Author Topic: DaveR's Interesting Properties Thread  (Read 118298 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: DaveR's Interesting Properties Thread
« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2021, 08:45:32 am »
Inside 18th-century former water mill on outskirts of Snowdonia that's up for sale
Melin Isaf has been placed on the market with an asking price of £550,000
DVT may be interested to read this as his ancestor had connections with the mill

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/property/inside-18th-century-former-water-21945746

Offline DVT

« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2021, 09:26:02 am »
Quite correct Hugo ... my great-grandfather John Vaughan was there in 1891 as a Miller.  I suspect it may have been temporary residence as in 1891 his wife Margaret (Williams) was living in Llannefydd which is where John originated.  In 1901 John, Margaret and the children were in Pont Wgan near Rowen ... and Pont Wgan was in the Vaughan family until about ten years ago, the last Vaughan occupant being their grand-daughter Margaret, who never married.  She was a cousin to my father.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2021, 10:45:14 am »
It's still a beautiful building and is set in a steep wooded valley

Offline DVT

« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2021, 04:49:17 pm »
Hugo ...

... scroll down the gallery of pics to the one of the kitchen - clearly written on the woodwork is the name "John Vaughan Miller and a date" along with the inmitials "JV".  I cannot quite make out the date, but I know he was there in 1891.

... Widower John Vaughan (born 1848) of Llanefydd married Margaret Williams of Llanrwst in 1883, then in 1901 they were at Pontwgan and had three children, the eldest being Alice Louisa Vaughan (born 1884) - my grandmother who I never knew as she died on New Year's Day 1933, when my father was only 12 years old.  I do have some photos of her, I also have a newspaper report which gives her as the winner of the women's cycle race at the Conway Valley Show held in Caerhun in the 1890's!

Great find, that sale notice!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2021, 05:20:20 pm »
I took this photo  but can't make out the date.     You'll have to go there and have a look   ;D
It's a nice conversion though

Offline Hugo

« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2021, 05:39:03 pm »
Sale agreed on 'unbelievably' priced beach hut on North Wales coast
The wooden shack on Abersoch beach went on the market with a £175,000 price tag

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sale-agreed-unbelievably-priced-beach-21966216

Offline DVT

« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2021, 07:10:25 pm »
Quote from: Hugo
I took this photo  but can't make out the date.     You'll have to go there and have a look   ;D
It's a nice conversion though

On the estate agent website there are a lot more photos, one shows the inscription from the other side of the room and I reckon the date is 25 Oct 1899 ... I want to find out the significance, is it the date he left (he was in Pontwgan in 1901) - also hope to find out the date he moved there so wonder if the deeds show up anything - I'm not trying to claim it passed down to me (!) - the Vaughan dynasty has all died out, but I have it as my middle name!  Will contact the agents.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2021, 10:50:04 pm »
A bit further south but it's nice to see this woodland retreat hidden away in a tree covered Welsh hillside
The timber-clad Swn Yr Gwy in Powys is at one with its idyllic surroundings

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/woodland-retreat-hidden-away-tree-22095042

Offline Hugo

« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2021, 10:41:46 pm »
I'm a Celebrity 2021: Inside Cefn Castell - the seafront house where camp mates met last night.    We went past this place on a walk a few years ago.    It's near a cliff edge and just outside of Criccieth, one lovely feature of this place is the stone wall around the house.  It's quite high for privacy but we still managed to see over it and I posted some photos on here at the time

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/im-celebrity-2021-inside-cefn-22233502

Offline Hugo

« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2022, 02:46:16 pm »
North Wales' most expensive property goes on sale in Abersoch for £3m
Construction of the state-of-the-art house was completed earlier this year and it's now looking for an owner who can meet its eye-watering asking price
It's a coincidence coming on the market now just after North Wales' most expensive beach hut was on offer for £200K just last week.
Will the locals be bidding for the hut or the house I wonder?     &shake&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-most-expensive-property-23481676

Offline Helig

« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2022, 09:56:49 am »
I thought this might be of interest to Forum users in view of the connections with North Wales. Telford Manor House in Beattock, just outside Moffat, is up for sale. It was built in 1822 by Thomas Telford who lived there for a time. It has been used as a holiday let for a while now. Close by the house there is a burn running and a bridge was constructed over it by Telford who has put an inscription on the wall of the bridge. I will have to look at the date next time I pass by there as I cannot recall it offhand.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118290992#/?channel=RES_BUY

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/homes-and-gardens/this-impressive-11-bedroom-detached-house-can-sleep-up-to-26-guests-and-was-built-by-legendary-engineer-thomas-telford-3520520

Offline Hugo

« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2022, 12:53:11 pm »
Thanks Helig for posting the links  Telford has certainly left a very impressive legacy in the UK.

That house would be far too big for me but I know someone who could add it to his property portfolio      ;D

In the second link there is a lovely wooden chalet type building and it mentions Colwyn Bay and that's more my type of property

Offline Helig

« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2022, 11:07:37 am »
I passed by the bridge close to Telford Manor yesterday. The inscription reads it was built by Telford in 1817.

Like You, Hugo, I wouldn't want to take on anywhere so big. The bills would be enormous and I would dread all that cleaning.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2022, 11:54:59 am »
How about this one Helig,  Glynllifon on the Llyn Peninsuls.    It must be a cleaner's nightmare.

Tellytubby visited there recently and said that the place is closed and looking sad

Offline Helig

« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2022, 10:07:16 am »
Thank you for that, Hugo. I think this was intended to have an army of servants to keep in in good condition. It featured on Salvage Hunters recently. They went in to see what was worth having after it closed as an hotel and wedding venue. It looked very grand but isn't likely to stay that way if it is left empty and uncared for. It will need someone with plenty of money to take it on by the look of it.