Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100726 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2018, 03:02:38 pm »
If anyone is interested in watching the Cabinet debate regarding the 4 weekly bin collections and how they came to the decision it can now be viewed on the Conwy County Council Webcast Portal. Look for 'Cabinet Tuesday 23rd January 2018 2pm'. You don't have to watch the whole meeting go to 9a) Savings from refuse collection & increased recycling, then click on Watch. You will be able to see for yourselves who voted for and against and why they voted that way, there are some very interesting comments. Good to see they are being open about it and not making decisions behind closed doors. I very much admire the comments made by Cll. Sam Rowlands.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2018, 04:10:10 pm »
I cannot understand how nine people are allowed to make a decision on behalf of the 120,000 residents of Conwy County resulting in a 5-4 majority result without any consultation with our residents.

One of my two councillors once included ‘Save Llandudno Hospital’ in his name on a ballot paper to secure my vote but this time he certainly has not consulted with his constituents, as far as I know.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2018, 04:30:05 pm »
A special meeting of CCBC has been arranged for 26th February regarding the proposed 4 weekly bin collections. The meeting will allow all democratically elected Councillors to have their say on the matter. Personally I think they should all be able to vote on it and not leave it to The Cabinet to decide.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2018, 03:36:47 pm »
Councillors ask for rethink on monthly bin collections
Councillors are divided over whether the four-weekly plans are a good idea.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/monthly-bin-collections-plans-put-14338808

Offline Meleri

« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2018, 02:45:05 pm »
I have just watched the Webcast of the 'Special Meeting' that was called to discuss the 4 weekly bin collections. There were an awful lot of very angry Councillors, but they were warned the Council cannot overrule Cabinet decisions and any Councillor who tried to do so at length would be asked to sit down and would have their microphone switched off (which wasn't a good start) It was decided to ask the cabinet to reconsider, taking into consideration everything that was said at the meeting. It became apparent as the meeting went on not all changes/charges have been put in place or even agreed, so that was another reason many Councillors wanted it to be put on hold until the department who deal with the rubbish/recycling had got their act together. The decision on these matters should have gone to the Overview & Scrutiny Committee first and then to the Cabinet and one Councillor was furious that it hadn't as it wasn't democratic.
A lot of the meeting was lost on me and some of the Councillors seemed confused as to what they were voting on. At one point a Councillor had asked for the usual 5 minutes of each Councillor having their say could be suspended so they could have longer and perhaps speak more than once, so this was put to the vote and agreed.
One Councillor asked if the charges for taking items to the tip since it was implemented, could be compared to the cost of what clearing up the fly tipping was costing, then presented to the Cabinet at their next meeting. (Good One) Also what hasn't been agreed on is bulky item removal costs from households by CCBC. One proposal was one free item per household per year and then £5 for each item after, which is different to what it is at present. They also proposed 'skip days' for rural areas where supervised skips would be taken to certain areas for households to deposit bulky items for free. There was a lot more but if you are interested you can watch it on the Webcast.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:27 am »
Monthly bin collections for all county's homes from September
Conwy's cabinet gives its unanimous backing to controversial scheme

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/monthly-bin-collections-countys-homes-14407066

Offline SteveH

« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2018, 10:02:39 am »
Nearly 6,000 fly-tipping incidents in North Wales ... so why only three prosecutions?
New figures reveal the scourge of illegally dumped waste across the region.

Across the whole of Wales over the same period there were 69 prosecutions out of 38,580 recorded incidents.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/nearly-6000-fly-tipping-incidents-14436588

Offline SteveH

« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2018, 05:18:35 pm »
This story makes a nice change,   :D.............. well done to the boy's for their initiative

TWO boys described as “little heroes” have been praised by hundreds of residents after undertaking a river clean up.

Ryan Evans, 12, and his friend Ryan Patton, were heading to the beach in Old Colwyn when Ryan (Evans) phoned his mother Hazel to say they were no longer at the beach - but instead, had decided to go to the river.

Alarmed at first, Hazel was left reassured after the boys, who told her they were clearing out the river after noticing a large amount of rubbish.  REF Pioneer    http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/16382292.boys-12-praised-after-cleaning-up-river-in-old-colwyn/?ref=mr&lp=1 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2018, 02:49:43 pm »
I was not sure which topic , here, or "Special awards"

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2018, 03:26:34 pm »
That's taking the pith! 😏
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2018, 03:39:34 pm »
That's taking the pith! 😏

Hardly appealing, is it......... ;)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2018, 10:33:27 pm »
they may have been to a strip club

Offline SteveH

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2018, 04:15:00 pm »
I caught the tale end of a piece on Counrtyfile,...........MacRebur® LTD recycling plastics, combined with tarmac for use on roads the main points being they can use many types of plastic, also reuse what is already in landfill, and the end result is a more durable road surface, it is in the early stages of development,.......we need thinking like this.       

https://www.macrebur.com/the-product/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2018, 11:21:31 am »
Another project.another grant, more funding, is it me or does nothing get done anymore without this type of financial input, I am not disputing the good intention behind this venture, however £1,000,000 seems a lot, and are we getting our monies worth, assuming this is tax payer funded. ?

Conwy county is set to share in more than £1 million worth of funding for a project to reduce waste and increase recycling.

The environment minister, Hannah Blythyn, will today announce eight new projects across Wales, worth £5.4 million, with a new 'green shed' in Colwyn Bay to be among the projects to receive funding.

The 'green shed' will see the community involved in preparing items to be reused.

Mrs Blythyn said: “One of the best ways to reduce waste is to repair and refurbish items so they can be reused and some of these projects will improve facilities to enable this. We’re also investing in a pilot schools project to reduce waste and instill good habits from a young age.

“Where materials can’t be re-used, the next best method is to recycle, so we’re also investing in the machinery to better manage recyclable items.

“Wales is first in the UK, second in Europe and third in the world for household recycling, so out track record speaks for itself. The proportion of waste we recycle in Wales has increased dramatically, from 5% in 1999 to 63% last year.

“This range of new projects will not only help reduce waste in the coming years, it should lead to a cultural change in the longer term, helping us achieve our ambition to become a ‘Zero Waste Nation’ by 2050.”    REF Pioneer

Offline Dave

« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2018, 04:36:50 pm »
This looked like an interesting solution to plastic usage.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-43418391/the-firm-turning-plastic-into-oil

I still think that more should be done to put pressure on manufactures and retailers to use packaging that is easy to recycle