Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 354360 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Your suggestions are welcome....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:59 am »
A kindred spirit  8)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »
Ian / Dave...
I have a query, which when answered may enhance my experience on this new Forum.

The way I like to use this site is to click on either ''new posts since my last visit'' or ''new replies to my posts''

But...tonight, after leaving a few posts on various threads, I was about to sign off as I was getting nothing in the way of responses....then I checked on the Home page, and there was indeed a few replies, posted later than mine.   
I could see them from there if I clicked on them, but...they did not appear when I clicked on the ''new replies to my posts''

Is this because I did not log off?   Do I need to log off and back on for those buttons to work?

:rage: :rage:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:38:17 am »
Nope.  The new replies probably appeared after you'd gone through all the existing ones.  The best way is to return to the top and clock on the 'show unread posts since last visit' link.  That has the effect of re-reading the database to show the most recent posts, including those that appeared after you'd been on for a while ..
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 10:32:26 pm »
I'm not so sure about that Ian,
Because, I do have the habit of clicking on that button ..''unread posts since my last visit''
But when it shows blank, I think its time for me to retire for the evening...HOWEVER....last night, it was blank .....but there was quite a few postings listed at the bottom of the home page which I had never seen,  including replies to MY postings.

I shall keep an eye on this, and report back accordingly.
If I am wrong, I shall let you know, if only for the sake of courtesy.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline jemima

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 11:09:22 pm »
I seem to have the same problems with "show unread posts since last visit".

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 06:43:16 am »
I could not log on last night for some reason, even at one point it was telling me I did'nt exist :rage: :rage: Does anyone else have a problem or is it just me? :'( :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:06:44 am by Ian »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 08:21:21 am »
As long as you know you exist, that's the main thing!  :D I take it all is well now?

All websites have the occasional blip now and again, even the biggest ones like Amazon and Google.  :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 08:31:57 am »
I tend to either look at the 'Show unread posts since last visit' link at top right of screen or just go down to the bottom of the screen where the last 15 posts made are displayed.

It's worth mentioning that 'Show unread posts since last visit' means just that, i.e. 'since last visit'. Say you log in for 5 mins just to see what's going on, click on the link and see 10 unread posts. If you only click on 1 of them to read it and then log out again, the other 9 wont appear on that list the next time you log in, even though you haven't read them. That's happened with me a couple of times. Does that make sense?

Adding to that, I think I'm right in saying that all unread posts are indicated by the little diamond icon with a satellite dish on it to the left of the category names on the main page. Click on the icon and it shows all unread posts in that category, regardless of when you have logged in or out.

Hmmm, not sure I've explained it very well but have a look and see if it makes sense to you.  ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:27 am »
Yes;  the 'last visit' is interpreted by the computer as the last time you actually clicked on the 'show unread posts since last visit' link, so if you close the browser or log off or leave 3T then the next time you return it will only show those posts that are actually 'new' .

FWIW, I never log off and never close down the browser, and don't actually shut down the computer, BTW - Macs simply 'sleep', so I don't have the problem you're experiencing.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 08:41:57 am »
Most likely it was a glitch at the MySql server end.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 08:47:33 am »
As long as you know you exist, that's the main thing!  :D I take it all is well now?

Well I think I exist, but who knows I could be a figment of my own imagination ;D  All is well now though 8)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 10:05:17 am »
I'm still having problems with 'incorrect password' 2nd go at it is fine though.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 11:57:34 am »
We can assign you a new password and send it to you, if the problem persists.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 12:31:18 pm »
Think its a browser problem, tbh.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »
Cache related?