Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100564 times)

Offline squigglev2

Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2017, 04:19:00 pm »
I suspect Hugo is right and that any charge will put some off using the facility.  I'd still be interested in his views regarding how what I see as a compromise position might work, ie. one where the amount of stuff you can dispose of in a week is restricted.  That way, Brian would still be able to dispose of his old fence panel for free but would either have to pay or dispose of more in stages.

I'm not aware of the state of fly tipping in this area which may simply mean i don't go where it happens.  An annoyance to me is a different dumping. Car drivers seem to use a road junction close by as a dumping ground for takeaway packaging, I guess throw out at this stopping point before going the last mile or two home.

Offline Dave

« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2017, 02:02:33 pm »
I'm sure you can guarantee fly tipping will increase which will in turn prove expensive if the council then have to clear it up. A word of warning though, if someone dumps rubbish on your land it's your responsibility to get rid of it, it has to be on public land for the council to get involved. There are many who couldn't be bothered to drive an extra mile or two to dispose of their rubbish before charges came in, it's bound to increase now. It also encourages households to have bonfires to dispose of certain types of rubbish too, such as fence panels whereas I would have though they were of some use if they were recycled them.
What I find particularly annoying though is that if evidence is found linking the rubbish disposed of to an address it is of little use as the person who originally owned the rubbish can claim they paid someone to take it away and it was not of their doing. The tippers have to be caught in the act which makes it very, very difficult to prosecute the guilty parties.

As far as reducing council costs by implementing charges I would have thought that a successful recycling programme could be self funding, there is a lot of metal and reusable household items that have an obvious value to start with. I'm told glass is ground down and added to tar and stones to make road coverings, paper is recycled too. Building rubble becomes hard core etc etc.
If the council really want to reduce costs they could begin by looking inwardly at under employed staff, overpaid management and big spending on things like council offices and the likes. Certainly household rates have gone up beyond the level of inflation for several years and yet we seem to get less and less in the way of a return.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2017, 06:08:34 pm »
I do know a couple of council staff and the stories they tell me make me angry, not with them but their bosses. To get a very good salary for very little effort. lots of sickness absence on full pay. No private employer would operate this way.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »
I do know a couple of council staff and the stories they tell me make me angry, not with them but their bosses. To get a very good salary for very little effort. lots of sickness absence on full pay. No private employer would operate this way.

Not specificlly recycling but i reply to t he above comment,,,

Pretty well impoaiible to give a view there LL, without going beyond reasonableness for this forum but I do know my father who opted out after a spell ill  health and a chance to get back to Pydew was of a view, shall I say even above him when he worked at LL and later Bodlondeb would not have survived his once business world (managing a branch at the end in affluent Tundbridge wells and with the only promotions routes a London job or maybe a regional manager’’. For  a Three towns Reference, I think he opened or at least was early in CB, Abbey on Penhryn Road/??

Your comment isn’t clear but I’d doubt even he would see the privitisaion together with layers of profit fore shareholders as a solution.

He’s pretty old now and can have “bad times” but maybe I can try to ask him on experiences both in private and public if you like?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
Mr M went to the Recycling Centre at Mochdre this morning as we were unable to get there before the cut off date for charging was implemented. On arrival he was told the ticket machines were out of order so no charge  ;D
When will CCBC get it right  &shake&

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2017, 04:45:36 pm »
You jammy person Meleri,     I've got some more stuff to go there and will probably have more after the plasterer and tiler have completed their work on my house.

I've taken about 8 car loads full this week but there's a lot more still to go     :'(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2017, 05:59:18 pm »
Monthly bin collections for ALL households look set to be rolled out by council.

Article and 23 comments....
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/monthly-bin-collections-households-look-13904296

Just noticed this story from Flintshire,
Garden waste collection charges to be introduced by this North Wales council
The authority believes the changes could generate an additional £958,000 a year as it battles to balance the books

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/garden-waste-collection-charges-introduced-13905007

Offline Hugo

« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »
I wonder what the extra cost for fly tipping will now be for the Council now that charges are being introduced.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
I wonder what the extra cost for fly tipping will now be for the Council now that charges are being introduced.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds in taxpayers’ money is being forked out to clear up after fly-tippers.

Between them local authorities in North Wales paid £305,660 to tidy up illegally dumped waste across the region in 2016/17.
Councils recorded a total of 5,975 incidents of fly-tipping - a 4.3 per cent rise compared with the previous year.

But just three people were prosecuted in North Wales in relation to offences of fly-tipping - two in Denbighshire and one in Conwy.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fly-tippers-costing-taxpayers-hundreds-13911530

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:27 am »
Local lady went to Mochre with an Asda carrier bag of bits of wood from her garden fence. She was told that it was DIY waste and it would cost her £3 for them to recieve it. She demurred, and they told her to take it home and put it in her black bin. Which she did.

A brilliant system.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
I've just come back from Mochdre after taking two large paint tins of rubble there ( equal to a bag of rubble)   and the cost was £3.00.
The place was deserted apart from the people who work there.   They are always polite and helpful when I've been there before but this time they took the tins to the skip for me.
It looked like I was the first person to call there today, which was completely different to my last visit when the cars were queuing back to Dinerth Road waiting to go in to the waste  disposal site before they started charging

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »
I can see many people burning waste in the back garden, Bevans in the Bay View Centre have very good garden incinerators for just £10!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:30 pm »
I got a nice hand axe from B&M, (great shop that), and I’m going to chop up all my garden waste and fencing in the spring, and put it in the chimnea which has not been used in 10years.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2017, 07:51:18 pm »
I can see many people burning waste in the back garden, Bevans in the Bay View Centre have very good garden incinerators for just £10!

what!    I've recently paid them £15.00 for mine.       :'(               :rage:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2017, 09:05:17 pm »
So on top of the expected rise in fly tipping, the air quality is going to suffer.....  WWW