Author Topic: Questions about local transport  (Read 13881 times)

Offline Jayrea

Questions about local transport
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:37:41 am »
Hello.

I'm going to be staying in Colwyn Bay early next month and wanted to know the price of a return ticket on Arriva Buses from Colwyn Bay to Llandudno/Conwy/Rhyl.  I've looked on the Arriva North Wales website and although it gives info on types of tickets available there isn't any pricing information.  I just wanted to compare prices with the trains to see which mode of transport is cheapest.  Thanks in advance.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Bus fares from Colwyn Bay to Llandudno, Conwy & Rhyl
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15:01 am »
As a guide, I think Colwyn Bay to Llandudno Return is about £3.50, with the 12 bus every 12 mins during the day and the 14,15 every 30 mins. Buses from Colwyn Bay to Conwy (14, 15, 27) are a little less frequent but still ok. Going to Rhyl, the 12 bus will take you straight there and runs every 12 mins during daytime weekdays.

If you're staying for a few days, the Arriva Weekly Pass would be a good idea at £17.

Going from Colwyn Bay to Rhyl, the train is much quicker but a pound or two more.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:20:15 am »
Other options include a £6 Day Saver or a £17 Weekly Saver which seem to provide good value on the buses.

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/multi-journey-saver-tickets-in-wales/

Alternatively, you may wish to consider a North Wales Rover for £8 per day for both bus and train.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/ExploreWales/NorthWalesRover

Offline dwsi

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:40 pm »
have a look at the traveline website, that might help

http://traveline.info/

or Transport Direct

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx

Offline martin

Bus to Chester
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:44:37 am »
Does anyone know of a bus or coach the runs from the Three Towns area to Chester please?  I do not particularly like the drive and with two of us, the train is expensive at around £30, (and that's with one of us using a rail card).   Any ideas would be greatfully received.  $thanx$

Offline Nemesis

Re: Bus to Chester
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:44 am »
Try National Express--- they seem to have a route planner.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:04 am »
Getting a bus from Llandudno to Chester is feasible...but it takes a very long time!

Basically, you get the 12 from Llandudno to Rhyl, then change there for the 11 Rhyl - Chester service. I would imagine the total journey would be close to 3 hours.

Arriva Day Ticket is £6.50.

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=17290

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:59 am »
Martin go to the Info. office at the library you can get tickets for Nat. Express there and if you are a pensioner can get a reduction if you buy a special card - like on the railways.  There is a London bus goes from the coach park on Mostyn Broadway to London and there's also a Liverpool bus both of which go via Chester.  There may well be others.  They will tell you times. I went to London and left here at 9 ish and got to London at 5.45!

Offline martin

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »
DaveR - Thanks for that, it was as I thought, not at all sure a six hour round trip would be all that inviting.  Llechwedd - That sounds promising, with regard to London, we had wanted to visit again, it's years since we were last there.  Thanks all. $thanx$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »
I do not particularly like the drive and with two of us, the train is expensive at around £30, (and that's with one of us using a rail card).   Any ideas would be greatfully received.  $thanx$

Martin, if you have a senior/disabled railcard then Arriva Trains Wales have an Arriva Club 55 Ticket for £16 return online to Chester.

It is available until 24 March 2013.

In fact, for that price, you can even go to Manchester or Cardiff, if you fancy !!

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:34:18 pm »
I've done the Arriva bus to Chester as Dave R descibes - took 3 hrs and went through paces I'd never heard of!!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:41:46 pm »
The train journey to London is now down to about 3 hours (depending on change at Chester if necessary) You can pick up some really cheap fares if you book in advance - have a look at nationalrail website.

Offline Weekender

Re: Questions about local transport
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 01:42:56 pm »
I saw this thread before I and the wife went to North Wales last week. 

We stayed in Colwyn Bay for a night with a view to going into Llandudno.  Usual stuff.  Eat and a few drinks.  But travel?  Ow!

When we did exactly the same, twice before (last year and the year before), we got the train from Colwyn Bay to Llandudno, and back.  This was reasonably priced and trains out were no problem.  But the last one back to Colwyn Bay from Llandudno is at about 9.45PM, and therefore rather early if you are out on the town.  One at 11.00pm would be vastly better and serve many along the north Wales coast IMHO.

So this time we opted for the bus.  The timetable stated the last one back from Llandudno was at about 11.10PM, which is more realistic.  I looked here for guidance on fares.  Perhaps others can read this for totally accurate information.  We got the number 12 from central Colwyn Bay and found the following out from the driver:

Me "two returns to Llandudno please".
Driver "sorry.  We don't do returns"  (!!!!!)
Me "Oh.  Two singles please".
Driver " £3.20 each (!!!!)"
Me "Ow!  Thats a lot".
Driver "a day saver is £7.95"  (Or more than double the single fare).
Me " Its only £4.50 day return on the train" 
Driver "that doesn't surprise me".

I end up getting x4 singles that evening.  Cost me nearly £13. No returns at all. Two returns on the train would have been £9.  I couldn't believe it.  The bus should be cheaper.  Its a relatively short bus ride.  Plus the train is far quicker!

How is that justified?  The bus fare is extortionate from Colwyn Bay to Llandudno.

Others beware.  The fares were not in the timetable.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »
There are far more buses per hour and far more bus stops as well.

Furthermore, not all trains go direct from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay and vice versa.

So the answer is to use a bus for that short journey.

It is much cheaper than a taxi.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 02:24:25 pm »
The bus fares are very high, we drive everywhere much cheaper and nicer! It seems that a large percentage of bus passengers have free passes for various reasons and the others have to pay extra!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas