Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100581 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 08:04:10 pm »
Been to Mochdre this afternoon, with rubbish from the  Prom Day.

Isn't the tip for domestic waste only?  Is this not commercial waste?

The system regarding vans at the tip is ridiculous, I've got a sign written van which can not go to the tip under any circumstances.  It has my name, phone number and the fact I'm a plumber on the side.  Why can't I take a mattress to the tip then?  Its got nothing to do with my trade and is simply from my house.  If I had a non sign written van I could get a pass and take it.  No wonder fly tipping is on the increase.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14:28 pm »
Haven't got ours yet, but an elderly friend and I were exploring her 'delivery' of bags, boxes and other junk.
How many people use enough batteries to fill a bag?
Can you imagine the state of the white bag after a few weeks with some people? Stinky  bits left in containers, local cats leaving their calling card, not to mention the birds splatting on everything. At least the green boxes were scrubbable.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:30 pm »
You are also likely to get the Seagulls at everything together with Mice, Rats, the Urban Fox and any other foraging animal once they discover what is being left out for them overnight!   Add to this what the community yobs are likely to get up to and it is a receipe for disaster.  A lid on a small bin won't keep some of them out and the bags will be torn apart in no time.    ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 09:49:01 pm »
I'm sure I'll get a load of comments back about this but hey ho!Sorry if this goes against the flow but I see the new measures as providing a weekly rather than fortnigthly collection of some items such as bottles. A means of recycling plastic bottles and cardboard items that we haven't got currently. If it doesn't improve things then surely they are not reducing the facilities just adding to them. I've talked to a few friends outside the area and they would love what what we are being offered.  If you don't like the food and other new items don't use them and keep doing what your doing now. Before kicking off let's see if it works !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »
Hmmm,  I'm looking at a plastic tub of sandwich-filler, gone past its sell-by date.... deliberating over whether it is food waste, or plastic waste.

I think I'll put it back in the fridge, its too stressful.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »
The new box system will not replace the food waste system
It will replace the white plastics bag, which can then be used for Garden Waste.
The green box we all ready have will no longer be required, and will probably be able to be returned or kept for another purpose.
CCBC have applied and received funding for the new system of boxes, and the costs have not been taken from the Council Tax.

Timings would have been better if the new boxes had come at the same time as the new vehicles, but this wasn't possible due to waiting for the funding, so the interim solution has been put forward starting later in June so that we can reduce the landfill tax earlier.

Trade Waste is not free, because it would costs CCBC and Council Tax payers to put this additional waste into landfill which has a price per ton plus the additional tax.

Jack: You CAN use a sign written van at the Mochdre (or other centre), The permit system was brought in last year to aid this scenario. You need to apply for a single use permit. Please see http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=7865&doc=27092&Language=1 for more info on the permits being used.

I can stress how bad the EU imposed Landfill Tax esculation will have on Council Tax if we didn't put in these new measures. And as TheMedz has said this will be a Weekly collection of recycling material and FOOD waste.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
i,m sure they closed denbgh mentlal hospital and moved  tyhe patients to run ccbc, more new bin wagons oh no we don,t need the bins now :P :P

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 11:59:14 pm »
I agree with The Medz, I'm delighted to have more recycling collected.  We have virtually no kitchen waste that doesn't go on the compost heap, so that part's not likely to affect us (handy container, though), but plastics and cartons will be collected more frequently than I currently take them to Asda and I can now add cardboard and batteries, even if I put out only a couple of batteries once in a while. 

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 12:58:24 am »
Hi Fester You just empty the food into the food box provided, wash the container and put that into the big white bag provided Easy peasy  :rage:

Offline Jas

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:07 am »
I Totally agree with you, Having lived out the Country for 30+yrs I can't understand why we have to have so many containers for Household rubbish in Aus we had two wheelie bins one with a yellow lid for recycling, they collected every week, so we didn't have that very unsightly look of dozens of different bags a boxes floating around on windy days. Like you  have I very little waste. Which I dispose of in Bins that are provided at the nearest Super Market. But have a thought for my brother who lives in the Midlands they have nine bins to sort out (what a nightmare!!). No wonder the Council Taxes are so high in this country, it must be more costly collecting all this stuff!.     

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 09:48:34 am »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:54:51 am »
Today I finished a jar of coffee.   The jar is glass, the label is paper, the lid is plastic and the lid insert is cardboard.   Hey Ho!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:12 am »
no problem, you just spend an hour or so in the shed separating them, washing the jar and lid, place in the appropriate box / bag, job done! Then send the bill for your labour, hot water and washing up liquid to CCBC  WWW L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Dave

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 10:40:15 am »
I am 100% in favour of recycling but I think we are tackling the problem at the wrong end. Surely we should be aiming to produce goods where less recycling is needed. Our household always takes reusable bags to the supermarket but it's a bit pointless when you look at the conveyor belt and realise most things are packed in plastic.Why are some products packaged in recyclable plastic and others not ? Those plastic trays in black plastic that are not suitable for example.
Why does fast food come with so much polystyrene and plastic (which also adds to our litter problem) ? What's wrong with paper and cardboard.
What's wrong with deposits on bottles ?
I was recently at a Tesco Extra store that has a recycling machine where they give you one clubcard point for every drinks can you return... but nothing for bottles.

Currently the amount of energy wasted in recycling is anything but "green" in my opinion !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:13 am »
Some very good points, Dave. Packaging could be reduced/eliminated in many cases and there should be just as much focus on this as the recycling aspect.