Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 219184 times)

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:45 am »
I remember Mr. Breeze at Rhos pool - spent quite a lot time there as a kid!!  I lived in Rhos but can't remember you SteveH although we probably knew some of the same people - Happy times!!

Offline Tilly

« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 08:47:02 am »
Does anybody know anything about the Rhos on Sea Post Office building? How long it has been there, and if it was always a Post Office? Thankyou

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2014, 09:12:09 am »
The Pier at Rhos On Sea under construction in 1895:

[smg id=3295]

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:36 am »
The Pier at Rhos On Sea under construction in 1895:

[smg id=3295]

I saw this on Facebook the other day, which is good because I can't see it here! 😪
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »
Very narrow, was it not?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »
Yes it was narrow - I remember it being there and also being taken down

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »
In reply to Tilly, no. The Rhos Post Office was originally at the end of the short cul de sac to the right of the Cayley pub on the prom. Not sure what is there now, despite the fact that I drive past there twice a day every day. Probably keeping my eyes on the traffic around the pedestrian crossing.
    For many years after the P.O.moved there was still a telephone kiosk in this little entry. It was left behind after the move. It was common prewar practice to have a phone box outside a post office.
   The P.O. moved to approx two doors to the right of the present cafe Ninos or Dinos? It was on two levels, half way inside you went up around 4/5 steps to reach the counter.
   At another later date, probably in the 1970s it moved again to its present position. I am a bit vague about this because at that time I lived in Rhyl and did not see much of Rhos. But it apparently moved next door, one further step towards Penrhyn Avenue. Seems unlikely, but I suppose there must have been some advantage. Maybe  it gave them further depth.
   By now they must be close to Charlies fresh fish shop, or maybe in it. If Charlie was still alive he would be around 130 years old. When I get a chance and spot a vacant parking space close I will have a better look from across the road which should help my memory of seventy plus years ago. If so I will post it on the forum.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:29 pm »
   I've had another think about this, and I seem to remember there was a small plot of land between Charlies and  the P.O. site after they moved from the Cayley. So possibly the present P.O.is a new building squashed in between or maybe they just extended
to the right.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »
   I feel rather ill after seeing these photos of Rhos pier.
   I don't want to start repeating myself but I think I am bound to have written on the forum at some time about how we kids tightroped over a substantial
gap in the planking by walking one foot in front of another on the side girders, about one foot wide.
  One slip and a virtual certain death on the rocks below.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:30 am »
   I feel rather ill after seeing these photos of Rhos pier.
   I don't want to start repeating myself but I think I am bound to have written on the forum at some time about how we kids tightroped over a substantial
gap in the planking by walking one foot in front of another on the side girders, about one foot wide.
  One slip and a virtual certain death on the rocks below.

You did Mike, but it bears repeating.  A very harrowing thought really.
It's amazing what we did when we were kids, as Quigg's wartime memoirs clearly reminded us.

For my part, I remember vividly playing on our school roof.  An old Victorian school, 4 floors high, we used to think it was great fun to slide down the slated roof, and dig our heels in to the decaying guttering to stop ourselves flying off, perhaps 60ft, to certain death below.   But that never occurred to us at the time!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2014, 08:14:50 am »

It's amazing what we did when we were kids, as Quigg's wartime memoirs clearly reminded us.

For my part, I remember vividly playing on our school roof.

Top of the Form, eh?

I saved all the stories from Quiggs and have them somewhere as a single file on my old PC.  With Q's permission I can send the file to anyone who would like to read of his exploits.  Providing I can locate the file and haven't deleted it during my housekeeping operations.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2014, 08:39:51 am »
In reply to Tilly, no. The Rhos Post Office was originally at the end of the short cul de sac to the right of the Cayley pub on the prom. Not sure what is there now, despite the fact that I drive past there twice a day every day. Probably keeping my eyes on the traffic around the pedestrian crossing.
    For many years after the P.O.moved there was still a telephone kiosk in this little entry. It was left behind after the move. It was common prewar practice to have a phone box outside a post office.
   The P.O. moved to approx two doors to the right of the present cafe Ninos or Dinos? It was on two levels, half way inside you went up around 4/5 steps to reach the counter.
   At another later date, probably in the 1970s it moved again to its present position. I am a bit vague about this because at that time I lived in Rhyl and did not see much of Rhos. But it apparently moved next door, one further step towards Penrhyn Avenue. Seems unlikely, but I suppose there must have been some advantage. Maybe  it gave them further depth.
   By now they must be close to Charlies fresh fish shop, or maybe in it. If Charlie was still alive he would be around 130 years old. When I get a chance and spot a vacant parking space close I will have a better look from across the road which should help my memory of seventy plus years ago. If so I will post it on the forum.
Good info, Mike.  $good$ To add a couple of things...

The original Post Office is now La Reina Cafe:
http://bit.ly/1sZ6hr4

It then moved to what is now Penrhyn House & Home on Penrhyn Ave, it still has a Post Box outside it:
http://bit.ly/1B9YkUr

In the 70s, it moved two doors down to its present location.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2014, 11:02:47 am »
Not sure were to put this...(will leave it up to admin)

The North Wales fishing industry

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/flashback-north-wales-fishing-industry-5112999

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:54 pm »
You used to be able to see the slight outline of the old Weir at Rhos up until a few years ago.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2014, 05:34:57 pm »
You used to be able to see the slight outline of the old Weir at Rhos up until a few years ago.

Was there two, one each side of the pier? I think I have an old photo of a weir on the far side, if so, which one is this?seems very big.
Can you make out the date on the photo please, Ta.