Author Topic: Railways  (Read 60688 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Railways
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2019, 03:31:59 pm »
I have only just found this Board and have enjoyed looking at the photos of the Ffestiniog Railway, plus Llangollen railway, Flying Scotsman and more. The trips I had on the Ffestiniog Railway and Llangollen Railway were always a wonderful experience. It is due to the hard work of the volunteers that we can relive the days of steam and trains as they used to be (better than these days).

The railways of North Wales are in my blood, could be in the genes too. My mother worked for the LMS in Llandudno station and Deganwy station in WW2. My grandfather was on the LMS but started on the LNER. He was in Llandudno, the Junction and other stations from time to time. He then went on to the commercial side of things and built up that business. He was once offered Chester station but my grandmother refused to move to Chester (from Llandudno), saying it was too damp. She claimed the river brought in the damp and the walls held it in. My gt grandfather started in Mold and later went to Holyhead where he remained until he retired. Then a gt gt grandfather worked in Mold station from 1851 until he died in the 1880s. He started as a Porter and worked his way up to Head Porter!

I am sure I remember my mother talking about the Flying Scotsman coming to Llandudno and breaking speed records for the journey to London. She told me the time it took for the journey and it was less than the current Virgin trains. Does anyone know if that was right?

The train travel in WW2 sounded as though Llandudno station was at its heyday with all the troops coming in and evacuees arriving from London etc.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »
We have enjoyed walking along a number of disused railway tracks in North Wales such as Dyserth to Prestatyn,   Bethesda to Bangor,  The Mawddach Estuary but my favourite one from the engineering point of view is the one from Cwm Prysor to Trawsfynydd.
The line is carved into the hillside high above the main road and goes over a curved viaduct and there are breathtaking views from it.

I've attached some photos of Cwm Prysor again and also a link to some old photos of the line 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJtnZWCoLk

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2019, 08:40:09 am »
If there were still any investors around prepared to take a chance that would make a wonderful Swiss-style mountain railway and become a great tourist attraction in its own right. Sadly, and it's been the same for as long as I can remember, no one in the UK has the courage to invest.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2019, 09:42:02 am »
This is when and where you can see the Flying Scotsman in 2019
Here are all the dates and locations for the UK tour of one of the best-known steam trains in the world.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/you-can-see-flying-scotsman-16012643

Offline mull

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2019, 09:33:55 pm »
For those interested in North wales Railways the July edition of Back track magazine has Part Two of the Forgotten Branches of North East Wales.
This is the Kinmel Camp and Foryd Harbour Branch. An interesting read , I never realised there was a railway line into the army camp.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:05 am »
That would be an interesting read Mull, have you got a link to it?      When I lived in Towyn in the 1970's I used to wander through the fields picking mushrooms and came across a rail track and that track seemed to be heading to the quarries in St George so it'll be nice to find out more.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2019, 11:47:49 am »
Put. " Kimmel camp railway."  And ." Foryd station" in your search engine for more details.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2019, 04:07:04 pm »
Thanks, Mull.

Called at WHS in Colwyn Bay and then Llandudno today.  The Back Track mags for July were all returned yesterday when they received the August edition.  Seems a bit daft to me - you'd expect the July edition to be on sale throughout the month, not binned half way through.  Modern living I suppose.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2019, 09:38:15 am »
A friend of mine who had been following this thread sent me an e-mail which said       " Railway at Kimmel camp the outline of the  old level crossing is still visible on the Abergele to Rhuddlan  Road  almost opposite the new solar panel farm ,there is a lodge which I presume is for the original Kimmel Estate ,also when the camp was constructed there was also a narrow gauge railway in the confines of the camp I will send you a photo"

That was interesting for me to hear because that was the field where I was picking mushrooms so it's nice to get a confirmation that there was a railway there at one time.   My memory is rather vague of the actual line but I can remember wooden railway sleepers still being there but not if the metal rails were there too.
I remember not long afterwards I had to make a visit to that farm with my job and I got on very well with the farmer's wife and she very kindly said to me       " there are a lot of mushrooms in the fields and I would be welcome anytime to go and help myself and pick them "             :-[

Offline Hugo

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »
Rhuddlan very kindly sent me this link which will be very interesting for those people interested in Railways.     Just scroll down and you can see all about the Kinmel Camp railway and a diagram shows the route of the track and where it branches off to the camp and also to the quarry

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1606e.htm

Offline mull

« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2019, 10:57:39 am »
Hi Hugo.
Thought you would be interested in that one. I have been away from Mull for nearly 4 weeks, holiday in Porthcurno , Cornwall and not had access to a printer otherwise I would have sent you a copy. Not sure how legal it is to post a copy of the magazine article on here without permission of the magazine. Don't want this site getting in trouble. Perhaps the Moderator could give guidance on this.
Now back on Mull and feels and looks like November. The garden looks like a jungle there has been so much rain here. Will be a busy week or so getting it looking good again, that's if the rain stops.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2019, 11:07:29 am »
It's fine to post extracts from a magazine, providing we credit the magazine in the post.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:30 am »
A SPECIAL steam train will run along the length of the Conwy Valley line to celebrate its reopening and the start of the National Eisteddfod.                                             (sorry no dates mentioned)

The line, which was closed in March due to extensive flooding, fully reopened to the public last week.

The train, hauled by double headed steam locos, Nos 48151 and 45690, will run from Chester to Blaenau Ffestiniog, also stopping at Llandudno Junction on the way.             https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17810056.steam-train-celebrate-eisteddfod-reopening-conwy-valley-line/

PS  Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways has arranged an additional trip for passengers to continue their journey from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Tan-y-Bwlch on the historical narrow gauge railway. The train will depart Blaenau Ffestiniog at 13:10, returning at 15:45.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2019, 02:15:56 pm »
The train runs tomorrow (Saturday 3rd) and leaves Chester at 0934 reaching the Junction at 1034.  Stop for water, getting to Blaenau at 1310. It will call at Llanrwst  North at 1207. Return working is Blaenau depart at 1600, Llanrwst at 1649, Junction at 1727 and arriving at Chester at 1915.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2019, 03:02:03 pm »
Thanks Cambrian   $good$