Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 218615 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:12 am »
Maybe? The promenade here used to be a dead end just outside the what was later the Rhos Abbey hotel - the grounds of the Rhos Fynach extended all over what is now the Rhos point area. The red brick Rhos Abbey Hotel itself was built on what was once the farmyard of the Rhos Fynach;

[smg id=519]

*&(

Offline Trojan

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:18 am »
Found some more photos of Rhos swimming pool:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 09:24:31 am »
Any ideas on the date of those last two pics, Trojan? I'd say 1940s, maybe? My Dad used to work there as a lad, looking after the Roller Skates apparently.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »
Any ideas on the date of those last two pics, Trojan? I'd say 1940s, maybe? My Dad used to work there as a lad, looking after the Roller Skates apparently.

Difficult to assess the exact date Dave. 1940's or even 1950's maybe.....looks like one piece swimsuits were the order of the day, and in the bottom photo the young lad throwing the ball (probably leather) is wearing shorts that end just above the knee.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 10:27:56 pm »
Trojan---are you sure about the date on your recent photograph showing a Pyes horse drawn coach. You mention circa 1910. To me this looks as if it was taken in the main garage in Penrhyn Avenue, you can clearly see the tram standard. In any event Pyes only came to Rhos around 1929, before that they were in Heswall on the Wirral. I am reasonably sure that this is a photo of the coach and horses that John Pye purchased from a film studio around 1947 and the photo would be around that time.  Mike

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:20 pm »
Trojan---are you sure about the date on your recent photograph showing a Pyes horse drawn coach. You mention circa 1910. To me this looks as if it was taken in the main garage in Penrhyn Avenue, you can clearly see the tram standard. In any event Pyes only came to Rhos around 1929, before that they were in Heswall on the Wirral. I am reasonably sure that this is a photo of the coach and horses that John Pye purchased from a film studio around 1947 and the photo would be around that time.  Mike

No, I'm not sure Mike, but that's what it said from where I obtained the photo's from. It said they originated from Mr Jessie Pye - via Mr David Crook - if you look to the left of the photo you can see a petrol pump.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »
Looking at it again, those houses at the back of the photo look to date from the 1930s, if they are the ones with the red tile roofs along Penrhyn Ave.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 09:57:51 pm »
Yes---thats it---I'm sure now. Trojan, you mention Jessie Pye. Well, I know him very, very well, and now I remember him showing the original of this photo to me.  The actual coach was probably cica 1910 as you said, but the photo was taken around 1950.  The man standing to the right hand side of the photo (left of the coach) was the original Jonnie Pye himself. He bougfht this coach, and horses, and a very long post horn etc etc from a film studio in London, with the idea of plying for hire along the prom in the Bay. Needless to say, the Council squassed the idea well and truly. It would have been competition for their small bus service.  Just as a matter of interest, especially to anyone interested in bus transport,  in the centre of Heswall is a Pub namewd "The Johnnie Pye".  Its a new, gastro theme pub, and is full of old photos of Pyes buses from the 1920's, fleet lists, timetables etc.etc.  Reason being is has been built on the site of the old bus station which Mr Pye operated before selling out (being bullied into selling) by Crosville.    When the pub was opened around 15 years ago, the brewery tried to find any relative of Johnnie, and they traced Jessie in Old Colwyn. They wanted him to open it!!!! If Jessie reads this (unlikely) he wont mind my saying that he has spent a very large part of his life inside a pub. He never got to opening one before.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 09:59:53 pm »
Your stories are always great, Mike!  *&(

Offline Trojan

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 10:37:04 pm »
Your stories are always great, Mike!  *&(

They certainly are! Dave has spent a very large part of his life inside a pub also.  L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 02:04:13 am »
A couple of old veiws of Rhos:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:17:15 am by Trojan »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:45 pm »
Mike was talking about Pye's Coaches, here's a photo of their Promenade Garage (on the corner where Fortes is now in Rhos)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 03:25:25 pm »
...and a photo of a Pyes coach turning into their old depot on Princes Drive, Colwyn Bay (which became an outdoor market in the 1980s and is now a car park) in the 1970s:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »
Flooding used to be a big problem in Rhos, up until the building of the breakwater in the early 1980s. Top photo was submitted by Jemima to the old Colwyn Bay forum.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 07:21:27 pm »
Spent many happy hours in Rhos pool.  Does anyone remember the old Rhos an have any photos?