of them goes on fire this afternoon?

Providing there were no human or animal casualties, and no seaborne Fire-fighting vessel, and the Fire Service hoses were not long enough to reach from the nearest hydrant - it would burn down and someone could probably claim on their Insurance Policy for some nice new ones! 

Let's hope it doesn't burn down.   ££$

Which makes me consider that for H & S reasons there should be Fire-fighting equipment ON the Pier - say, a hydrant every 100 yards, or metres depending on your choice of length.  After all there is a water supply along the length of it!   ;)

And surely the separate buildings should have some Fire Extinguishers?   
As they are open to the public H & S must be properly considered and complied with, and I'm sure the requirements haven't changed since I was in business.   D)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #451 on: July 07, 2013, 08:59:03 am »
Plenty of exits ,jump overboard,might get wet but you;ll be safe as long as you can swim.Any one coming to town on a wet or dull day will find all areas semi-deserted,but like today it will be heaving again,so i take it they came on a bad day.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:44 am »
My point is there is little room now to get safely off the pier in an emergency.

As a result of all the repair work going on around the spur, in my opinion, management should have removed one or two of their existing kiosks on a temporary basis.

Let's hope and pray their gamble pays off.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: July 07, 2013, 10:38:52 am »
There is a full fire alarm system on the Pier, also hydrants at regular intervals along the main section of Pier and fire extinguishers in the buildings.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #454 on: July 07, 2013, 12:23:50 pm »
There is a full fire alarm system on the Pier, also hydrants at regular intervals along the main section of Pier and fire extinguishers in the buildings.

It's welcome to know, that rather negates the problem.   I often wonder how one would evacuate a cinema or Venue Cymru Theatre in an emergency, as the amount of Exit Door space is rather limited.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #455 on: July 07, 2013, 01:12:32 pm »
That is a matter of opinion, Yorkie.

You try parking a wheelchair or scooter against an exit door and see what happens?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #456 on: July 07, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »

You try parking a wheelchair or scooter against an exit door and see what happens?

Sorry, don't understand your point.  I would imagine that, if I did as you say, I would be informed in no uncertain terms to remove it!   ???
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:57 am »
Most businesses have fitted digital fire alarm systems within their premises which give very early warning of the outbreak of a fire. This gives you time to organise an orderly evacuation of any affected area and gets the Fire Service to the scene a lot quicker than when we had the old analogue systems. So well working on the pier (which probably doesn't have a digital system)  at this time of the year is far from ideal, very often needs must.
Just so long as we end up with a better Pier in the long run. 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2013, 05:20:06 am »

Sorry, don't understand your point.  I would imagine that, if I did as you say, I would be informed in no uncertain terms to remove it!   ???

Yorkie, quite rightly you accept in your own example of Venue Cymru that all exit doors should be kept free from of any obstruction then should not the same principle apply to an exit off a wooden pier?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2013, 07:09:35 am »
Quite right Bri.  But as I understand it, the restriction on the Pier is being caused by essential maintenance works, rather than a deliberate act of blocking.    I presume that in the interest of H & S they considered such matters prior to commencement.   I haven't been down there myself so am not aware of the extent of the obstruction.    :)
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2013, 09:45:17 pm »
It's pretty tight to be fair..... but they are making a GREAT omelette, therefore they have broken a few eggs.

The renovated cast iron railings arrived today, to be fitted this week into the newly made shoulders.
It is going to look great in a matter of days.  :) :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:41 am »
A section of wooden railings at the Pierhead is to be replaced by the cast iron type as part of the Landing Stage renovations, I wonder if the new ones are destined for there?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2013, 12:33:21 pm »
We went to the pier last night for a post work/school stroll and we were absolutely astonished that on a hot, sunny evening in July, with loads of people milling about, the only place open along the entire length of the pier was the amusement arcade at the entrance.  There wasn't one kiosk open, nowhere to buy an ice cream or a drink.....just nothing.  I overhead quite a few people commenting on this, mostly tourists wondering why no one seemed to want to relieve them of their spending money.  I know the school holidays haven't started yet but surely 8th July must fall within the tourist season, even in Llandudno  ???.  On the other hand it seemed most of the pubs and bars at the top end of town were happily cashing in, there were crowds stood outside the Queen Vic, probably refugees from the wasteland that was the pier.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2013, 01:57:44 pm »
We went to the pier last night for a post work/school stroll and we were absolutely astonished that on a hot, sunny evening in July, with loads of people milling about, the only place open along the entire length of the pier was the amusement arcade at the entrance.  There wasn't one kiosk open, nowhere to buy an ice cream or a drink.....just nothing.  I overhead quite a few people commenting on this, mostly tourists wondering why no one seemed to want to relieve them of their spending money.  I know the school holidays haven't started yet but surely 8th July must fall within the tourist season, even in Llandudno  ???.  On the other hand it seemed most of the pubs and bars at the top end of town were happily cashing in, there were crowds stood outside the Queen Vic, probably refugees from the wasteland that was the pier.

Some of those people with kiosks must be very lazy :-X :-X

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #464 on: July 09, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.