Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 218886 times)

Offline gaztrucker

Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
hey dave thats the colwyn bay prom of my childhood too standing at the bottom of eirias park hill watching br class 40 locos pulling hard out of the bay on the irish mail and the emerald isle express happy days !!!!!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:53 am »
Great image from 1958, showing the bandstand area opposite the Cayley.

Offline temperancellandudno

• Management board member
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2017, 10:05:39 pm »
Hello everyone

There has been brief mention of the Miniature Steam Railway, which i think was on the front between Rhos and Colwyn Bay. I seem to recall this from 1975, although i can't recall exactly where it went.

is my memory at fault? I would be very interested in further details.

Many thanks

TL

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2017, 12:12:39 am »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2017, 12:13:32 am »
The only steam miniature railway I can remember was on the Colwyn Bay Promenade but it only run from the entrance to Eirias Park to the Pier.
I think the train & carriages were housed in a building by Eirias Park and there may be a photo on here of it

Nice video Steve and that's the only one I can remember

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2017, 12:22:46 am »
Ta H.   I found this one while looking, interesting, as is the driving ? Talk about dash cams

Tram video Colwyn Bay    to    Llandudno 1950s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Yn7YYlC2g

Offline Hugo

« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2017, 12:42:03 am »
Makes me feel really old now as I can remember going on the trams and the old Toast track ones ibn the Summer months

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2017, 08:16:56 am »
I travelled on the trams every day for years. I hated the bus competitors Crosville because they, Crosville, were determined to drive the trams out of business. In the end of course they succeded

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2017, 09:19:55 am »
The only steam miniature railway I can remember was on the Colwyn Bay Promenade but it only run from the entrance to Eirias Park to the Pier.
I think the train & carriages were housed in a building by Eirias Park and there may be a photo on here of it

Nice video Steve and that's the only one I can remember

That was closed in 1988-9 and the engines and coaches were housed in a tunnel constructed at the far end of the track. from the pier.   Its closure was very sad, since it's exactly the sort of fun ride many would love today.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #279 on: December 17, 2017, 11:00:30 am »
Like Hugo really feel old now.
Can remember travelling on the trams including the Toastracks.
Remember going to see the Dambusters film, released in 1955 at the Palladium and sitting in the gods with Ivor Shields. Late in the evening we came out and it was still hot and catching a Toastrack to travel back to Penrhynside. I think it had been a budy summer day as we had to wait a while for another tram to come off the single line along Mostyn Street.
On arrival back in Penrhynside we went to the Chip shop opposite the Cross Keys for a bag of chips.

Strange how I can remember these things, but, were did I leave my glasses ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2017, 01:17:48 pm »
As you got of the tram in Penrhynside the first thing in Pendre Road that you would see was that public toilet block.     It came in handy after a night on the    Z**

It's a long time since they closed them down

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »
The irony is that trams and trains are now being 'rediscovered' and proving a big tourist draw elsewhere.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2017, 05:36:14 pm »
When did the trams finish between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno?  I vaguely remember going on them ... I was born in 1949 and lived in Tal-y-Cafn ... a day out was train to Colwyn Bay, tram to Llandudno, train back to Tal-y-Cafn after spending the afternoon on the beach in Llandudno, with a stroll along the pier and a ride on a donkey!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »
DVT,     the Colwyn Bay and Llandudno Electric Railway ran from 1907  until it closed on the 24th March 1956

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2017, 06:42:00 pm »
The miniature railway between the pier and the Dingle opened on 29th June, 1953.  Originally steam, I think it closed for a period in the 1970s and reopened as diesel-hauled. As I remember the gauge was quite narrow (probably 7.25") and the engine was "Prince Charles".  The engine was kept in a shed alongside the Dingle stream.

On the topic of miniature railways, Llandudno once boasted two.  There was a short-lived one - two seasons in the early 1950s - on waste land at the rear of the Four Oaks Hotel, roughly where the swimming pool now is.  The other was up at the Great Orme Summit during the time it was run as a Holiday Centre by Randolph Turpin and Leslie Salts.  It is still possible to trace the line on the slope on the northern side of the Summit complex.  The engine was "Commodore Vanderbilt" which apparently still exists in private ownership.