Author Topic: Questions about local transport  (Read 13927 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Questions about local transport
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 02:44:09 pm »
The main problem is that there is no competition so they can charge whatever they want,
even the trains are operated by the same group (Arriva)
Valar Morghulis

Offline Weekender

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 03:35:54 pm »
The main problem is that there is no competition so they can charge whatever they want,
even the trains are operated by the same group (Arriva)

And there, I feel, is the crux of the issue.  A near monopoly situation.

Here in Sheffield, a similar journey on the bus would be @£2.  But there is competition.  £3.20 for that CB to Llandudno short journey is extortionate.  I thought the driver was joking! 

In my opinion, a bus should always be a cheaper option than the train (between the same two places), because a train option is superior in virtually every way. More room.  Less stops.  More direct.  No traffic holdups.  Quicker.  Faster.  Pleasanter.  More leg room.  Plus the view from this train (Conwy castle) is lovely.   As long as there is a train to get... in this case there isn't a later one back.  I would rather get a train anyday, for these reasons.  But I would expext it to cost more.... not less!

The train is more costly to implement, and therefore higher fares are charged, generally.  Thats the norm.  Beeching's axe fell all those years ago on this basis.  Costs.  Buses were seen as the cheaper alternative Buses were deregulated as well back in the 1980's.  All things considered, I cannot see how it can be justified for the bus fare to be (much) more expensive than the train, between the same two places.  Unless of course, price fixing is going on (he says, answering his own question....).

Out of interest.  How much is a taxi between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno?  Do I need my heart attack pills handy?

Offline Weekender

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 03:47:39 pm »
There are far more buses per hour and far more bus stops as well.

Furthermore, not all trains go direct from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay and vice versa.

So the answer is to use a bus for that short journey.

It is much cheaper than a taxi.

But.... the bus is still much more expensive than the train.  And that should never be the case IMHO.  In fact I think its absurd.

The train stops at Llandudno Junction and Deganwy so it serves a pretty good area.  Don't think there are any direct ones between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno.

The bus is very expensive.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 04:33:18 pm »
On the basis of those figures, you're quite right.  I suspect there are two issues: Llandudno - Colwyn Bay by train serves two stops and thus two areas. The same journey by bus serves several stops and thus they have a captive market. No idea what the taxi fare is, however.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
I find Taith rover tickets good value.  Valid on both trains and all buses within local authority areas - you can buy as multiples for as many council areas as you want.  They are better value than Arriva buses own rovers as they give more flexibility.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »
You'll just have to get older, live in Wales, and then apply for your Bus Pass. It works for me.  $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)