Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395600 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »
[No, they have sub-contracted Fester to do the nibbling...  :o  :laugh:

L0L
 They could do one hand in that kiosk and the other hand in a second hand shop  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DAVSUZ123

« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2011, 04:07:37 pm »
Good Afternoon. I have come across this forum this afternoon and wondered if anyone could inform me what the latest situation with regards to the old Pier Pavillion Theatre. Obviously i know that it has been destroyed by fire but wondered if there have been any developments with regards to the site and what is likely to happen to it.

As a child we as a family came to Llandudno every summer for the annual holiday staying at the Tynedale Hotel (?) and used to go to shows in the theatre. Remenber often seeing Alec Munro and seeing some one called Benny Garcia and Eddie Read appear with him. In fact i have a souvenir 7 inch record of the show.

If anyone can help that would be good.

Thanks

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2011, 09:17:00 pm »
Welcome to the Forum. The state of the Pier Pavilion site is a favourite bugbear of ours, there's some information here:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42.msg3886#msg3886
To summarise, the owner wants to build a large block of apartments on the site, everyone else doesn't. So it's been stalemate since 1994 and the local council lack the courage to carry out a compulsory purchase of the site. Most local people would like to see a copy of the original building built, containing various indoor leisure attractions.

There's a lot about Alex Munro on this thread:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=99.0

Any memories of those days, please share them...

Here's a piece of a documentary about Alex from the early 1970s:
Alex Munro Llandudno Interview.avi

Offline DAVSUZ123

« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2011, 10:35:04 pm »
Thanks DaveR. All the info is really good and brings back memories.

I can remember that there was a variety show on during the week but then on a sunday night there were special acts. Remember seeing Dickie Henderson one sunday night.

Remember the building being of an iconic status and was a stand out in the town.

Shame it is in the state it is - Mr Taylor has a lot to answer for.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2011, 08:06:45 pm »
This is probably the busiest week of the Season, so why on earth would the Pier Manager allow someone to park a large black van completely across the Happy Valley Entrance to the Pier?! You may as well lock the gates to prevent people coming on the pier and spending their money.  :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »
Thanks DaveR. All the info is really good and brings back memories.

I can remember that there was a variety show on during the week but then on a sunday night there were special acts. Remember seeing Dickie Henderson one sunday night.
I found this photo from the early 1980s showing 'This Sunday At 8 - Dickie Henderson' as the headline act at the Pavilion:

[smg id=217]
(Click pic to view larger version)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2011, 07:49:19 am »
 You can only dream of Llandudno looking that busy at night again.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2011, 08:07:02 am »
This is probably the busiest week of the Season, so why on earth would the Pier Manager allow someone to park a large black van completely across the Happy Valley Entrance to the Pier?! You may as well lock the gates to prevent people coming on the pier and spending their money.  :o

I also often wonder why the Pier Manager sells wooden benches and then to allow purchasers to decorate them with flowers and wreaths at either end when the memorial plaque on the seat should be sufficient.

It is such a shame because it leaves visitors too scared to sit on the benches.

wrex, for a moment I thought the crowds had been to see Dave Hanson at the Pier Pavilion.  :o

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2011, 05:39:37 pm »
I also often wonder why the Pier Manager sells wooden benches and then to allow purchasers to decorate them with flowers and wreaths at either end when the memorial plaque on the seat should be sufficient.

It is such a shame because it leaves visitors too scared to sit on the benches.

Bri, I agree completely and it's a problem not just on the pier but wherever there are memorial benches.  Does anyone ever come back to remove the flowers when they are dead (or tatty if they're artificial)?  It doesn't look like it!  Some of the benches then become such a mess that I wonder about posting them on the eyesores thread.  My OH gets pretty cross about this and we remove any dead or tatty flowers that we see.

When a bench has been given in memory of someone, whose property is it?  There are plenty of benches in public areas which also suffer from this, e.g. Invalids' Walk, Happy Valley, West Shore. 

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2011, 05:53:07 pm »
Blodyn, I am pleased to learn it is not just me.  $good$

Anyway, I believe both the Pier and CCBC could easily resolve the problem by introducing some Terms & Conditions.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »
When a bench has been given in memory of someone, whose property is it?  There are plenty of benches in public areas which also suffer from this, e.g. Invalids' Walk, Happy Valley, West Shore. 

I believe that they become the responsibility and thereby the property of the County Council, or the owner of the land.  So on the pier it would be the Six (or however many) Pier Co.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:46 pm »
Thanks, Yorkie.  I'll know who to complain to if I get worked up enough.

Bri, I'm pleased to learn it's not just us!  $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2011, 08:36:33 am »
Some people I know had a bench in Happy Valley in memory of his Mother. They were resposible for its upkeep.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:49 am »
The Benches in Parks etc are £800:

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=7852&doc=28056

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2011, 11:33:15 am »
Some people I know had a bench in Happy Valley in memory of his Mother. They were resposible for its upkeep.

On the Council blurb they use the word "Donate", to my mind that means "give".    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero