Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 103799 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #285 on: March 12, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »
The same thing has happened to me in the past so when it's windy I tend to put it out in the morning and set my alarm clock accordingly

Last week I did the same and although the alarm clock went off I got up and forgot all about the binmen    So Friday morning was spend taking everything down to the tip       :-[

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2020, 10:51:20 am »
Welsh Water warns of blockages from toilet paper alternatives during Coronavirus outbreak

TOILET paper alternatives could become "hugely damaging"if not handled properly according to new warnings.

The water provider has urged its customers not to flush wet wipes or kitchen roll down their toilets if they are affected by a toilet paper shortage during the Covid-19 outbreak.
The company made the warning amid reports of shortages of toilet paper in shops, which may lead to higher sales of non-flushable alternatives, like wet wipes or kitchen roll.

“Throwing these items away in the bin instead of flushing them will reduce the number of blockages and the risk of flooding to homes, businesses and the environment during what is likely to be a difficult time for many people.

“It’s too early to say what impact the outbreak has had on our sewers but, as always, we’d urge everyone to only flush the '3Ps '– pee, poo and paper – to help avoid problems.”

Wet wipes are the major cause of sewer blockages in the UK – with wipes found in an estimated 93 percent of blockages - about 28,000 - every year.

Wipes, along with other items like nappies and sanitary products, don’t break down in pipes like toilet paper and can combine with fats, oils and grease to create blockages which are difficult to clear and can cause raw sewage to build up and flood homes, businesses and the environment.

The blockages cost the company £7 million to tackle, and amount to around 2,000 incidents every month.   ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #287 on: March 24, 2020, 02:43:28 pm »
I ordered a brown garden waste bin from Bryson Recycling sometime in February and it was promised to be delivered to me by the end of February and I paid the £35.00 by card over the phone
Needless to say it hasn't arrived.     I have now got 7 bags full of garden waste waiting for collection but realised that one bin was not enough for my needs so I decided to buy a second one at £20.00 extra

Yesterday I phoned the company and requested a second bin and pointed out that I had still not received the first bin.    I asked them if the two bins could be delivered together and the person said no so I agreed to buy the second one and understood that the two bins would come separately.     

Anyway he said that will be £20.00 for the bin and another £20.00 for the delivery!     So I said that I'm not paying for delivery as it doesn't state that in the leaflet so can I pick the bin up in my car.       The person replied no and gave the excuse that it was because there was a microchip in the bin but didn't clarify how that would stop me from picking up the bin. So I decided not to go ahead with buying the second bin

Anyway today I thought about it and was prepared to eat humble pie but despite phoning up numerous times I couldn't get through so in the end I've e-mailed the company and now await their reply

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #288 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:25 pm »
That's outrageous.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #289 on: March 24, 2020, 03:33:20 pm »
Still waiting for our brown bin too.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #290 on: March 24, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »
Bryson Recycling   https://www.brysonrecycling.org/ (I believe a Northern Ireland based company,) has been awarded the contract to deliver a new garden waste collection service to households in Conwy.

The social enterprise has been awarded a five-year contract, with an option for five more years, with Conwy County Borough Council to provide households with a fortnightly collection of garden waste direct from their homes.

The new subscription garden waste collection service begins from March 30, 2020. The service costs £35 for 12 months – just £1.35 per collection.

The service will be launched in the New Year with local residents being invited up sign up for the new service from January 6 at www.brysonrecycling.org/gardenwaste

Vincent Thomas, General Manager Bryson Recycling, said: “We are delighted to have won this contract. We already run two Recycling Centres in Conwy on behalf of the council and look forward working with them on this new contract which will help residents recycle and also help the local environment”.

Cllr Greg Robbins, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transportation, said: “We’re looking forward to working with Bryson on this new service. We know that residents value having their garden waste collected and we’re pleased we can continue this at a reasonable cost for those who want it.”     REF Pioneer

Bins    Collection Cost   Delivery Cost   Total Cost
1     £35                 Free               £35
2     £55                       £20              £75
3     £75                     £20              £95
4     £95                  £20                 £115

Hugo, It does seem unfair especially as you have not received the first bin, also as I understand it, you will be paying £20 for the second bin, delivery charge , and an additional £20 PA for removal.

At the moment we are trying the compost method, purely because we found three large bins for £10 by a private seller moving house, we shall have to wait and see.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #291 on: March 24, 2020, 04:20:01 pm »
Steve,   I've tried the composting method and have three compost bins full with no room for any more grass cuttings

Years ago the grass cuttings went in the Black bin and as there wasn't a lot of room in the bin I used to stand inside it and squash more into it.     It worked quite well until I got a note from the binman saying that the bin was too heavy for their machine       :-[

I'll see what Bryson has to say in the e-mail first and if I have to pay the £40.00 then so be it

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #292 on: March 24, 2020, 04:41:08 pm »
Hugo, our brown bin arrived yesterday so I cut our lawn today.

It is already nearly full so you were very wise in ordering two bins.

I phoned up CCBC and found out that our first collection will be on Good Friday, 10 April.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #293 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:07 pm »
I've no need for a bin, no grass at our new house, but seeing the fiasco today it's going to be interesting they stopped outside ours one guy had an I pad one guy on the wagon throwing the bins off another putting the wheels on, went house next door on over the road one couple doors down then went off 10 minutes later another battered van came along stopped another few off the neighbour on the other side came out looking for his they hadn't delivered his, then I seen the two vans all over Llanrhos looking lost 😂😂 good luck with getting your grass bins emptied when it starts, talk about giving the Irish a bad name.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2020, 03:45:06 pm »
A guide to bin day collections in N Wales

I'm still waiting for my brown bin and a reply to my e-mail      &shake&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/complete-guide-bin-collections-recycling-17976356

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:53 pm »
Hugo, I understand garden waste collections have been suspended.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #296 on: March 25, 2020, 04:41:22 pm »
They delivered the garden waste bins on my estate today, but several of us didn't get ours & there were dozens more left inside the vehicle, so what on earth is going on? &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #297 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:35 pm »
Hugo, our brown bin arrived yesterday so I cut our lawn today.

It is already nearly full so you were very wise in ordering two bins.

I phoned up CCBC and found out that our first collection will be on Good Friday, 10 April.

Should be all compressed down into next to nothing by then Bri!! You would be better off with a composting bin!!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2020, 08:08:35 pm »
Either that, Dave, or reuse the collection of green bags I have accumulated over the years.

There was nothing wrong with them.

Buying a new brown bin simply identifies us from those residents who haven’t paid the extra.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #299 on: March 26, 2020, 03:09:39 pm »
Brysons were out delivering brown bins again today, delivered two to my neighbours but again nothing for us. Mr M went after them to ask what was going on, only to be told we would have to wait another week for ours as they are being given out by when you ordered them. How stupid are some people, this really doesn't bode well for things to come  :roll: