Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 353905 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2010, 07:29:23 am »
A chat room was tried in the old forum, but, as you mentioned, the attraction did wane fairly rapidly. However, with a new merry band of forum members here, there might be some new interest.  X:((

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:54 pm »
A chat room was tried in the old forum, but, as you mentioned, the attraction did wane fairly rapidly. However, with a new merry band of forum members here, there might be some new interest.  X:((
I like the sound of that, I would use instant messaging.  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2010, 03:56:08 pm »
Well, we can investigate what's available, but chat rooms are a poor imitation of a skype conference call.   We'll get back to you, folks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »
I think there is some chat room software for SMF, there's also a classified adverts program that enables users to post proper little ads with photos.

Today, btw, sees another Forum record broken - this time for most posts in one day - we're up to 138 today already, with a few hours to go. 

$3towns$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:14 pm »
Ian, with regard to the privacy of private mails... (well, the word private is obviously a misnoma)
You say that they can be seen, even if inadvertantly by you guys.
Does that apply to PM's which have been deleted?  Or only ones which have been left on file?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:49 am »
If both you and the recipient delete the PM then it won't be on the next database backup but will still be on any previous backups. Safest thing is never to send anything you don't want read by anyone other than your intended recipient via PM.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:21 am »
Fester, it's not entirely a misnomer. They are private, because there's no way anyone else can read them without having access to a database backup - which is limited to Dave and me.  We don't bother searching the database, either; this would only happen if a problem occurred and we needed to scan the database to find where the problem might lie.

Trouble with the electronic age is that storage being so cheap you can safely assume that copies of just about anything you've ever committed to the digital domain will be around somewhere. Except that incredibly important submission you were doing for your boss, just before the power outage that lost the file, of course....

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:17 pm »
Hia, where has the Recommend a local business bit gone please ? :-*

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2010, 07:16:52 pm »
Hia, where has the Recommend a local business bit gone please ? :-*

It's in the Help Wanted section.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2010, 07:19:58 pm »
Trojan your a darlin thanx matey  :-* :-*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Your suggestions are welcome....
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2010, 10:21:37 am »
Folks:

We have a problem, the solution to which which we need to consider.  Some of you will have noticed that we've renamed the 'Less clean jokes" topic, which we did because we felt that some of the jokes were not simply 'less clean', but actually too explicit.  However, this hasn't resolved the issue, for reasons which I'll explain.

The forum is accessible to Google and is also able to be read by non-members. One consequence of that is that RSS feeds can and do pick up the latest postings and display them on any site to which we have been linked. As a forum, this is good for us, as it encourages folk to join. However, when explicit comments from here appear on someone's blog, say, then the effect can be to deter potential members from joining, which is clearly not what we want.

There's also the problem that we can't make the 'Less Clean jokes' topic totally removed from the forum, and another factor is that those of you who have children or grandchildren don't want to have to close down the computer every time they're around. 

While I accept we're all adults in here (AFAIK) I think we might have to consider carefully about the image we want to project. 

What's the general feeling on that?

Yorkie

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2010, 10:50:00 am »
Although I am a male adult of some considerable years and class myself as being "broad minded" ( I'm always thinking of Broads**) I have been quite shocked at recent very explicit contributions.    When I consider that my Wife,  Daughter and other easily shocked people could be reading such trash I am of the opinion it should be cast into the ethernet waste basket, never to be seen again.     L0L

I am not against "rude" jokes or funny stories, having posted a few myself, but a line must be drawn as to what we consider acceptable to those around us, as well as ourselves.

Keep them funny, but also keep them (reasonably) clean!    _))*

** Broads = sailing in Norfolk!    :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2010, 11:07:22 am »
I agree with Yorkie, I am no Spring Chicken and consider myself broadminded, but some of the last few contibutions went a bit far for general publication.
It could easily put less broad minded people off.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2010, 11:11:10 am »
As a temporary measure, whilst we discuss the issue, I have made the 'Games & Jokes' board Members Only, so that Guests and Search Engines will not be able to read the content.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »
That sounds a very sensible idea to me.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.