Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 218761 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2017, 08:23:25 am »
I stand corrected
...said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.  :laugh:

Offline gaztrucker

old petrol filling stations
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2017, 09:28:18 pm »
hi heres another one !! i grew up in rhos, on penrhyn ave there was 3 petrol stations rhos county garage, hancocks and penrhyn service station all in less than a mile ! i remember penhryn coaches being based at the latter location used to go on school trips on their old bedford coaches . chris of alpine coaches fame used to drive for them.  anyway i seem to be drifting away from the topic does anyone remember how many petrol stations there were between west end and the black cat i'll leave this one with you and look forward to reading your replies

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: old petrol filling stations
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:37 am »
hi heres another one !! i grew up in rhos, on penrhyn ave there was 3 petrol stations rhos county garage, hancocks and penrhyn service station all in less than a mile ! i remember penhryn coaches being based at the latter location used to go on school trips on their old bedford coaches . chris of alpine coaches fame used to drive for them.  anyway i seem to be drifting away from the topic does anyone remember how many petrol stations there were between west end and the black cat i'll leave this one with you and look forward to reading your replies
Hmmm..thinking back to the 1970/80s..

Gordon Ford in the West End (had pumps at one time, I think?)
Braids/Lookers in the West End (sold National petrol, I recall)
2 petrol stations opposite each other in middle of Mochdre
1 petrol station just past the Village Hall in Mochdre (now Alpine Motors)
Black Cat at Glan Conwy Corner

Have I missed any?

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2017, 01:58:17 pm »
Did Hollindrakes sell fuel? On Princess Drive

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2017, 02:03:55 pm »
Francis Garage - where Lidl is now.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2017, 12:31:38 pm »
I remember the statues of the monks on the gateposts at the Rhos Fynach in the 1970s/80s, but it was called 'Cegin Y Mynach' then - 'Monk's Kitchen'.

[smg id=3370]

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2017, 02:40:05 pm »
Lucky you ! ... I remember them in the 50/60s   :( :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2017, 06:32:48 pm »
I remember the statues of the monks on the gateposts at the Rhos Fynach in the 1970s/80s, but it was called 'Cegin Y Mynach' then - 'Monk's Kitchen'.

[smg id=3370]

There are still a couple of monks statues at the Rhos Fynach, very eroded... I saw at least one last time I was there.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2017, 07:01:06 pm »
This is not about times past in Rhos. Anything but.
  Nines cafe on the front. Reportedly purchased by Parasellas of Conwy. Maybe a romantic connection of personal number plates here. The headline:

"EMA OWEN meets RHOS BOY"

in case you don't know Ema Owen is a prominent member of the Parasella family. nines sin is the Rhos boy. Ema,s number plate is actually ema8wen I'm not sure what Rhos boys actually is.

By the way I know both of them and I know they won't object to this publicity. After all anyone who doctors their number plates is hardly a shrinking violet

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
Going back to the petrol stations between Gordon ford and the black cat. Dave r has got a better distance memory than me, and I think mine is fine. But try as I might I cannot remember one as you left Mochdre. Are you sure Dave R? Anyway you are bound to be the winner. I had forgotten about the two in the middle of Mochdre. One owned by quinten hazel later to be the famous quinten hazel

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2017, 09:05:57 am »
Going back to the petrol stations between Gordon ford and the black cat. Dave r has got a better distance memory than me, and I think mine is fine. But try as I might I cannot remember one as you left Mochdre. Are you sure Dave R? Anyway you are bound to be the winner. I had forgotten about the two in the middle of Mochdre. One owned by quinten hazel later to be the famous quinten hazel
The one going out of Mochdre is a car sales place now, next to National Tyres (see pic below).

I take it the one owned by Quinton Hazel was on the right as you approached from Colwyn Bay? I remember my Dad and I exploring it when it was derelict, there was a car repairs area in the back and offices upstairs.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:44 am »
Just to add to my original list, Mochdre Garage (owned by the Gostages, I think) had Esso petrol pumps outside back in the 1950s:

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #267 on: September 16, 2017, 11:03:46 pm »
hi dave re:the lost petrol stations just put a post on times past with what i can remember cheers mate

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:10 pm »
This the Colwyn Bay prom of my childhood, happy days...

Click image for larger version.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2017, 02:02:37 pm »
I spy the miniature railway, removed just before our two were old enough to enjoy it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.