Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396081 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #345 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59:34 am »
So does that mean the pier will be closed during the summer months and people not allowed to walk down or shops to trade or people use the Waverley if it comes? Madness.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: January 19, 2013, 01:03:46 pm »
Fortunately not, the section on the other side of the kiosk is open, enabling access up/down the pier neck.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #347 on: January 19, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »
   Not quite with u Dave. How do you get onto the "neck" -- climb over the railings? Have I misunderstood you somewhere? Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »
There are walkways to both the left & right of the kiosk you can see closest to the camera on the right. The walkway to the left is blocked of, the walkway to the right remains open.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #349 on: January 19, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »
If the Pier Company has no money then who paid for what looked like a brand new electricty generator to be installed during this past week with the help of Buckleys Crane Hire over the railings and into the area of the Golden Goose?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: January 19, 2013, 05:22:07 pm »
Scottish Power, because it's their transformer. That building is the electricity sub-station for the entire Pier.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »
I believe the repair work on the Landing Stage is scheduled to start in late February.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #352 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:59 pm »
As I understand it, there are no plans to carry out any maintenance work on the decking this year.  &shake&

Last Saturday, I noticed they have begun to replace the decking just beyond the ladies toilets and where there used to be a shop/storeroom.

It seems they have also now decided to close the pier to the general public although I suspect it may still be open to fisherman.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #353 on: January 31, 2013, 06:10:40 pm »
It should be open at weekends Bri, certainly if the weather is reasonable.
The Manager has attempted to run the bar (as a cafe) over the winter.

Also, the schools half term begins on the 8th February this year, so I fully expect the Pier to be open to the general public in the week leading up to that, as I am expecting deliveries!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline martin

« Reply #354 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:02 pm »

Also, the schools half term begins on the 8th February this year, so I fully expect the Pier to be open to the general public in the week leading up to that, as I am expecting deliveries!
Fester, I may be wrong,  I have you down as proprietor of the Llandudno Pier version of the Walmington-on-Sea  Novelty Rock Emporium, am I warm? ???

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #355 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »
Fester, the pier was open to the public on Saturday as we both know because we exchanged greetings but it has not been open since (as far as I know).

There is a sign mentioning 'closed due to bad weather' on the front gate but when I queried this on Sunday with the pier workers they informed us to ignore what it says on that sign as the pier is closed because of all the work going on at the moment.

They also appear to be carrying out some work with scaffolding at the rear of the cafe at the far end of the pier.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #356 on: February 01, 2013, 10:09:23 am »

Fester, I may be wrong,  I have you down as proprietor of the Llandudno Pier version of the Walmington-on-Sea  Novelty Rock Emporium, am I warm? ???

Not rock Martin, but a lovely shop-- a welcoming owner-- and views to die for! 8)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #357 on: February 01, 2013, 09:08:54 pm »
Nemesis, thanks for the kind words.... you must be referring to when my wife is working!  :laugh:

Bri,  yes the Cafe at the Pier Head sustained a lot of storm damage back in Nov/Dec,  and has to be repaired as a matter of urgency.  It is the biggest cash generator on the pier, after the main arcade.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #358 on: February 01, 2013, 10:18:34 pm »
Even the main arcade was shut this morning even though it is advertised as being open on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sunddays.

Fester, how do tenants of kiosks get to know whether or not the pier will be open from one day to another to give them the option of opening or not?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2013, 10:24:00 pm »
Even the main arcade was shut this morning even though it is advertised as being open on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sunddays.

Fester, how do tenants of kiosks get to know whether or not the pier will be open from one day to another to give them the option of opening or not?

They don't.  That is a major problem for any kiosk owner who lives far away, as some do.
However, from 1st Dec to 28th Feb, it cannot be an issue as we are 'out of contract' anyway.
Therefore we are not actually entitled to access the pier.

Fester...