Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 219608 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2011, 08:45:55 pm »
I always understood that mussels could only be eaten safely if they came from a mussel "farm"  i.e. strictly looked after by the public health people. Now I find that apparently you can just collect them off the beach. Guess how I feel. I was a child, alone on Rhos beach during the war. Just me----and thousands of mussels. And I could have collected them and made a fortune!!!!!!! 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »
You can eat any mussels as far as I know, but in recent years it has become 'fashionable' only to eat the smooth ones which have no barnacles on them... like the Irish ones.
Also, if you keep them in a solution (still alive) for a couple of days, as with Conwy mussels, it flushes them out, and they are less gritty apparently.

I like Menai Bridge mussels, or green-lipped mussels..... or any really.

Conwy messels have been quite small this last couple of years, but when they are large and meaty, they are as good as any.   $dins$ $dins$
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:18:16 am by Fester »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »
Mussels are a speciality in Dutch restaurants but here is a great mussel soup.

Dutch mussel soup has been prepared and served on the tables of homes and neighborhood restaurants since the early 17th century. Combining a fairly simple soup stock made of white wine, chicken, carrots, bay leaves and celery with fresh, live mussels, Dutch mussel soup is dish that is both complex and satisfying. Dutch mussel soup makes a rich, hearty meal for a cool winter evening, especially when served with a loaf of hot, fresh French bread and a glass of cool, crisp brown ale.

750 ml. sauvignon blanc
Chicken leg
Large carrot, thinly sliced
1/8 tsp. powdered saffron
9 lb. live mussels
4 white onions, sliced
2 bay leaves
2 celery sticks
7 black peppercorns, crushed
2 ¾ oz. cornstarch
1 cup whipping cream
Sea salt (to taste)
Ground black pepper (to taste)
Celery leaves, chopped (to garnish)

Pour the wine into a large saucepan and add 4 cups of water, the chicken leg, sliced carrot and the saffron. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 55-60 minutes.

Scrub the mussels under cold running water to remove the beards. Discard any mussels that do not close immediately when tapped, and any with broken shells. Add the mussels, onions, bay leaves, celery, crushed peppercorns and 2/3 cup water to the pan. Cover and cook over high heat for 5 minutes or until all the mussel shells have opened up.

Strain the mussels, reserving the cooking liquid in a small bowl. Discard closed mussels and remove the rest from their shells.

Strain 2 cups of the cooking liquid through a sieve lined with dampened muslin cloth two times. Add the cooking liquid to the soup.

Remove the chicken leg from the pan with a slotted spoon and cut the meat off the bone. Chop finely and reserve. Add the leeks to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Mix the cornstarch with 2/3 cup water in a small bowl to form a thin paste. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the soup slowly, returning to a boil for 2-3 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream, mussels and chicken meat. Transfer to individual serving bowls and sprinkle with chopped celery leaves to garnish. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2011, 08:51:05 pm »
it looks delicious but I am always wary about cooking mussels for myself, if they are on the menu I will always choose them  though

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:12 pm »
There's a drilling rig outside the Rhos Harbour Bistro taking ground samples. I presume its to do with the subsidence at the rear of the building.

Yorkie

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01:38 pm »
it looks delicious but I am always wary about cooking mussels for myself, if they are on the menu I will always choose them  though

Providing they are fresh - ask at Conwy Quay when you buy them or get from Mermaid Seafoods.   Make sure you clean then well, discard broken ones and any open ones that don't close when you tap them with the knife.   Also discard any that have not opened after cooking and you should not have any problems.

I clean mine in the morning then leave them in a large bowl of salted water for the rest of the day until I want to cook.

Offline viv

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:00 pm »
Does anyone remember a kiosk selling sweets and ice cream right at the Colwyn Bay end of the promenade? Would have been in the 50`s or am i just making it up?

Yes there was a kiosk - also sold the usual buckets and spades. Served as a stop for the Runabout bus along the prom. Round the corner at the bottom of Beach Road were the public toilets - demolished to make way for the supports for the A55.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »
Rhos on Sea was of key importance to the monks of Aberconwy because of the extremely productive Rhos Fynach fishing weir given to them by Prince Llewelyn. The weir continued to provide livelihood for various leaseholders until WW1. During a single night in 1850, for example, 35,000 herring were caught and 10 tons of mackerel were removed in one tide in 1907.

The photo below shows the remains of the weir.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:53 pm »
The weir can easily be spotted in this old postcard.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »
weir and peir are clearly seen in this aerial shot from 1934 http://stwnsh.com/2nd

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »
Trojan---I think this is the first time I have commented on any of your posts. So, thanks for the mention in another thread of me being an (ex) coach driver. Makes me feel important when folk I know very little about know about me LOL But, now, I'll take a deep breath before typing, Ive had enough of rows in this forum. Your first picture of the fishing weir--spot on. The second one, no. It doesent show it clearly at all, actually it is right out of sight around the bend at the top.  Mike  P.S. Now to await a storm of abuse from everyone for picking holes in a senior posters comments

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 09:42:08 pm »
There are no junior or senior posters, Mike, everyone is equal here. If any inference is made that lots of posts equals some kind of seniority, then we shall just remove the post count on each members' profile.  :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »
Trojan---I think this is the first time I have commented on any of your posts. So, thanks for the mention in another thread of me being an (ex) coach driver. Makes me feel important when folk I know very little about know about me LOL But, now, I'll take a deep breath before typing, Ive had enough of rows in this forum. Your first picture of the fishing weir--spot on. The second one, no. It doesent show it clearly at all, actually it is right out of sight around the bend at the top.  Mike  P.S. Now to await a storm of abuse from everyone for picking holes in a senior posters comments

Thanks for commenting on my post Mike.  $drink$

I honestly thought the 'sticks' sticking out of the beach was the weir. I thought there were weirs on both sides of Rhos Point. Could you tell me/us what they are then? They look too 'feeble' to be breakwaters.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:41:39 pm by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:05 pm »
The second one, no. It doesent show it clearly at all, actually it is right out of sight around the bend at the top.

You mean over here?

Aprox position of old wicker fish trap. Raised banks still visible.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2011, 10:59:53 pm »
weir and peir are clearly seen in this aerial shot from 1934 http://stwnsh.com/2nd

Thanks for that dwsi.

I hijacked the pic just in case the website disappears.  :)