Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100627 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:48 am »
I'm all for recycling myself, but the problem is where to store all these bags and boxes? If you do line them up outside your house there will be a problem with rats and bloody seagulls and storing them in the house is not an option,  on a lighter note my Hubby says the plastic carrier box "would make a good picnic carrier" lol can you imagine turning up at Happy Valley and unpacking that?..................bless, he does make me laugh.  _))*
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:28 pm »
I am 100% in favour of recycling but I think we are tackling the problem at the wrong end. Surely we should be aiming to produce goods where less recycling is needed. Our household always takes reusable bags to the supermarket but it's a bit pointless when you look at the conveyor belt and realise most things are packed in plastic.Why are some products packaged in recyclable plastic and others not ? Those plastic trays in black plastic that are not suitable for example.
Why does fast food come with so much polystyrene and plastic (which also adds to our litter problem) ? What's wrong with paper and cardboard.
What's wrong with deposits on bottles ?
I was recently at a Tesco Extra store that has a recycling machine where they give you one clubcard point for every drinks can you return... but nothing for bottles.

Currently the amount of energy wasted in recycling is anything but "green" in my opinion !

I agree 100% Why melt down bottles and then remake them into bottles it's barking, bring back the deposits on bottles!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 12:34:07 pm »
I'm all for recycling myself, but the problem is where to store all these bags and boxes? If you do line them up outside your house there will be a problem with rats and bloody seagulls and storing them in the house is not an option,  on a lighter note my Hubby says the plastic carrier box "would make a good picnic carrier" lol can you imagine turning up at Happy Valley and unpacking that?..................bless, he does make me laugh.  _))*

Well our boxes and bags will be left outside and to hell with what happens to them!  Certainly not going to get houseroom.     :laugh:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 01:24:09 pm »
we as children were recycling 50 plus years ago,we started at night going around the building sites picking up the pop bottles,stowing them away till the following afternoon and then taking them to graham walkers on the council estate.we also went into the dump and dragged old bikes prams cookers to billy Simpson,there was allways a way of getting a bob or two if you were willing to work at it.i built my first bike from scrap,i learnt how to fix brakes change tyres fix punctures.then i got interested in radio and found out that the valve that had blown in one radio could be found in another radio and fitted it ,power up lights on radio luxembourg here i go.then i found a radio with short wave,got it working with a piece of wire to the outside metal gutter and one to a long piece of copper tube into the ground and i was listening to voice of america broadcasting to troops in germany.the fight of the week was a favourite from america, how different now the grandchildrens toys that cost a fortune at christmas are now getting skipped now,the washing machines seem to last only a few months longer than the guarantee, the estate where i live is littered with big old toshiba TVs s thrown out in favour of the new slimline  models,but am i fault ,i used to change the elements in kettles  toasters cookers  and such but the wife tells me a new kettle in asda is only £9, are things worth fixing? i can t get the idea of things being repaired  instead of thrownout  out of my mind.but if i could have one wish it would be that there should be a charge of at least a charge of 50% extra on bottled beer,refunded on return even if it only stopped youngsters from smashing them on the pavements of our estate and being a hazard to pets and children

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:05 pm »
I know exactly what you mean Dwyforite, my Dad had a chemists shop and sold soda water in returnable syphons, pop in returnable bottles and if you needed something for an invalid you hired it. We rented out bed-pans, bottles, bed rests, pneumonia jackets etc, etc and people wouldn't have dreamed of buying things new. The pop and syphons were in wooden crates with compartments and you had to return the pop bottles complete with stopper, or you didn't get your money back. It was a great find if you came across anything like that, as you could make a fair profit to spend on sweets ! ;D
Imagine health and safety these days with the hire of equipment like that-- they'd have a chicken fit !! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:30 pm »
Hi Fester You just empty the food into the food box provided, wash the container and put that into the big white bag provided Easy peasy  :rage:

Not doing that !!  It stinks !
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 11:50:51 am »
Hi Fester You just empty the food into the food box provided, wash the container and put that into the big white bag provided Easy peasy  :rage:

Agreed--- we'll all have an epidemic of something 'orrible
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »

That's no way to talk of your wife's cooking Fester.  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »
Anyway, I'm so pleased that all those YES voters in the referendum are getting full value for money now...

So, if we have a Heart Attack or Stroke we can travel 30  miles or more... or die on the way...
Roads are in a pitiful condition, ...(I could reel off quite a long list here)

But just as long as our packaging is all sorted into the right coloured bins, all is well !
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 08:48:54 pm »
Its bin day tomorrow and looking down the road in Penrhyn Bay, no one seems quite sure what to put out! Some have all the bags and bins out just in case!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »
you can find your bin and recycling days here

http://bit.ly/kTd9xc

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »
Ah yes I looked at that, for this street it just says 'refuse'. it's the new system of recycling that is causing confusion here, some think it starts this week and some next week?

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »
The new weekly recycling system is being rolled out this week.

Due to the excessive amount of recycling materials such as cardboard and plastics being put out in the first week, extra collections have been put on to cope. This means that you may have separate vehicles collecting recycling materials and at different times during the day. This has been one of the advantages of the phased roll-out; to understand how residents have used the system. The extra collections will be in operation for the 1st week and may be next week. Once residents have disposed of their stock piles then the normal service will mean that the new vehicles will collect the recycling materials each week.

In addition to the WEEKLY collection of Food, Paper, Tin, Glass, Plastic; there will be a separate collection of Refuse Wheely Bins or Garden Waste/Textiles on alternate weeks.

So the Calenders just show whether it is a Refuse week or a Garden Waste/Textile week.

Early indications are very positive in terms of the amount of recyclable material collected, but it may take several weeks for most people to get used to the new system.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:16 am »
The Seagulls or urban fox has already learned how to open the flimsy lid on the food recycling box!    And by the look of it has also had a peek inside the other receptacles!    Unless, of course, we have nosey neighbours!     L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:09 am »
Yorkie, if you position the handle properly then the lid of the food recepticle will be fastened down.