Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 218737 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:33 am »
Eagerly awaiting the next instalment, Mike.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2015, 12:06:07 pm »
Just spent a very entertaining 1/2 hour on the prom at Rhos, below the Caley prom. As we returned to the car after walking the dog, we noticed a white van parked between us and the railings bordering the sea. Two men, sitting inside it...one napping and the other doing something with a mobile phone. They eventually got out, got various tools from the back and began mixing cement in a bucket. One chipped a small piece of concrete from the edge of the sea wall thus creating a hollow about 6" across. It then took the two of them 1/2 an hour to pour, level and pat down the resulting mess, much of which ran down towards the beach. The tools and bucket were then loaded back into the van which moved about 20 yards and the whole process began again. Not the council by the way, but a drilling firm.
If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »
Some more pics from the collection..

No1 Shows the difference in height between the beach and the prom now and then.
No2 Shows family home (from approx 1890 untill 1933) middle of row "Ocean View"    (I would swear that is my father sitting on the bench)                                                                                                                       

No's 3and 4 "Ocean View" from the front.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »
Following on from above, an early Colwyn Crescent, Rhos pic. these houses built by Richard Williams of Deganwy in 1900.
My Great Grandparents bought the second house from the left in 1933 and it stayed in the family until recently.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2015, 09:12:16 pm »
  I know its rather late in the day to comment about a previous post from year 2009. But it is on this page, and I've only just read it. I haven't got the time to pick holes in it or contribute anything to it, but I must just mention that "butchers===two" and goes on to describe them. How could who wrote it have possibly missed Cutlers Butchers in Everard Road. It was there, definitely, in 1936 and it is still (at least up to about a couple of months ago) there as a butchers. It is now the last shop on the right going from Rhos Road. Ran for years by Ray Cutler. Brother of Syd Cutler who ran the butchers in the West end of the bay.
   I won't bother digging deeper into the past. Time for bed

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2015, 09:46:00 pm »
  There is a lot of "survey" work going on along the Marine Drive towards Old Colwyn. Different vans, mostly sign written.
   My guess is that it is something to do with the proposed tidal barrage which is suggested might go from Rhos pint to Prestatyn. The proposed one in Swansea looks as if it is going ahead. If that is successful then here will be the next. But don't expect anything for very many years in the future

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2015, 09:59:23 pm »
Hello Ian and what next instalment are you awaiting? Do you mean about Pyes? Or SteveH mentioned more shots of old Rhos but he has put them in a different thread, Rhos times past. Mainly of Colwyn Crescent which I knew very,very well. But funnily enough I didn't know that many people who lived there. Frank Westwell younger brother of Herbert Westwell, the bottling store owner is the only one I can name.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:26 am »
Hello Ian and what next instalment are you awaiting? Do you mean about Pyes?

Really, the entire history of the coach companies in the '50s. Creams, for instance. Fascinating stuff :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:10 am »
  There is a lot of "survey" work going on along the Marine Drive towards Old Colwyn. Different vans, mostly sign written.
   My guess is that it is something to do with the proposed tidal barrage which is suggested might go from Rhos pint to Prestatyn. The proposed one in Swansea looks as if it is going ahead. If that is successful then here will be the next. But don't expect anything for very many years in the future
There was a  guy on a quad bike surveying the beach below the Cayley prom a few weeks ago.

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:36 am »
Remember the Pye coach well.
We lived at the north end of Liverpool 1940/50s, and every so often the villagers from Penrhynside would have a day trip to Liverpool.
My mother would take me to meet my nain off the coach.
If I remember right the women went off round the shops and the men headed for Goodison Park or Anfield.
Happy days.  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:12 am »
  I know its rather late in the day to comment about a previous post from year 2009. But it is on this page, and I've only just read it. I haven't got the time to pick holes in it or contribute anything to it, but I must just mention that "butchers===two" and goes on to describe them. How could who wrote it have possibly missed Cutlers Butchers in Everard Road. It was there, definitely, in 1936 and it is still (at least up to about a couple of months ago) there as a butchers. It is now the last shop on the right going from Rhos Road. Ran for years by Ray Cutler. Brother of Syd Cutler who ran the butchers in the West end of the bay.
   I won't bother digging deeper into the past. Time for bed
Its called Humphreys Butchers now, I think.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2015, 09:19:03 am »
A 'Then & Now' photo (I think I have the right present day house?)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:57 am »
Remember the Pye coach well.
We lived at the north end of Liverpool 1940/50s, and every so often the villagers from Penrhynside would have a day trip to Liverpool.
My mother would take me to meet my nain off the coach.
If I remember right the women went off round the shops and the men headed for Goodison Park or Anfield.
Happy days.  :)

I used to catch the Pye's coach to go to see Everton when I was younger. If I remember correctly everyone got off in the city about lunchtime, the women went shopping and the men congregated around the television showrooms to watch Football Focus. They then caught the coach an hour or so later to go to the ground for the match.
Afterwards all the coaches were lined up outside the stadium (ours was easy to spot because it was so old!) and we went via the city to pick up the shoppers on the way home. Sadly the coach started to become less reliable so we changed to the car.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2015, 11:47:25 am »
Thank you DR, keeps the story going........ $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2015, 01:02:19 pm »
Hello Admin,
I started posting comments and photos in "Everything to do with Rhos on Sea" but I think it should be here in Rhos on Sea "Times Past" ?     Also I have checked, and there is not a times past for Colwyn Bay, would it be possible to alter the subject heading to include Colwyn Bay as a lot of the info I have "coming Soon" is a mixture of both places.
If you agree, could you please redirect recent posts and photos to this thread.    Many Thanks...Steve.