Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 354636 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #1245 on: October 05, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
I have been trying to post some photos in Room with a View but I keep getting this message,
"Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator."
Any ideas Ian?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1246 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:29 pm »
Interesting.  What's the format of the image? Jpeg, RAW? I've changed the max file size, so it might be worth trying it again.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1247 on: October 05, 2018, 06:51:52 pm »
I have tried again but got the same message.
They are 3 photos jpg 7MB, 5.7MB and 5MB.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1248 on: October 05, 2018, 07:20:12 pm »
Tried a third time with different photos and gone through this time! Hooray!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1249 on: October 06, 2018, 08:12:48 am »
It was the size.  They're pretty large image files.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1250 on: October 06, 2018, 03:33:42 pm »
I never realised people posted such big files!  My usual web practice is to resize, setting the longest side to 800px and to post (or provide as link) as jpg or png.

I don’t know about the mobile devices but Gimp would do it on most desktop/laptop platforms for those who don’t have or can’t run say a Photoshop.

ImageMagik  can also be useful although I’d need to brush up on it a lot and haven’t used it in ages (and my main usage was some behind the scenes processing on a web server). For a folder of jpgs in landscape, this would convert the whole folder to 800x”height” (it preserves aspect ratio so most of mine would come out 800x530): 

mogrify -resize 800X600 *.jpg.

It can be very effective but (if not as in my example, using copies in a new folder to start with) I’d strongly advise copying some pictures to a folder and testing there, before say deciding you have your answer to producing say your files as thumbnails or say reduced to post in an email, changed to a different format, etc. Otherwise, mistakes are likely to result in original images you want to keep getting overwritten...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1251 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:50 pm »
I've had my laptop fixed but that is the good news for me, the bad news is that I've lost everything that was on it.    The hard drive had gone and nothing was recoverable on it so that's about 10 years of photos and everything else lost just because I failed to back the system up

It's a hard lesson and my own fault, but I hope that everyone backs up their computer because I certainly will in future

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1252 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:45 pm »
Sorry to hear the bad news Hugo , but it is quite easy to forget to back your info up ,especially your photos they cannot be replaced ,perhaps members of the forum can figure a way to email your past photos from your walks etc back to you . 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1253 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:11 pm »
I've had my laptop fixed but that is the good news for me, the bad news is that I've lost everything that was on it.    The hard drive had gone and nothing was recoverable on it so that's about 10 years of photos and everything else lost just because I failed to back the system up

It's a hard lesson and my own fault, but I hope that everyone backs up their computer because I certainly will in future

Hugo: have you still got the failed drive? If so, a lot might yet be recoverable.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1254 on: May 15, 2019, 02:55:37 pm »
Hi Hugo
I'm truly sorry to hear about your back problem, I can empathise there.  I use Google photos nowadays as providing there is WiFi or 3/4 g then I know it's saved
Immediately..that's why I tend to only use my phone to take pics.
My wife swears by Apple(with its cloud)  but I cling on to windows./ Google photos/ an external harddrive.
Hope you start to feel better soon the only advice on that score is to keep moving but gently to start with.
Rhuddlan

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1255 on: May 15, 2019, 03:00:49 pm »
I've still got the hard drive which the IT guy brought back this morning but he said that he had tried his best to recover anything on the drive but said that he couldn't get anything.at all.
I've just kept the drive for the moment

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1256 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:32 pm »
Thanks Rhuddlan,  I know how you have struggled with your back over the years and it's no fun at all.   

As for IT then I'm not competent with it and do it the old fashioned way and I'm normally quite happy with it but know that I'll have to do something to stop this happening again

Just as an aside, my brother lives in Thailand and his computer crashed over there.     He took it into a shop at 9.00am  and collected it at 1.00 pm and was charged the equivalent of £12.00 and everything was restored.

One thing about the photos from our previous walks,  they could always be retrieved from Old Uncle Albert.    Apart from being the joker on our walks he really is the official photographer for our group and has archived all the walks, you'll know what I mean    ;D

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1257 on: May 15, 2019, 03:31:57 pm »
Hugo good to see you back on the Forum, blimey you have had a run of bad luck. Hope something can be done to retrieve your photos, perhaps look for a Hard Disk recovery service in the area. I have also been for Physio to Llandudno Hospital a fortnight ago only to be told after months of waiting they couldn't help, so have been referred on to the CEMAX team & another long wait. However I was advised it would be a lot quicker to go private to the Spire Healthcare Abergele & keep taking the pain killers, which they know I can't take. I have no faith in the Welsh NHS anymore & really hope you receive quicker & better care than I did.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1258 on: May 15, 2019, 03:59:31 pm »
Meleri,  thanks very much for your advise on the hard disc recovery service in the area and it gives me something to think about.

I can understand your frustration with the NHS  as I've seen 4 different doctors in under two weeks and they were all emergency appointments as I couldn't get an appointment with my own doctor.
I was told to phone after 3.00 pm when the new lists of appointments come out and I turned up at the surgery at 2.50 pm and was seen at 3.10 pm and told that there were no appointments left for my own doctor and when I said that they couldn't have all gone in 10 minutes I was advised  that he had only been allocated two slots so I had to make an appointment for next week with a 5th doctor.

I hope that it's not too long before they can sort your problem out as it's no fun being in pain all the time

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1259 on: May 15, 2019, 05:07:20 pm »
Hi Hugo, Sorry to hear you are unwell, all the best for a speedy recovery, and I hope something might turn up for your lost data, I have had some fun recently too  &shake&  we moved house last in April, and BT messed up and cut us off for over a month, and an hour ago my old Windows 7 died, now upgraded to my OH second computer Windows 10, wish me luck, you are the recipient of my first go.