Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 354029 times)

Yorkie

Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2010, 08:52:22 pm »
Maybe we could all have our own individual Emblem????   WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »
We do, don't we? It's called an Avatar.  D)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 11:16:39 pm »
No doubt like many other users, I look at the adverts that appear on the various thread pages. One that intrigues me is the Groupon coupon system that seems to offer fantastic discounts. Has any member had any experience with this company?

Yorkie

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:51 pm »
If you type the word p a i n without the spaces you get this pain

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 08:11:11 am »
If you type the word p a i n without the spaces you get this $pain$
Fixed!  :)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 08:58:37 am »
Well, if this is your idea of having fun, count me out. Perhaps Ive just picked a bad time to read these posts,

Mike - I've transplanted my response to your comment in the F for A thread so as to avoid interrupting that thread. 

Cyber communities are notoriously prone to personality clashes from time to time.  There're actually very good reasons for this, both psychologically and sociologically. When we deal with other people in the real world, we take with us an armoury of signalling mechanisms and deciphering skills that allow us to determine what other people are really saying and why they're saying it.  In any cyber community, however, we're deprived of most of the mechanisms and cues that allow us either to express ourselves unambiguously, or to comprehend people's motives when they write.  We're left with trying to make sense of what people are saying purely from the page - and that presents all sorts of problems.

It also strikes at the very root of our need for recognition and approval.  Most of all, we all want what we say to be appreciated and valued and most of us want to be held in at least normal esteem.  However, when you're dealing with only a written medium, it's very easy to get the wrong of the stick, and to do so rather easily and it's equally easy for someone to misunderstand what you've written.  Some people, for instance, come over incredibly badly in writing or emailing, but are actually rather decent folk when you meet them. I think we  all have to make allowances - and it's not easy, I grant.  But if anything surprises me, it's that we don't have more of such confrontational issues.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 10:42:43 am »
I don't think you have grabbed Mike's comment correctly.  I think he is refering to the monotonous repetition of words associated with the previous, or starting with the closing letters of the previous.   I did not read his post as anything to do with personallity clashes.

I also find those games somewhat pointless, and their use seems to be a platform for those wishing to increase their "posting total" in very short time with the minimum of mental effort.   )*)&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick, Mike, but it just shows how easy it is to do :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:55 am »
I also find those games somewhat pointless, and their use seems to be a platform for those wishing to increase their "posting total" in very short time with the minimum of mental effort.

I think you're wrong about that. These two games run in other forums, and most of the folk who frequent them are those who don't give two hoots about their postings total.  I think they just enjoy the game.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:17 am »
Surely, if you're not interested in a thread, then you wouldn't read it?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:32 pm »

I think you're wrong about that. These two games run in other forums, and most of the folk who frequent them are those who don't give two hoots about their postings total.  I think they just enjoy the game.

I care half a hoot about my posting total and typing this will increase it by 1 D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »
Mike - I've transplanted my response to your comment in the F for A thread so as to avoid interrupting that thread. 

Cyber communities are notoriously prone to personality clashes from time to time.  There're actually very good reasons for this, both psychologically and sociologically. When we deal with other people in the real world, we take with us an armoury of signalling mechanisms and deciphering skills that allow us to determine what other people are really saying and why they're saying it.  In any cyber community, however, we're deprived of most of the mechanisms and cues that allow us either to express ourselves unambiguously, or to comprehend people's motives when they write.  We're left with trying to make sense of what people are saying purely from the page - and that presents all sorts of problems.

It also strikes at the very root of our need for recognition and approval.  Most of all, we all want what we say to be appreciated and valued and most of us want to be held in at least normal esteem.  However, when you're dealing with only a written medium, it's very easy to get the wrong of the stick, and to do so rather easily and it's equally easy for someone to misunderstand what you've written.  Some people, for instance, come over incredibly badly in writing or emailing, but are actually rather decent folk when you meet them. I think we  all have to make allowances - and it's not easy, I grant.  But if anything surprises me, it's that we don't have more of such confrontational issues.

Ian that has summed it up perfectly, every forum I've ever known has problems, this is one of the most peaceful ones $3towns$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 12:25:27 pm »
I won't quote, as it would make a very long posting, But I agree with Ian's statements, also Dave's. The word games are a pleasing diversion and cannot usually be misinterpreted, Barbiroli and I have always had alot of banter between us, I don't know her, but she seems to have the same sense of humour as myself.
 ;D ;D ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2010, 12:51:24 pm »
Contrary to the impression that people may have possibly come to, I also read, and avidly take part in these "games".   However, that does not prevent me from having my own general opinon as to their usefulness, entertainment value, or otherwise.  I am also pleased that the views of others have also been aired, and a balance of opinion created.    D)   ZXZ   Z**

My Grandpuppy!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2010, 10:26:49 pm »
I won't quote, as it would make a very long posting, But I agree with Ian's statements, also Dave's. The word games are a pleasing diversion and cannot usually be misinterpreted, Barbiroli and I have always had alot of banter between us, I don't know her, but she seems to have the same sense of humour as myself.
 ;D ;D ;D

I have had the great pleasure of meeting both Nemesis and Barbiroli.
I can tell you Nemesis, that you are very similar, in many very positive ways .... and for what its worth I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of either of you!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -