Author Topic: Cymraeg - Welsh language issues  (Read 26434 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Cymraeg - Welsh language issues
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 07:07:05 pm »
I read the Dave's comments as applying to the comments left on the Telegraph article, quite rightly too! I'm sure you and I were not the targets :)

Then it should have been made plain that it was with reference to the Telegraph (which I do not get) - maybe their comment needs a little editting! >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
It's quite plain, Yorkie. I clearly referred to 'Little Englanders', not 'the English'.   Z**

Offline martin

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:48 pm »
I cannot get away from it.  I worked for years in Carlisle where many in the office were Scots, so it was a regular occurrence to have "that" battle which occurred hundreds of years ago in which the Scots had their bottoms busted, brought up.  Now I am in Wales...................................................................HELP!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 12:40:30 am »
The trouble is, for some reason everyone hates the English.

What no-one seems to realise is that the English hate the English for the most part too.

Scousers hate Mancs, Yorkshire folk hate Lancastrians, ... Midlanders hate the Black Country folk ... Geordies hate each other with a passion depending on which river they live near, (Tyne, Tees, Weir etc) ... and all English people hate the Cockneys. (that's really easy to do, to be fair).

I think the English 'muckied their ticket' during the 80's and 90's due to football hooliganism and disgraceful behaviour on Spanish holidays.
But what our foreign detractors fail to undertand is that a good percentage of those behaving that way these days are actually from Cardiff, Glasgow or Swansea.
But no one hates the British, just the English.

When I visit family in Yorkshire, I hate most of them too. Especially those with turbans and long black beards.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:56:06 am »
It's quite plain, Yorkie. I clearly referred to 'Little Englanders', not 'the English'.   Z**

Sorry but I am not aware what Little Englanders are!    Small Englishmen perhaps?
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:59:30 am »
and all English people hate the Cockneys. (that's really easy to do, to be fair).

I love the Cockneys having been brought up amongst them, despite having Yorkshire roots, or further back, Cumbrian and Scots!   But then I'm also half Dutch - generally, just a crazy mixed up homo sapien!     L0L
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:05 am »
Fester, I never realised that your family in Yorkshire includ turban wearers and long black beards mike Only joking but that's what you just said

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 09:20:35 am »

Sorry but I am not aware what Little Englanders are!    Small Englishmen perhaps?
"Little Englander is an epithet applied in criticisms of English people who are regarded as "xenophobic" and/or overly nationalistic and are often accused of being "ignorant" and "boorish". "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Englander

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:28 am »
"Little Englander is an epithet applied in criticisms of English people who are regarded as "xenophobic" and/or overly nationalistic and are often accused of being "ignorant" and "boorish". "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Englander

Ah!  Well now I know, that will rank as the daily advancement in my knowledge of the English language.   From this can one assume that the same epithert can be attatched to every nationality?
 $walesflag$
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:11 am »
It could be...but it's not...  ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Cymraeg - Welsh language issues
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »
I have been looking at many interesting points to come out of the 2011 census results.
Many were entirely predictable.

However, the reduction in the number of people speaking Welsh caught me by surprise.
The physical number and the percentage has fallen in the last decade.  $walesflag$
I expected the oppose to be true.
Article here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20677528
Fester...

Offline dwsi

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:07 pm »
Jac o' the North Blog post: Census 2011: Language

http://jacothenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/census-2011-language.html

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Jac o' the North Blog post: Census 2011: Language

http://jacothenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/census-2011-language.html

Usually, when people post just a link and no summary, I don't click on it.
In this case out of curiosity I did click, and now wish I hadn't.
That was as big a pile of self-indulgent rubbish as I have read in many a long year.
Replete with disjointed arguments and insults aimed at anyone who disagrees.
Thats the problem with blogs in general, they are often just one persons rantings with little in the way of sensible interaction.
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:29 am »
Why is it that when arguments are put forward in support of the Welsh language, whether in Blogs, Demonstrations, Publicity material or speeches they are generally made in English? 
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:15 am »
If you make a statement or speech, you need it to have the maximum effect by being understood by the maximum number of people.
Only approximately 20% of the people in Wales speak Welsh so what is the point of it being only in Welsh.
If you make the point in English it could possibly reach almost all of the population and may have some effect regarding urging people to learn the language.
Or, make it bi-lingually, simple.