Author Topic: Railways  (Read 60731 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Railways
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:32:29 am »
 $cool$

LMS 8F class 2-8-0 heavy freight locomotive. (In BR livery)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:17 am »
With having no locomotive on the rear it did a run round at Blaenau and came down tender first, a strange sight seeing a big black flat fronted loco coming towards you with the steam coming out further back.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 02:30:39 pm »
This site has some good pics on it from years ago (all copyrighted!)

http://www.2d53.co.uk/index.htm
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »
Not exactly a main line railway but I had forgotten about this miniature one.

http://www.abergelepost.com/460.html/gwrych-station

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 02:43:32 pm »
Hugo - I can remember seeing the one at Gwrych but don't recall actually travelling on it.  One miniature railway also forgotten is the one near the summit complex on the Great Orme.  I do remember going on this and, of course, both places were operated at the time by Leslie Salts/Randolph Turpin. Last time I was up the Orme I thought I could see a small cutting through which the railway passed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 06:00:14 pm »
I can't remember that one either Cambrian!   Maybe I'm having too many senior moments or your memory years are longer than mine.   ;D
I can remember the one on Colwyn Bay Prom though but perhaps that one is a more recent one.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »
The Colwyn Bay prom one was opened on 29th June 1953 - may be some reports in the newspapers at the time Hugo.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 06:29:27 pm »
The railway was built, we believe, around 1948 (named after then then new-born Prince), and operated by the local council for a while until sold to a private operator, believed to be a Mr Wilkinson, in 1952. The mixture of cars in this postcard is redolent of that period, with some pre-war black ones and a couple of 'modern' types.

The locomotive was sold (does it still exist) was replaced in 1971 by a 'Hymek'-style diesel model, and later by a very ugly internal-combustion locomotive named Dylan, which can be seen along with other views of the line, on a flickr website run by 'trainsandstuff.' The great changes of the 1980s, as the new A55 road was driven through the town and the shopping centre was built on the railway goods yards site, also saw the end of the railway, which (we believe) closed in 1987. Special thanks to David Lloyd and George Jones for help with this item.

Colwyn Bay has seen at least three other miniature railways. One apparently ran in Eirias Park around 1970, and another, portable, system, known as the 'Narrower Gauge Railway' - built by a Richard Morris - was installed in the same Park in 1991, and ran for a few years.

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1112c.htm

Offline dwsi

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »
Colwyn Bay Miniature Railway 1985 - a set on Flickr http://bit.ly/xPuOVF

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »
We had a great day yesterday at the llangollen Railway, to be precise, at Glyndyfrdwy station. We had our Triumph Spitfire on display which gave us free entry and free rides on the railway  D)  We travelled behind Britannia to Llangollen and wow did that engine sound great! then back from Llangollen behind Tornado, only built around 4 years ago, remarkable! The railway is well worth a visit!

Tornado

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
We were driving home from Moelfre yesterday when a friend said that he was curious about a bridge that was sited in a field in Pentraeth Anglesey that had no apparent purpose. When we reached the Bull Inn in Pentraeth we stopped and had a look at the bridge and true enough there wasn't a river beneath it or a train track although to its southern side was the possibility of a cutting in the field.
Anyway he found this item on the internet and it was a cattle/pedestrian bridge over the railway that went to Benllech.
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/wales/archive/bbc-north-west-wales-history-red-wharf-bay-railway.pdf

Offline hollins

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 05:46:02 pm »
I saw these two wonderful wooden models of trains in an opticians shop window and thought they may be of interest to any railway enthusiasts out there. The first photo is a Spanish train and the second an American one.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 10:19:07 pm »
Superb!  BBC 4 had a documentary about the train set last week. 'Twas an interesting watch.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 11:10:57 pm »
Excellent models! There is a good series of programmes on BBC2 at the moment about the building of the Welsh Highland Railway, on at 7pm, the first two programmes have been shown last night and tonight, I expect it is on I player though.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:30 am »
Fantastic craftsmanship and attention-to-detail in those models.

I wonder if they remain unpainted because it would detract from the grain of the wood, or such like?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -