Author Topic: Why support St David's Hospice  (Read 25170 times)

Offline STDH

• St David's Hospice
    • www.stdavidshospice.org.uk
Why support St David's Hospice
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:43 am »

Why support St David's Hospice

St David’s Hospice is a registered charity caring for adult patients from across North West Wales, with an end of life illness such as cancer.The majority of funds we need to keep the Hospice running, come from community support and fundraising activities.
So, by raising money for St David’s, you will be helping to improve the quality of life for hundreds of patients across Anglesey, Gwynedd and Conwy.

What We Do

We provide physical, emotional and spiritual support for the patient, their family and carers, at our Inpatient and Day Care Hospice in Llandudno.St David’s sees somebody as a living person, not a dying patient and we help add life to days, even if days cannot be added to life. We provide palliative or ‘comfort’ care - including pain and symptom control, therapies, counselling and advice to support the patient every step of the way.

St David's Hospice and the people of the community it serves, organise various events throughout the year to raise much needed funds. Events will be posted here for all to see. For further information about Fundraising for St David's Hospice, please contact 01492 873664. www.stdavidshospice.org.uk  

You can also become a fan of St David's Hospice on Facebook & follow us on Twitter!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:55:51 pm by Ian »
St David's Hospice - providing end of life care, free of charge, to adult patients from North West Wales
www.stdavidshospice.org.uk

Offline Virginia

Local Voluntary work? St David's Hospice?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:11:13 pm »
Hi, I am seeking to donate some of my time to a charity project. I have been recommended St David's Hospice charity shop-type work. I have done some charity shop work in Herefore before moving to N. Wales. Does anyone have any views on them, how they treat their volunteers etc? Opinions seem to vary.

Thank you

V
x

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Voluntary work? St David's Hospice?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:17:16 pm »
St Davids is a well respected local charity as is Hope House Tŷ Gobaith childrens hospice on Mostyn St.
Llandudno has many charity outlets all looking for volunteers, and I am sure you will be made very wecome which ever you choose.  ££$

Offline Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:37:31 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I have been informed that Ty Gobiath are a lovely charity, well run and supportive of their volunteers. I won't be supporting St Davids. I have heard from several sources that management just don't know what they are doing. They are so wasteful of money. I will no longer even donate to them as management wastes so much of the donations they are given. They are no longer a worthy cause in my opinion.

So thank you for steering me clear.

V
x

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:51:09 am »
Virginia,
I think you need to take a more balanced view of St Davids, your reaction after so short a time since enquiring seems harsh and uninformed.
St Davids as a hospice does wonderful work, and the palliative care of the patients is first class.
I have heard recent reports that management have been lax in terms of the appropriate allocation of funds and certain behavioural issues have been complained about.
But, isn't it better to challenge that, and change those things, rather than stifle the funding to an incredibly worthwhile organisation?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »
I agree with Festers comments, and I have to admit to being confused over your comment......So thank you for steering me clear.....as I was the only one to reply, I hardly think that I suggested that St Davids was not worthy of support, in fact I said .....well respected.....

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 01:42:22 pm »
My friends and I go to the cafe after we have had a walk on the Great Orme and it's not only to support St David's Hospice, it's because we always have a warm welcome there and the cakes and coffee are good too.     $good$
I can only speak as I have found and some friends I have had, that have spent their final days there have always been well looked after and have been  be treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 02:28:05 pm »
Well said Fester $good$ I'm saddened by your statement Virginia, several of my friends and family have received exceptional day care and end of life care at St Davids and quite frankly I am also appalled by your attitude. As Fester has said if there is a problem it can be dealt with, so if you have a personal issue with anyone may I suggest you contact the Hospice and put in a complaint. St Davids relies heavily on donations and if a lot of other people were encouraged to have your attitude and the much needed donations reduced, where do you think the future patients needing care will go?Lets hope neither you or your friends and family need Hospice care in the future.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 02:42:56 pm »
Virginia.......I sent you a personal message. As I work for one of your 'choices' I didn't feel that I wanted to make my opinion public, not that it was in any way derogatory, but feel that your attitude just isn't right. All charities mess about with money and use it unwisely, having worked for many and varied, they all do it, it doesn't matter who they are, be they large or small.
I agree with Meleri, Hugo, Steve H and Fester's comments.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 06:59:22 am »
Hi, I never said the hospice didn't to wonderful work, I am sure it does. But a work colleague has informed me of certain internal issues. Wastefulness, the lack of support for volunteers, and shop managers who have no policy on anything, who make it up as they go along.These issues were told to me in some detail.

I did try and reply to the private message but as a new member i wasn't able to, sorry

:)

V
x

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 08:23:53 am »
I would really think the best thing would be to form your own opinion. Volunteer there and, if you see things which are obviously very wrong, come back and post about them. That way at least you're not relying on third hand information.  People have many reasons for running down an organisation and those reasons are not always obvious to the listener.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
My point was a different one, because I too have 'heard' of less than ideal practices from certain managers at St Davids.
But how will that ever improve if good people don't challenge it?
The care is great, the admin may be less so,  so improve the admin. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 05:40:44 pm »
The CEO is Mr Trystan Pritchard and I am sure Mr Pritchard will be anxious to address any concerns anyone may have.

His twitter account is #Trystan1 

Offline Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 10:34:55 pm »
Hi again,

I in now way meant to doubt the quality of care at St David's. I am sure it is excellent.

However, I do not wish to undertake voluntary work to 'tilt' at the prevailing power structures in an established structure. Selfish of me, I know, but I just wanted some relaxation for a good cause.

I have heard since about certain things and think that that charity is the last one I'd choose.

I am sure the CEO must be aware of these, and seemingly hasn't addressed them. And if he doesn't know, what does that say?

Offline TheatreCat

Re: Why support St David's Hospice
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
I went into the Llandudno shop recently, and the volunteer helper in the shop was drunk to the point of falling over. And talking loudly using, shall, we say, offensive language within the hearing of children. I shall not be going in there again.

TC