Members' Lounge > Hobbies and Interests

Railways

<< < (33/46) > >>

Bri Roberts:
Very interesting, Cambrian.

My family connection is my Gt Gt Grandfather and his family moved into the Railway Cottage at Maesdu well before Maesdu Bridge was built.

As a child, my Gt Grandmother, Elizabeth, used to open and close the crossing gates and developed the nickname Lizzie Crossing.

As a consequence, her sons (my uncles);were eventually nicknamed locally as Joe Crossing and Dai Crossing.

SteveH:
Freight trains return to North Wales rail line for first time in years after quarry upgrade
A train carrying hundreds of tons of stone recently travelled from North Wales to Liverpool

It was the first train from the railhead since 2012 and the first freight train on the coast line since trains carrying nuclear flasks from Wylfa power station ceased in 2019.

The upgrading work has been carried out as part of Hanson Aggregates’ rail strategy to reduce vehicle movements and cut associated CO2 emissions.

Hanson have invested approximately £300,000 to repair, renew, and refurbish the facility.

This includes upgrades to the railhead conveyor that was last used in 2012, before which the rail link was used on a regular basis to supply ballast to Network Rail.

The first train, operated by GB Railfreight, consisted of 23 wagons which are capable of carrying up to 80 tons of material with each service capable of carrying the equivalent of 110 lorry loads.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/freight-trains-return-north-wales-22722663

SAJ:

--- Quote from: Cambrian on October 27, 2021, 02:59:22 pm ---Fascinating social history there guys.  It's a shame that there's such a preoccupation with locos, trains and engineering structures rather than the human stories of the railways.

--- End quote ---

Here's an interesting bit of social history from 1871. Thomas Barlow was married to Margaret Jones, sister of my Great-grandmother, Harriet who married Robert Thomas. (Their son, John was the husband of Nain Thomas, Cwm Place, known to Hugo).As far as I can determine, Thomas and Margaret had 11 children, at least one of whom died in infancy. There is a further article from the same year detailing his success with his garden potato crop which produced a massive yield. The variety he planted, for any gardeners interested, was “Bovinia”.

SteveH:
How HS2 could look in North Wales as rail group renews calls to electrify the coast line
Currently the high speed rail service is not set to enter Wales despite the project being classed as an England and Wales project

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-hs2-could-look-north-23931179

SteveH:
Real ale and steam fans will be raising a glass to the return of a popular beer festival which helps put North Wales tourism on the tracks. The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways' ?Cwrw ar y Cledrau? real ale festival is back after several years on the buffers due to the pandemic.

The 'Rail Ale' festival as it is also known, is in its 16th year, and returns to the historic Dinas Station, near Caernarfon, from Friday, June 10, until Saturday, June 11. Originally, the brain child of the Welsh Highland Railway Society, largely organised by volunteers, the festival is run in conjunction with the railway company.

Organisers say, whilst it proves to be "massively popular" with local families the event also give a "huge boost" to Gwynedd and nearby Anglesey's tourism and trade.

The festival provides a vast array of ales, beers and ciders from across, Wales, many from the area's microbreweries, and they are made available in the historic Goods Shed at Dinas Station, which is transformed into a ?tap-room.?

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/ffestiniog-welsh-highland-railways-real-24172181

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version