Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 369722 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »
Its a shame your friend feels this way, I think when someone has made a funny comment on whatever board in this forum, putting an icon only in your quote is simply a way of expressing your appreciation of the comedy value of the last post. Nothing wrong with that is there? Everyone on this forum tries not to divert from the subject matter too much but when most of the members are familiar with each other due to posting on the same topic boards is hard to hide our humorous sides, I wasn't aware there was a recent lack of interest, I was under the impression that more members were joining by the day.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Re: FAQs: pop in here if you're wondering how to do anything
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2010, 03:26:48 pm »
Fester:  couple of points.  First, make sure your resolution is set to no higher than 96 dots per inch or 'for screen'.  Secondly, use any image manipulation software you have to get its size down to below 140 Mb. Thirdly, make sure you save it as  jpeg .
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »
That's right.  The numbers continue to grow.  But of course, the real issue is twofold: was this the forum the one he was thinking about (it's amazing how many folk say they don't like what's on the forum. or they thought such-and-such a thing was amusing when they're taking about somewhere else entirely) and the second point - and far more relevant - is why your 'friend' doesn't post in here with his comment. Of course, it's simple to denigrate something when you've nothing positive to say about it and the world is full of the nay sayers and negative thinkers but this place is still in its infancy, and will only become what the members want it to become.  Perhaps instead of dismissing the place, he might make some effort to contribute and make it what he prefers it to be.  Dave and I have put the infrastructure into place, but we can't do more than host the place.  It's up to everyone else to make it work.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Yorkie

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2010, 03:52:25 pm »
 ΒΆΒΆ##

Offline Paddy

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »
CTRL V lifts it from the clipboard.

Just tried it and it seems to have worked! Thanks.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »
It seems it hasn't worked. The quote doesn't appear in a blue box like the others.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2010, 06:11:15 pm »
It seems it hasn't worked.

just quote as normal, then highlight and delete the bits you do not want, just remember to leave the bits in brackets at the start and end and check it in the preview before posting D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2010, 06:16:17 pm »
Yes, you need to have the [ quote ] at the start of the quote and [ /quote ] at the end (but without the spaces inside the brackets).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2010, 06:19:25 pm »
A Forum is only the sum of its Members' contributions, for good or bad.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2010, 06:32:02 pm »
Having thought a little more about what I wrote above, there is one thing I think could be off-putting to potential members, and it's something that Don touched on, albeit in a different situation.  The practice of making facetious asides or responses to serious questions happens a fair bit, but perhaps we need to moderate the practice a bit.  It can become tiresome when you've asked a question and all that happens is folk post what they consider witty comments. It's human nature to try to make light of things, but perhaps there are places for it, and maybe we shouldn't do it in every topic. 

This isn't an edict, BTW;  simply an observation.  What does everyone else think?

Yorkie

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »
As far as I see it - The Forum is an open Forum and apart from really undesireable content anything should be accepted.

However bandwith is not cheap and unneccessary and frivoless usage should be reduced or eliminated.  To this end the Administrators or Moderators should exercise their own control by deleting comments or issuing warnings to persistant offenders and maybe having a short ban on their postings.  This,however, may have a negative effect on Membership with a migration to other Forums.

The Members must be their own Moderators and think what they are posting before they hit the "Post" key.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2010, 07:41:31 pm »
Yes, you need to have the
I still can't get the hang of it

Ahhhhh yes I have, whoopy do, thanks, its never worked before
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:43:07 pm by Pendragon »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Re: FAQs: pop in here if you're wondering how to do anything
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2010, 12:12:55 am »
I said ''Simple'' didn't I?

I shall spend a little time deciphering all this when I get back from Manchester on Weds, (seeing Motorhead AGAIN!!)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2010, 12:34:12 am »
Being the selfish and self-important prig that I am, I think that everyone should take MY points and questions seriously ... and go out of their way to agree with  me.

That said, all members can feel free to ignore (or put smileys such as this  L0L _))*) on the postings of everyone else.

Seriously though its different strokes for different folks surely? ... and the forum IS doing VERY well ... perhaps TELL's friend might find the more political content on OSCAR more to their taste.    Not many  L0L L0L on there !

And yes... I do put the occasional post on there, but its a very different medium to this.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:15:37 am by Fester »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2010, 04:53:22 am »
A Forum is only the sum of its Members' contributions, for good or bad.

It can't be anything else really.  I*