Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 354499 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »
Sorry, but the ones I am refering to were remarks about Llandudno's eyesores..... and related to a previous post on the subject.  ?{}?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »
The practice of making facetious asides or responses to serious questions happens a fair bit, but perhaps we need to moderate the practice a bit.  It can become tiresome when you've asked a question and all that happens is folk post what they consider witty comments. It's human nature to try to make light of things, but perhaps there are places for it, and maybe we shouldn't do it in every topic. 
I agree, the more serious discussions (i.e. all those not in the Members' Lounge section)  need to be kept clear of that sort of stuff. It doesn't encourage anyone new to post, really.  :)

on the other hand it did encourage me, I like some humour, the 'real' worlds full of serious stuff, nice to escape from it, I can though see both points of view!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2010, 05:48:30 pm »
on the other hand it did encourage me, I like some humour, the 'real' worlds full of serious stuff, nice to escape from it, I can though see both points of view!
I'm with Fester and Merddin Emrys, It was the humour and mixed comments that I liked too. If it were all kept serious it wouldn't be the same and I doubt I would comment on half the stuff. Although the comments have been moved to a different section, they mean absolutly nothing and do not relate to any prevous posting in that section and is therefor pointless. Little laughing signs etc make it more like a disscussion and less like a debate.  Trojans pictures and Festers comical postings make this site more interesting.  Someones "neighbour" does not speak for the majority of people posting on this forum and certainly has no bearing on the increasing numbers of people signing up does it? When the only person who's complained is also the same individual who has never posted, why does this same person affect the content of the forum? Sorry but that's what I think, There are a lot of faithful members on this forum who see no problem with content. Angie x
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2010, 06:03:17 pm »
I'm with Fester and Merddin Emrys, It was the humour and mixed comments that I liked too. If it were all kept serious it wouldn't be the same and I doubt I would comment on half the stuff. Although the comments have been moved to a different section, they mean absolutly nothing and do not relate to any prevous posting in that section and is therefor pointless. Little laughing signs etc make it more like a disscussion and less like a debate.  Trojans pictures and Festers comical postings make this site more interesting.  Someones "neighbour" does not speak for the majority of people posting on this forum and certainly has no bearing on the increasing numbers of people signing up does it? When the only person who's complained is also the same individual who has never posted, why does this same person affect the content of the forum? Sorry but that's what I think, There are a lot of faithful members on this forum who see no problem with content. Angie x

That's it in a nutshell $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2010, 12:38:44 am »
Go on Angie... Go on Girl, you tell 'em......   Grrr.    Oooh you do have a lovely turn of phrase!
Merddin, lovely to see you and your DELIGHTFUL Mrs Merddin once again... I do hope you kept your hands firmly in your pockets at the Winter Fayre!

But.... now I fear that Mr Trojan has disappeared, just like his posting!

Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:42 am »
Merddin, lovely to see you and your DELIGHTFUL Mrs Merddin once again... I do hope you kept your hands firmly in your pockets at the Winter Fayre!

Good to see you again too! and you can rest assured not a penny was spent  D) I could'nt believe some of the prices  :o mind you after chatting to a nice gentleman on the NFU stand we walked away with two nice free Parker pens  D)  L0L

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:49 pm »
We are listening to what you're all saying, and I probably need to add a comment or two.
First off, there's no way either Dave ir I want to stop the sides completely.  What we're trying to do - and trying to please everyone in the process - is simply have a forum in whcih there can be both relaxed comments and humorous comments and asides and serious debate.  Even in a serious debate there are bound to be the odd off-the-cuff comments, but what we don't want is for them to dominate a topic in which folk are trying to debate seriously.  That's really the problem;  some folk take a lot of time over composing their posts on some issues, and when the only responses they get are puns and jokes, it can be disheartening.

In a sense ,that why the "arcade" was set up;  in there you can say what you want and joke to your heart's content, because no one is debating any one particular subject.   But those who like to debate and discuss seriously surely deserve the chance to do so.

Finally, Dave and I don't take much notice of third-hand comments from people who've not posted.  If people don't like what they see, then they should join another place. Or join this one and try to change it from within.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:40 am »
AHA!! .. SO..my posts (and Trojans) WERE shifted due to their lack of seriousness..... I KNEW IT !!
...and it was sheer coincidence that the half-hearted complaint was posted the previous day?

Your apology is accepted.

Fest knows best!   L0L L0L L0L 
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:25 am »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2010, 08:14:02 pm »
My neighbours have never heard of Llandudno, Colwyn Bay or Conwy.  _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:39 pm »
How can that be?
Lemmy is your neighbour.... and he was in Llandudno only last week!

Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »
They have heard of Motorhead and also we have Hotpoint washing machines over here.

They were astounded to learn that Lemmy used to work at Hotpoint.

Just been trying to explain that Llandudno Junction isn't in England.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »
Yanks eh?
Yes I correspond with a few friends over there...
I just can't make them understand that WALES isn't in England !!   :o :o :o
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2010, 10:45:52 pm »
just tell them England's that bit stuck on the side of Wales!  $welsh$  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2010, 12:00:38 am »
The response would most likely be....

Is England near London.... ?   Or is Wales like an island or something, off Europe or Afrca maybe?

Fester...