Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 218574 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2015, 02:01:01 pm »
Unexpected landing, Aug. 1910  Rhos on Sea Golf Club by Robert Bilcliffe Loraine (14 January 1876 – 23 December 1935) was a successful London and Broadway stage actor, actor-manager and soldier who later enjoyed a side career as a pioneer aviator.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Loraine     

From a Previous post.....the last picture
"The Farman biplane piloted by Robert Loraine, landed safely about 100 yards from the club-house on Rhos-on-Sea Golf Course, Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno, on August 1 1910 and was the first airplane to land in Wales. Robert, aged 34, flew from Blackpool, and completed a record-breaking over-sea flight. (63 miles)."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »
Impressive indeed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:57 pm »
Following on from an earlier discussion on Rhos Fynach Weir last year .....Oct 2014 REPLY no's 131/139. on this thread.

I have a blueprint (1966) of what looks like some sort of commemorative scroll for Rhos Fynach (Royal) Weir , showing it's position
(I have cropped sections which I hope you will be able to read.)

1920 Arial view showing weir ?    V shaped pool to the right of the pier.

A very early photo from my great grandmother's collection written on the back it say's .....Capt. Roberts...Rhos weir ......Bluebell Hotel (no date) (now Cayley Arms)...........He may also have lived in the fishermans cottages.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »
This is superb stuff, Steve. Do keep it coming.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:45 pm »
You really have a wonderful archive there SteveH. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:37 pm »
This is superb stuff, Steve. Do keep it coming.
Hollins  You really have a wonderful archive there SteveH. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Thank you both, I have waited a long time to sort out the Rhos papers etc a lot of it is family stuff now, but I will keep posting relevant items......

You may also find interesting that during the search I found RAF photos from my Dad's old squadron, and his days with the Fire Service, and contacted both parties,..... the GFS is going to use all the photos in their museum......and today I was contacted by the RAF museum asking for permission to use two of the photos I had sent, I was very proud that they wanted them, but sad to say that both were pictures of aircrew (with their names on the back,) that had previously been unidentified (lost in action) they will be used in the museum and copies sent to their families.

Offline SteveH

Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2015, 06:43:02 pm »

The last owner of the weir, one John Parry Evans, trained terrier dogs to retrieve salmon from the weir. The first dog he trained, Jack, was so admired that he was awarded with a silver collar and became a popular tourist attraction. Unfortunately he died in 1873 after receiving fatal injuries from another shark trapped in the weir! The weir fell into disuse during World War I, and regrettably its stakes were later removed as a danger to boats."
Courtesy of the WSF forum
I forgot to mention above, that part of the commemorative scroll, allowed a space for a picture of Jack's silver collar,  I think it might be part of the Colwyn Bay council's silver collection held at the Civic Centre, but I cannot find any reference to it, it would be interesting to see it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2015, 08:23:10 am »
Included in Norman Tucker's book " Colwyn Bay it's origins and growth" is a bit about Jack.   Apparently Jack was on a Prussian schooner that dropped anchor off Rhos on Sea and Jack was exchanged for a bag of potatoes!    He was called an "Otter Terrier"
  At the time the book was written a somewhat dusty Jack with his paw on an even dustier Salmon. reposes in a glass case in the house of Mr Parry Evans' daughter.   The silver collar was also shown to the author.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2015, 11:11:54 am »
Thanks Hugo, I'd forgotten about that part of the story, I'll have another look at NT's book......... $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2015, 12:37:09 pm »
Two more photos of Rhos....the first you can pick out landmarks .....Rhos County Garage, the Princess etc. no swimming pool.
The second shows both piers and the swimming pool.........

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2015, 10:00:31 pm »
   The building is there but I doubt it was the Rhos County Garage. This garage was opened in the early 1930s and this photo looks years older than that. Also you mention the Princess. Do you mean the cinema? If so, that was the Rhos Playhouse (nicknamed bughouse). The Princess was in Colwyn Bay.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2015, 11:05:16 am »
 Must put brain in gear, considering we have just been talking about these subjects....will do better. :-[       :-[

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2015, 08:25:14 pm »
   Don't worry. I'm not really a picky beggar. However it was once pointed out to me that if something is incorrect and spoken verbally, well it does'ent really matter. But if its in print (and include the internet) then it is there for all time. And in time will be taken as being fact.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2015, 08:31:02 am »
if its in print (and include the internet) then it is there for all time. And in time will be taken as being fact.

Worryingly, more than a ring of truth in that.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:49 am »
Two more photos of Rhos....the first you can pick out landmarks .....Rhos County Garage, the Princess etc. no swimming pool.
The second shows both piers and the swimming pool.........
That first aerial photo is fantastic, SteveH.  $good$