Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 103746 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #450 on: August 19, 2020, 06:40:12 pm »
This morning we decided to have a drive to Betwys, not having been anywhere for weeks. Chaos doesn't describe what it was like. Cars parked everywhere, so we decided to drive to the car park after the Swallow Falls. Mistake... more cars all over the place, no bins so litter including used barbecues all over the parking places. We managed to find a small pull in to eat our picnic only to be blocked in by a young woman with 2 kiddies. As it was getting like Paddy's market with cars, campers and other vehicles, we decided to move on. We did eventually get out after my OH asking her to move her car which she unwillingly did. By this time Betwys was even busier, so we gave in and came home !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #451 on: August 20, 2020, 10:30:14 am »
Nem, between that and your shopping experience, not the best of days,  :(  enjoy your rose, and hopefully the goats missed you last night, unlike us  :(

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #452 on: August 20, 2020, 01:33:38 pm »
Oh heck, we thought that they had gone back up the Orme. Hope you didn't lose too many plants. The rose ha settled nicely thanks....in a pot indoors !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #453 on: August 20, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »
I'm keeping away from those beauty spots for the same reason Nemesis, far too many cars and people about.

I'm in Llandudno tomorrow and I've a feeling that there won't be flocks of people by the West Shore boating lake but I don't think that I'll be tempted to go there for some reason.        *tumble*

Offline SteveH

« Reply #454 on: August 20, 2020, 04:14:30 pm »
Oh heck, we thought that they had gone back up the Orme. Hope you didn't lose too many plants. The rose ha settled nicely thanks....in a pot indoors !

Sorry Nem, they have not gone back, and I don't think this group will, they are to set in their ways now, also they spend a lot of time in the convent grounds, although someone has started chasing them out, guess where to  :'(   only hope is they pick up the group meant for Bristol soon ?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #455 on: August 20, 2020, 07:05:42 pm »
I'm keeping away from those beauty spots for the same reason Nemesis, far too many cars and people about.

I'm in Llandudno tomorrow and I've a feeling that there won't be flocks of people by the West Shore boating lake but I don't think that I'll be tempted to go there for some reason.        *tumble*

Don't count on it Hugo, when we drove past the other day the whole area was heaving !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #456 on: August 21, 2020, 11:34:00 am »
It was quiet when I went past the boating lake earlier this morning and surprisingly it was calm too but judging from the West Shore web cam the wind has picked up a bit now.
I did notice a lot of standing water by St David's Hospice but perhaps the drains are blocked with all that sand that now goes down Abbey Road

Offline SteveH

« Reply #457 on: September 22, 2020, 09:54:18 am »
The Rotarians joined the regular group of 30 to 40 volunteers in Llandudno, Conwy, on their beach clean up on Saturday, September 19 which was also World Cleanup Day.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2020, 09:56:11 am »
Residents of a North Wales town will soon take part in a pilot for a new digital method of tracking recycling, helping Wales on its route to a zero-waste, circular economy.

The Welsh Government is joining Polytag Ltd, Conwy County Borough Council and WRAP to trial a new deposit return scheme (DRS) in Colwyn Heights, Conwy.

The four-week trial – the first of its kind in Wales – will involve a number of homes in the area, and is due to start in the spring.

https://www.wales247.co.uk/conwy-to-trial-deposit-return-scheme-for-plastic-bottles/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #459 on: January 01, 2021, 10:42:11 am »
Talk on FB about the difficulty in disposing of Xmas tree's, even if you have a brown bin, they may say it is to big, and you will have to cut it up to fit in your bin ?     

Top tips on how to get rid of your real Christmas tree
Now that the festive season is drawing to a close many are looking forward to packing the decorations

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/top-tips-how-rid-your-19545276

Offline SteveH

« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2021, 12:40:34 pm »
No use complaining if we do not make the effort................

OPEN CONSULTATION
Reducing emissions from domestic burning of solid fuels

We want your views on our proposals to ensure only the cleanest forms of solid fuels and appliances are used in Wales.

How to respond.....  https://gov.wales/reducing-emissions-domestic-burning-solid-fuels?fbclid=IwAR2qlon_1rz6y90IZ7aq-egrmMko6Sd20DopcBUDUmhl6xhGcAFzPiL8xdo

The main survey is a bit long winded,  the easy survey is here   https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/78X5NF/

Offline SteveH

Re: Recycling across the area......For Kids and big adults
« Reply #461 on: January 25, 2021, 01:29:12 pm »
I was surprised to find out this is a common practice throughout the country  :o

CONWY County Borough Council are asking the public for help in naming their fleet of gritters.

The council has 13 gritter trucks which are on standby 24/7 between October and April to spread rock salt and plough snow. The trucks are deployed on first priority routes which cover a third of the county’s roads, including main traffic and bus routes and routes for the emergency services.

A judging panel, including winter works staff, will shortlist the entries with the final names being decided by a public website vote.

Cllr Greg Robbins, cabinet member for Environment and Transportation said: "I’m looking forward to seeing the creative entries from our residents and we hope this provides a bit of fun in these difficult times.

"But the serious message behind this competition is to raise awareness of how important it is for everyone to be prepared for winter conditions, and to recognise the work that our staff do in keeping the roads safe.”

The gritter names will be added to the council’s new tracking system, which will allow residents to see gritter locations in real time, via the council’s website.

Residents can suggest names on the council’s website before Wednesday, February 3.

The entries should be in Welsh or English and be fun, original and clean.

Visit www.conwy.gov.uk/nameourgritters     or check Conwy council web site

I have pinched mine  :-[      GRITTY GRITTY BANG BANG

Offline SteveH

Re: Recycling across the area......For Kids and big adults
« Reply #462 on: February 16, 2021, 10:10:43 am »
Update on the above
The 50 names shortlisted for North Wales council's gritter fleet - and some are hilarious
Some allude to the Covid crisis, other play on Welsh words and quite a few have celebrity references
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/50-names-shortlisted-north-wales-19845438

Auntie Freeze
True Gritter
Super Spreader
Tafod y Ddraig
Pretty Gritty
Lorrius the Grittorious
Ice Ice Baby
Gertrude the Gritter
Freezy Rider
Dragons Breath
Daw Eto Haul
Grit British Flake Off
Caledfwlch y Cliriwr
IC/DaiC
Lady Gritter Sparkles
Margrit
Rhewi Sant
Sir Gritalot
Rocky
Sally Salt
Granny Graenog
Eazy Peazy Anti Freezy
Snowcial Distancing
Hal N
Danny Degritter
Glyndwr Graeanu
I am Griit
Snow Donia
The Greatest Snow Van
Rhodri Rhewi
Dave
Huw Halen Lon
Gritasaurus
Tom y Toddwr
Professor Chris Whitty Gritty
Van Halen
Saltan of Swing
Miserable Ol’ Grit
Chilly Billy
Frost Fighters
I’m a Celeb-gritty
Newville Snowfall
Llywelyn y Rhew Ola
Grit Over It
Big Mean Grit Machine
Keith Gritchards
The Dehydrator
Optimus Grit
The Grit Escape
Jack De-Frost

Offline SteveH

« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2021, 12:02:58 pm »
I know you have all been waiting for the results with baited breath............................................  ;)

CONWY County Borough Council’s gritters will be taking to the roads with new names chosen by residents.

Members of the public suggested more than 450 names in January via the council’s website and social media and more than 1,400 residents voted on the final shortlist.    cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19138333.gritters-take-roads-conwy-names-chosen-residents/

Auntie Freeze
Gritasaurus
Sir Gritalot
Miserable Ol’ Grit
Snow Donia
Professor Chris Whitty Gritty
Eazy Peazy Anti Freezy
Jack De-Frost
Dave
Van Halen
Snowcial Distancing
Freezy Rider
I’m A Celebgritty

Offline SteveH

« Reply #464 on: June 18, 2021, 10:13:20 am »
CONWY residents made the most of recycling collections in the last year to make sure their lockdown clear outs had a positive effect.

Between June 2020 and March 2021, Conwy residents saved more than 100 tonnes of clothing from landfill and incineration by using the Conwy County Borough Council's home recycling collections. It’s an increase of 21 tonnes on the previous year, the equivalent of 42,000 pairs of jeans.

Charity Crest Cooperative has been working with Conwy County Borough Council for 20 years to improve recycling rates and give unwanted items a new home.

Residents can recycle clothing every fortnight in purple bags as part of the Council’s kerbside recycling collections. On average, the charity is able to reuse 93 per cent and recycle seven per cent , with nothing going to landfill.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/colwyn_bay/19373720.conwy-residents-lockdown-clear-outs-positive-benefits/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Colwyn Heights residents to scan recycling as part of first-in-Wales pilot scheme

THE recycling habits of residents in Conwy are will be tracked as part of a pilot scheme to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.

The four-week trial, which is the first of its kind in Wales, involves households in the Colwyn Heights area that can earn rewards for their local school by scanning their recycling.

Conwy County Borough Council is working with the Welsh Government, tag and trace firm Polytag and sustainability organisation WRAP to trial the new deposit return scheme.

Residents will be visited by recruiters and those who agree to sign up, will be given a set of plastic water bottles with the Polytag unique codes. Once they have used the bottles, they will be scanned using a free app before putting them out for recycling as usual.

The bottles will then be scanned by the local authority's household waste recycling team on collection day.

For each bottle scanned at either end of the deposit return process, householders will receive a digital token worth 20p. The tokens will then be donated to raise funds for Ysgol Pen y Bryn.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19379394.colwyn-heights-residents-scan-recycling-part-first-in-wales-pilot-scheme/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589