Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 353904 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #1260 on: May 15, 2019, 05:42:29 pm »
I've still got the hard drive which the IT guy brought back this morning but he said that he had tried his best to recover anything on the drive but said that he couldn't get anything.at all.
I've just kept the drive for the moment

Hugo: I'd be happy to take a stab at it.  Drives are odd things, in that for no apparent reason they can suddenly boot up.  But I have some tools which may work for some files.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1261 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:48 pm »
I've still got the hard drive which the IT guy brought back this morning but he said that he had tried his best to recover anything on the drive but said that he couldn't get anything.at all.
I've just kept the drive for the moment

Hugo: I'd be happy to take a stab at it.  Drives are odd things, in that for no apparent reason they can suddenly boot up.  But I have some tools which may work for some files.

That's extremely good of you to offer me that and I really appreciate your kind offer.    I'll send a PM to you

Offline mull

« Reply #1262 on: May 16, 2019, 10:35:50 am »
Hi Hugo,

Sorry you still having pain with your back and hope the medical staff can get it sorted soon. As well as hurting it must be frustrating when you are usually so active.
Pleased your now back on line but sorry to read you have lost everything on your hard drive. It must be a generation thing , we like computers but find it difficult to see why they are so complicated ,back ups, updates, apps etc. Drives me mad.

See Chad in USA has come up with an answer about Doris C Jones. So my mother must have told me about the adoption.
I wonder if he has come up with answers for all 10 of Pierce Jones children. I must have relatives all over Llandudno area.

Get better soon.      Mull

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1263 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:53 am »
Thanks Mull,  I am starting to get more mobile now and the constant pain in my knee is getting me down but the doctor today told me to increase the tablets so I hope that this will quicken the recovery.
I'll be glad when I can get out and about again and catch up on things

I've been watching  ITV  on Tuesday evenings at 8.30 pm  and there is a programme called "Hard to please OAP's" and it is about eight celebrities like Harry Rednapp coping with modern technology.    It's quite funny to watch but sadly I can relate to them because  that's how I am too!

Chad has been busy researching about Doris and I've been following it with interest.   You just need a little bit of luck to join things together and hopefully that will happen.    I've a lot to catch up on but it's going to have to wait a bit before I start again.
What is nice about this forum is that there are a lot of people wanting to help in the research and that is really good

Offline Helig

« Reply #1264 on: May 17, 2019, 10:23:00 am »
Hello Hugo,

I am so sorry to hear you are still suffering physically and from the loss of your data.

Have you tried a steroid injection in your knee? I don't know the cause of the pain you have there but assume it is arthritis. I have this problem and steroid injections can make a great difference. They ease the stiffness and the pain clears up. They last about 4-5 months from my experience.

The NHS is worse up here than in North Wales. They cannot recruit doctors, or consultants in the local hospital. They built a brand new state of the art hospital which hasn't been open long. It is run by agency staff and locums. My GP practice is down to one partner now. Four years ago there were four partners, the senior one left to work in Holywell, Flintshire, just after I moved here.

I seem to recall there are some good computer repair places in Chester. This one has my recommendation:

https://www.computerbuddies.co.uk/

If all else fails it might be worth a call to them.

A friend of mine had the same problem with an old hard drive of his. It died and he lost everything as well. I still hear about the things he misses, old television programmes especially.

I hope body and computer are both better soon.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1265 on: May 17, 2019, 11:23:17 am »
Thanks very much Helig,  I've had an X-ray this week and some blood tests and will be seeing the Dr on Tuesday next so I'll know more then.  He'll be the 5th doctor I've seen and I haven't seen my own doctor yet

The good news is that the pain is getting better and I'm not having too many of those electric shock like spasms like I was having  before.     I hope your problems improve soon Helig as it's so frustrating when you can't do the things that you want to do

As for my old hard drive, Ian very kindly offered to have a stab at it and hopefully will be able to work his magic on it.    I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain but I do appreciate his kind offer to try even if nothing is able to be retrieved from the drive

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1266 on: May 17, 2019, 11:33:12 am »
Sorry to hear the bad news Hugo , but it is quite easy to forget to back your info up ,especially your photos they cannot be replaced ,perhaps members of the forum can figure a way to email your past photos from your walks etc back to you .

I've only just read your posting Robbie so thank you very much for your suggestion.     I can recover all my walking photos anyway as my walks have been posted on here but it's the little things that matter, like I haven't got any photos of my dog for instance although I know that I've posted some on here which I can eventually recover.

At the moment the hard drive is with Ian who will have a crack at recovering things but thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.      I hope that my mistake will help to remind others to back up their computers

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1267 on: June 12, 2019, 12:56:03 pm »
I've had a new hard drive and the IT engineer has set up the system for me but unfortunately the mail and Picasa 3 are in a different format to what I was used to.   I don't like the system as I was so familiar with the other one but I'm getting used to the new one slowly
Yesterday though and I don't know why but Google encrypt was set up and interfered with anything I was doing and I felt like smashing up the new hard drive.
This morning after I had calmed down I removed the Google encrypt and everything seems ok..... so far anyway.        Windows 10 has given me far more trouble that Windows 7 ever did

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1268 on: June 13, 2019, 03:52:41 pm »
I've found Windows 10 to be the worst operating system I've ever used. It constantly updates to do all sorts of things I have no interest in, or I'm not using anyway, because it's trying to be all things to everybody no matter what format you'r using.  ))* 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1269 on: June 13, 2019, 04:16:16 pm »
I thought that it was just me having problems with Windows 10, so in a way I'm pleased to know that I'm not the only one.    Gwynant  has also had problems too but Nemesis did the right thing when her Windows 7 was updated to Windows 10 without her authority, so she changed it back to Windows 7.
After having Google encrypt enforced on me a couple of days ago I was able to get rid of it but today I've got something called Pronto which wouldn't let me get into the Three Towns site, but somehow I've got around that too
It's so annoying and frustrating and as you say when Windows 10 has updates everything seems to go to pot

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1270 on: June 13, 2019, 06:17:34 pm »
Google Chrome, Amazon Prime and all kinds keep trying to invade the system. Luckily I have so far kept them at bay !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1271 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:15 pm »
Good on you Nemesis, well done.         $good$

I'm on Google Chrome, but Google encrypt then Pronto tried to take over and I've got a feeling that Yahoo might try next.  It's driving me crazy!           

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Changing my forum name
« Reply #1272 on: June 28, 2019, 08:14:44 pm »
I need to change my forum name fairly sharpish cos I getting loads and loads of abuse. Could you help me. Just Michael owen would be nice

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Changing my forum name
« Reply #1273 on: June 29, 2019, 08:33:37 am »
Consider it done.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

Re: Changing my forum name
« Reply #1274 on: June 29, 2019, 09:08:45 am »
I need to change my forum name fairly sharpish cos I getting loads and loads of abuse. Could you help me. Just Michael owen would be nice

Sorry to hear this Mike. I did the same many many years ago, for the same reason.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.