Author Topic: Lithographs  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Lithographs
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:27 pm »
At first I thought that the top building was on a plateau above where Ardwy Orme is now and that it was taken from the Bodhyfryd Road area but in 1870 a lot of building work had been completed so it can't be there unless they have applied artistic licence to the sketch.
The only other places it could be is Haufre Gardens area or the Pen Y Ffordd Goch area but I'm puzzled too!    ???

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »
Here's another look

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »
Is the wall in the foreground the one that ran along the left-hand side of Upper Mostyn Street?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 06:38:55 pm »
What would the building with the rounded topped windows be?
Can't be the vicarage for St Georges as there is no sign of the church.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:04 pm »
Maybe a farmhouse that was later demolished? You can see what looks like that same stone wall on the left in this Lithograph:

[smg id=498]

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »
The church must be off to the left somewhere. I don't know when the vicarage was built but 7 Tudno Street had an arch through it and the original road up the Orme and was the vicars house. Called Bryn Hyfryd - I think.  There was also an arch between number 2 and 3 quite why  I have no idea.  The road continued across Tudno Street up past Shakespeare Cottage and where the plumber, Shadrach Roberts had his offices, and the Advertiser was first printed - since knocked down and then went in to Old Road behind the big block of flats (now) opposite the tranm shed.  Maybe it was because the farm Bod Hyfryd was where Llywelyn Avenue and Arvon Avenue are now and they didn't want to disturb the fields where ploughing competitions were held?