Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 219444 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2014, 06:28:04 pm »
Another picture of the Weir which was said to have bern constructed by the Monks of Rhos Fynach.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
Hi Yorkie, that seems similar, in size to my picture from memory, but the first one looks massive!!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:45 pm »
This is a diagramatic representation of how the weir was constructed.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Chris H

« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »
Found a thread about Rhos that was on the ill fated Colwyn Bay local forum - think it was from August 2009. Some good info in there:

Don't know much about Westwells - can anyone fill in the gaps?

ajm wrote:
3 greengrocers
2 butchers
2 bakers 1 - Pinningtons (Trojan)
1 convenience store The Co-Op (Trojan)
1 frozen food store
1 art shop
2 newsagents
3 cafes 2 - Nino's, Fortes'? (Trojan)
1 deli
1 post office
1 chip shop
2 seaside gift shops
1 chocolate shop
1 estate agent - Bryan Davies & Associates
1 wool/haberdashers
1 jewellers
1 shoe shop
1 bike shop
1 hardware store
1 tyre fitters - Was it ATS? Yes (Trojan)
1 off licence
1 dried flower shop
1 hairdressers The Windsor (Trojan)

Ok, I'll try and answer some of these based on around 1977 to 1988

3 greengrocers - arundales on the corner, belmont - Colwyn avenue (now a dentist & later became Rosies wool and baby linen and then I think a shoe shop?) and another on Penrhyn Avenue (opposite the "old" Fortes)

2 butchers - Colwyn Avenue (now a beauty salon) & Bill Jenkins (now a charity shop)

2 bakers - Pinningtons and Tudor Bakery (now an Italian)

1 convenience store - The Co-op but poss. another one - where Penrhyn House is? Maybe it was called Pryce's?

1 frozen food store - Freezrite

1 art shop - ran by Mr and Mrs Hughes where the Copper Kettle is now

2 newsagents - originally Lennie's (who also had a booth on Llandudno pier) then taken over by the couple who owned one where the sandwich shop is now on Rhos Road. Lennies was were the estate agent is on Colwyn Ave.

3 cafes - Fortes, Nino's and the gem tea rooms (still a tea room I believe) used to be the gem tea rooms and a gem shop where ID hair is

1 deli - Sheards - where the tea room next to Pinningtons is?

1 post office - still there!

1 chip shop - still there but originally only the chip shop and not the cafe - used to be ran by the Wainwrights

2 seaside gift shops - 1 ran by Anthony Chorlton (?) who I believe still has a shop on upper mostyn street, Llandudno - the shop in rhos is now the clothes shop by the zebra crossing, the other gift shop was what is now the chip shop cafe on Colwyn Avenue, later became Rosie's wool and baby linen before that moved to Belmont greengrocers

1 chocolate shop - I believe this was what is now the "extension" to Bryan Davies?

1 estate agent - Bryan Davies

1 wool/haberdashers - Irene, Penrhyn Avenue

1 jewellers - Beardsalls

1 shoe shop - Rhos Road, still there but I forget the name!

1 bike shop - run by Ron Holland, I remember it in 2 locations, on the corner of Colwyn Avenue/Rhos Road and also on the corner of Rhos Road/Everard Road

1 hardware store - Butler and Timmis is absolutely right! It was run by Mr Fielding

1 tyre fitters - don't remember the name but now Lily Lace

1 off licence - B & J wines, Colwyn Avenue - now a charity shop

1 dried flower shop - now the Chinese take away on Colwyn Avenue - but who remembers the name?

1 hairdressers - The Windsor
Top of Form
Bottom of Form

The haberdashers in Penrhyn Avenue was owned and run by Mrs Irene Keeling.  I went out with her daughter Janet before I joined the Army in 1973! :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2014, 09:27:17 am »
I think that's so informative it ought to be copied into here:

"At low tide you can see the remains of the foundations of the medieval RHOS FYNACH FISHING WEIR (2), one of many once found round the Welsh coastline. There used to be two fishing weirs at Rhos. They consisted of a large V-shaped enclosure made out of wicker fencing. At high tide the fish swam into the structure, and were then trapped in a pool as the tide went out. Weirs such as these were so effective that by Victorian times they were a danger to fishing stocks, particularly salmon. Therefore in 1861 Parliament passed a law ordering their destruction. As a result the other weir in Rhos was demolished.

However the new law granted an exemption where the owner could prove his weir had existed before the time of Magna Carta (1215 AD). The owner of this Rhos Fynach weir was able to prove its medieval origins to the satisfaction of the Commissioners, and so it escaped destruction - further evidence of the antiquity of the settlement at Rhos.

The weir was amazingly effective and enormous quantities of fish could be caught. For example, in 1850 there was a record catch of 35,000 herrings in a single night! The weir even trapped an 8-foot shark in 1865, which was then put on display in Llandudno market. On another occasion (in 1907) 10 tons of mackerel were caught on a single tide.

The last owner of the weir, one John Parry Evans, trained terrier dogs to retrieve salmon from the weir. The first dog he trained, Jack, was so admired that he was awarded with a silver collar and became a popular tourist attraction. Unfortunately he died in 1873 after receiving fatal injuries from another shark trapped in the weir! The weir fell into disuse during World War I, and regrettably its stakes were later removed as a danger to boats."

Courtesy of the WSF forum
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2015, 10:14:24 am »
I have some photos that suggest there was an event in Rhos called "Queen of the Roses" with the Queen named "Alice" and possible a fun parade, the date on the photos is 1927
Has anyone any further information.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2015, 11:24:57 am »
Scan from CB/Rhos Guide book......year?           One for Ormegolf......

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2015, 11:29:17 am »
If you have the entire guide book, Steve, we could add it to the gallery in here. Looks quite a find.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2015, 11:50:34 am »
If you have the entire guide book, Steve, we could add it to the gallery in here. Looks quite a find.
I am sitting on two undated guide books and family photos relating to Rhos going back as far as 1890.....
I am trying to put them in order !!!!!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2015, 04:38:28 pm »
Excellent. More...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »
Excellent. More...
Thankyou Ian,   I am having a hard time, the quality of my scans seem poor, especially with the wording, spent most of this afternoon trying to adjust, without much success , all advice accepted.

This is a cropped scan of a watercolour painted by a friend of my fathers, David Price in 1990 "Patterns in the sand" Rhos

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:15 pm »
Hello SteveH. Your "Pyes" photo, and you write "one for me." So here goes.
  This coach was one of two purchased by Pyes around 1948. They were both outstanding for their time for a variety of reasons, all of them way out in front of development after the sterile war years.
  First, the reg numbers. gUN 1 and GUN 2. This was years before anyone thought number plates were of any value. UN and CA were both letters showing they came from Denbighshire.
 Next to the engines. Foden 16 cylinder two stroke engines. Wait for the gasp of breath from anyone who has any clue as to what I am writing about. The noise they emitted was completely distinctive. A high pitched high revving noise, once heard never forgotten. Not at all loud just unique.
 Third the dorsal fin on the roof. For ventilation. In 1948 the average person couldn't even spell ventilation, never mind know what it was and witness it being put into a coach.
  Needless to say we kids were gobsmacked. Just stood at the kerb watching with open mouths.
  Bear this in mind when you hear about the sad decline that this company went through over the next 35 years.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »
Great knowledge Mike thanks for that, there will be more photos of Rhos coming soon, hope for your comments. $good$

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:12 pm »
 :) $thanx$