Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396019 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »
On Ships of Calmac Forum someone has picked up that Planning permision has not yet been applied for restoration of the landing stage.
This scheme has been talked about for months so why has nothing been done about it ?

Think Waverley Excursions will have to go for a Plan B if they have one.

Can not see it is possible for a visit later in the year, the timetable has no suitable dates . Season ends in October
Llandudno loses out again .   $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2013, 05:21:43 pm »
On Ships of Calmac Forum someone has picked up that Planning permision has not yet been applied for restoration of the landing stage.
It has, see the link in my post here:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61.msg57893.html#msg57893

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #407 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:02 pm »
Sadly, the landing stage restoration is no nearer commencing.

Delays between the Council and the Contractors has been cited.
'No Comment' is the official response from the Pier at this time.

Off the record,Pier Management are 100% convinced that the project WILL happen.... but certainly cannot say when.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #408 on: April 08, 2013, 01:06:37 am »
Hi fester i was under the impresion that the money was all ready there for the contract in febuary march to start. dave took some pictures. building materials and scafolding work being done is the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing. How is work going on at the clarance hotel.and the railway station.  Romanjohn

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #409 on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:01 am »
Clarence Hotel?? Nil-- we now have another one closed in the same area--The Royal.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:59 am »
Work on the Clarence is scheduled to start next month (hopefully). Fingers crossed the Royal is sold quickly and reopened.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #411 on: April 08, 2013, 06:50:33 pm »
Hi fester i was under the impresion that the money was all ready there for the contract in febuary march to start. dave took some pictures. building materials and scafolding work being done is the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing.

There is an A4 sheet of paper in the window of the amusement arcade at the end of the pier that states work was due to start in the first week of March and would last 6 weeks.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #412 on: April 08, 2013, 07:02:12 pm »
 but did it say which march  _))* wonder wha thev,e done with that money

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:46 am »
It is safe to say that £300k doesn't go very far when you have surveyors, lawyers, structural engineers etc, all dipping in for a slice.   They don't come cheap, and they create work for themselves.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #414 on: April 09, 2013, 08:37:34 am »
Work on the Clarence is scheduled to start next month (hopefully). Fingers crossed the Royal is sold quickly and reopened.

re The Clarence---next month is always as it says--next month-- never This Month

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: April 09, 2013, 08:41:35 am »
May was always the quoted restart date for work, though.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #416 on: April 09, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
We shall live in hope-- meanwhile the dandelions at the front are making a lovely splash of colour.

Offline No 6

« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2013, 12:36:50 am »
I have read that entry on Ships of Calmac and corrected it as follows :-

A colleague and I have looked very deeply into the Llandudno fiasco .

The pdf WEL published in early March, with a dated timetable and fares ex Llandudno had been formulated without any confirmation at all being obtained as to the pier being available to accept calls from either the pier owners, or Conwy Council who are carrying out the repairs on the privately owned - Trevor Hemmings - Centre Parcs - Six Piers Ltd - pier, using funds from the Gwynt y Mor wind farm levy,. I know this because I have taken the trouble to speak directly with the various parties.

Enquiries at first revealed substantial problems yet to be overcome before a contract for the repairs can be let, and also - it must be pointed out - a steely determination to achieve that aim, but then deeper research revealed that planning was still at consultation stage, as the pier is a listed structure and works will need not just Council and Six Piers financial and contractual commitment, but the grant of formal planning consent, as without it, the pier being a listed structure, work without planning consent is a criminal offence, so there is a critical bar to progress in that element.

Planning Consultation closes on the 17th April so it is likely that planning consent will follow at an early date. One must hope that the obstacles referred to previously have been under discussion throughout the intervening weeks, and they too can be signed off at the earliest opportunity to allow work to actually start.

Works are programmed to need a ten to twelve weeks possession of the landing stage from commencement, so it can now be seen that mid July was always the earliest possible date that the pier would be ready, and that the anticipated end of August schedule, as always regarded as prudent locally, was the date that should have been put into any sailing schedule and not the end of May which was never compatible with any scenario.

WEL have now dropped one day's programme altogether and substituted a two day programme of seven and eleven hour open sea cruises to nowhere, from Pier Head when there were revenue positive alternatives on offer in either local charters in - to say the least - enclosed waters, with publicity of substantial magnitude surrounding them, or extending the Bristol Channel season where multi call cruising is a reality.

I understand the the Business Development Board has ceased to exist - I think it shows!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:57 am »
Thanks again for the info, No. 6.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:24 pm »
News of the delays on the Landing Stage work has finally broken in the local Press:

Maiden voyage pushed back due to delays on Llandudno Pier work

Published date: 10 April 2013
Published by: Mike Williams

PLANS to offer pleasure cruises off Llandudno have hit trouble.

The maiden voyage of the Waverley steam ship, planned for next month, has been pushed back after delays to work allowing landings at Llandudno Pier.

A Conwy Council spokesperson did not give details as to why work has been held off but said: “Work to repair the landing stage has been delayed, but we are hoping to move the project forward as soon as possible.”

Llandudno mayor Cllr Myra Wigzell was disappointed with the delay to what she claimed would be “massive” for the town.

She said: “This is a bit of a blow.

“The cruises are going to be massive for the town, and I really hope they are running in time for the season.

“Hopefully they can get a move on with the work and get it done soon so the town can start reaping the benefits.”

The ship is reliant on a set of fenders on the pier when it comes to dock.

The fenders are due to be renovated using funds from RWE npower renewables, Conwy Council, Llandudno Town Council and Six Piers Limited.

The ship’s operator, Waverley Excursion, planned to launch the first Waverley cruise from the pier on Friday, May 31.

It would have marked the first time a steam ship has docked in Llandudno in seven years.

A cruise was also planned for Sunday, June 2, running trips along the North Wales coast.

Waverley Excursions Chief Executive, Kathleen O’Neill, said: “We are thrilled that the work is going to happen and that we’ll be coming back to Llandudno.

“I’m confident it will happen, and I think we have everybody on side.

“The Council and community seem keen to get this project going.”

Tickets purchased for the originally planned trip should be renewed for the new date.

Refunds will be given if plans fall through.

Ms O’Neill added: “We’re in contact with the council now and we’ll hopefully be able to confirm a new date for the launch soon.”

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/121583/maiden-voyage-pushed-back-due-to-delays-on-llandudno-pier-work.aspx