Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 103565 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2019, 04:34:28 pm »
We have all seen the aftermath of fly tipping, now enjoy this........    _))*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHk7lta_OBo

Offline SteveH

« Reply #271 on: December 15, 2019, 11:37:17 am »
Reading this article on Xmas recycling, glitters and foils etc, I noticed the piece of advice below, which clears up a point, I have never been sure of.

Glass bottles and jars
Do: Swill glass bottles and jars and put them in the recycling.
Don't: Take their lids off, the lids help them to be easily sorted and recycled separately.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/rules-recycling-christmas-cards-wrapping-17414483

Offline SteveH

Re: Recycling across the area ........... New Garden waste collection cost
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2019, 10:17:59 am »
Bryson Recycling   https://www.brysonrecycling.org/ (I believe a Northern Ireland based company,) has been awarded the contract to deliver a new garden waste collection service to households in Conwy.

The social enterprise has been awarded a five-year contract, with an option for five more years, with Conwy County Borough Council to provide households with a fortnightly collection of garden waste direct from their homes.

The new subscription garden waste collection service begins from March 30, 2020. The service costs £35 for 12 months – just £1.35 per collection.

The service will be launched in the New Year with local residents being invited up sign up for the new service from January 6 at www.brysonrecycling.org/gardenwaste

Vincent Thomas, General Manager Bryson Recycling, said: “We are delighted to have won this contract. We already run two Recycling Centres in Conwy on behalf of the council and look forward working with them on this new contract which will help residents recycle and also help the local environment”.

Cllr Greg Robbins, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transportation, said: “We’re looking forward to working with Bryson on this new service. We know that residents value having their garden waste collected and we’re pleased we can continue this at a reasonable cost for those who want it.”     REF Pioneer

Bins    Collection Cost   Delivery Cost   Total Cost
1     £35                 Free               £35
2     £55                       £20              £75
3     £75                     £20              £95
4     £95                  £20                 £115

Offline SteveH

Re: Recycling across the area................ Xmas bin collection
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:30 am »
There will be no waste and recycling collection on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's day.

Collections on Monday, December 30, and Tuesday, December 31 will remain the same.

If your normal collection day is Wednesday, your New Year collection day will be Thursday, January 2.

If your normal collection day is Thursday, your Christmas collection date will be Friday, December 27, and your New Year collection day will be Friday, January 3.

If your normal collection day is Friday, your Christmas collection date will be Saturday, December 28, and your New Year collection day will be Saturday, January 4.

There will be no garden waste, electricals or textiles collections between Saturday, December 20, and Friday, January 3, and collection days will return to normal the week beginning January 6, 2020.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2019, 11:12:10 am »
While recycling rates have improved since controversial bin changes were brought in, the number of black bags being dumped illegally has almost quadrupled.

In 2015-16, before a trial of monthly bin collections was brought in, 129 black bin bags were fly-tipped, the following year this had increased to 282.
And by the end of March 2019, when the pilot was rolled out across the whole county, the figure stood at 416.

The county has been judged one of the cleanest places to live in Wales, and recorded its highest street cleanliness rating in 10 years, last year.

But one resident said, since the changes, people had been dumping bags in public litter bins and on industrial estates. Others said charges at tips had let to an increase in fly-tipping.
Another resident said she had her locks broken on her bins twice by fly-tippers and had to pay a private contractor to take the waste away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50816078

Soon there will be the garden waste collection charges, https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-garden-waste-collections-17478979  which I assume will only increase the problem ?  another thought, as we are paying for the bins, are we responsible for replacement costs, if they go missing ! ! (I can see the furtive fella in the pub, hey mate wanna buy a cheap bin )

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2019, 11:48:05 am »
The obscenity of all this is that it's because Conwy suffers from a funding shortfall. Time for the WA to look at the figures.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:41 pm »
I am no accountant, and certain not an employee of CCBC, but my calculations suggest that this could well lead to them asking for even more money when they work out our Council Tax for 2021.

The charge for a garden waste bin is going to be £35 per annum.

For that you get a new 240 litre bin which costs £39.60 (source of prices www.wheeliebins.co.uk) so CCBC are £4.60 per applicant out of pocket straight away.

They also offer extra bins at £20 each, so that's another £19.60 cost to the Council for each extra bin ordered.

Then there is the printing of the leaflets we've already had, and the cost of processing applications.

Ongoing, there will be costs involved to employ the people to empty them (contracted out - Bryson Recycling).

At the end of the first year I wonder just how much they will have saved - I reckon it will be quite a large amount but preceded by a minus sign.

As I said, I am no accountant but I can do simple sums!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #277 on: December 28, 2019, 03:12:26 pm »
Some time ago (2014 ?) the council gave details of monies received from recycling, I was very impressed, so much for each type, paper, plastic etc, and a very large saving in land fill costs, but it has not been brought up since, so I trust this has been taken into account when accepting the tender from Bryson Recycling.       _))*      :'(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2020, 10:17:56 am »
We can't do right for doing wrong.............   &shake&

Consumer pressure to end plastic packaging in shops could actually be harming the environment, a report says.

Firms are swapping to other packaging materials which are potentially even worse for the environment, the cross-party Parliamentary group warns.
Glass bottles, for instance, are much heavier than plastic so are far more polluting to transport.

Paper bags tend to have higher carbon emissions than plastic bags – and are more difficult to re-use.
The change in packaging materials has been prompted by concern from shoppers about the impact of plastic waste in the oceans.

But the report’s authors say the consequences of using new materials has not been properly assessed.
Cont.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51040155

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2020, 10:37:18 am »
Perhaps we are supposed to just put everything in our pockets...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2020, 10:54:37 am »
I think that's called shop lifting................   ;)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2020, 11:48:26 am »
 _))* _))* _))*

Offline SteveH

Re: New dog control crackdowns
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2020, 10:15:46 am »
Full list of places to be hit with new dog control crackdowns - including bans
The raft of dog control measures are currently being discussed by council chiefs,
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dog-control-orders-conwy-beaches-17704331

Offline SteveH

« Reply #283 on: March 12, 2020, 12:02:15 pm »
I think it will have been obvious, that I am keen on recycling, well this morning I feel very guilty, ( considering it is the Great British Spring Clean starting on the 20th March ),  putting out the recycling bins last night, I thought I would take a bungee, and secure the trolley to our gate, while doing this the wind took the top box off the trolley, with luck I caught it before it opened, unfortunately the wind suctioned the plastics from the second box, I dropped the paper box to deal with the plastics, to late it emptied, I turned to find the paper box lid had opened, and that had emptied too, this morning I watched a similar situation, when the men tried to take a neighbours trolley, both emptied into the street, so my apologies to the local area, a bit of a farce, but it does show there is to much packaging anyway.   :-[   :-[ 

https://www.keepbritaintidy.org/get-involved/support-our-campaigns/great-british-spring-clean?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu6fzBRC6ARIsAJUwa2QAGDnmYcP4AN14AYKDljkUV0PqxLnwtvQpNboGb6AG4o6k-u8_OC0aAhaHEALw_wcB

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: March 12, 2020, 12:16:38 pm »
This wind's a bit of a nightmare, isn't it?